PDA

View Full Version : I found a brand new cousin.

Burrow Digger
03-05-2006, 2:42 PM
I am still in shock. Twelve hours ago I received an email from a woman in New Zealand (which is my original home country) who mentioned a post I had put up here on BG. The real shock is that it was pertaining to my mothers side of the family. My mother was adopted. I really was not expecting to find anyone.

Anyway she asked how was I related because the name I mentioned was her 3x gt grandfather. He was my 3x gt grandfather well, so I emailed her back and explained my descent.

It turns out she is my 3rd cousin!!!!! Her gt grandmother and my gt grandfather were brother & sister. Her grandmother and my grandmother were first cousins and were very good friends when they were growing up.

I think - I hope - my mother will be pleased to make some small contact with her original family. I know I am thrilled. :)

Burrow Digger

Copper
03-05-2006, 4:20 PM
Wow great news. Congratulations.

AnnB
03-05-2006, 6:39 PM
That's fantastic BD :D

I have 'found' a 3rd cousin of my husband's through these forums - and she and I have become the best of friends - and we've broken down a few brick walls between us (two brains always being better that one ;) )

Best wishes
Ann

Sandra Parker
04-05-2006, 1:31 AM
I can only echo your thrill of finding 'unknown' family. Only those who have done this can understand the disbelief, excitement, rush to share, and feeling of great joy and satisfaction, sense of belonging and more, all rolled into one.

My Mum's family was totally unknown and I now have photos of a whole generation of GGGrandparents, GG aunts and Uncles, and a wonderful corresponding family, who belong to me.|woohoo| |cheers| |jumphappy
Sandra

ChristineR
04-05-2006, 3:23 AM
|jumphappy

Christine

Rove
04-05-2006, 8:28 AM
Hi Burrow Digger

I'm very happy for you too
The same thing happened with me about ten months back. I found three brothers all close to 80yrs old who's great grandfather and mine were brothers living on the Isle of Wight but moved to London c1900. I never knew they existed and the three of them said that they believed they had absolutely no relatives. Two of them are married the other never married and none of them have any children.

The best of this story is that one of them that lives in Canada come over to Melbourne with his wife in Feb this year to meet me and all my family. They were thrilled to bits. Extremely nice couple. They brought with them a large number of old photos and gave me 40 of these photos, some showing relatives that were born c1790.

This has been a great find for me. I never had any plans to visit Canada but with a bit of luck we might be flying to Vancouver in the near future.

The other two brothers both live in England are very private persons so I doubt if I'll ever meet them but I do have photos of them.

Cheers.

Ladkyis
04-05-2006, 9:24 AM
Wonderful news! congratulations. I had the same experience 5 years ago when I connected with family in Melbourne so I know how you feel - |woohoo| |woohoo|

Ann

Burrow Digger
04-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Latest update - Yes my mother wants to meet with my new cousin (mom's second cousin once removed).

I found this woman's name/address online (white pages are so easy) and passed that to mom, so she will make the first phone call.

I hope they both tell me what happens. :)

BD

joette
04-05-2006, 1:07 PM
Brilliant especially when she was adopted & had no "handed down history" of her original family.
Hope all goes well & it such a thrill to make the connections of which I have made a few.

Ron Leech
05-05-2006, 7:19 AM
Well done BD.

GeoffD
23-05-2006, 9:01 PM
Aye, it's grand to find people. As followers of the Cornwall Forum would know, I was a bit brick-walled on my Drew line at Edward George Drew (g-g-grandfather). Then, within the sapce of a few days, a third cousin found me through Genes Reunited and another third cousin found me through BG. These cousins were unknown to each other, but are now corresponding through my intervention. And now, another of their cousins will be visiting from New Zealand in August-September. What is more, the cousin that found me through BG is in possession of Edward George Drew's diary cum Bible. Now we have discovered that EG Drew's nephew migrated to Victoria in 1854, giving us a whole new line of research to follow.

If only I could have a similar breakthrough with the mob that came out of Fermanagh.

Burrow Digger
24-05-2006, 5:09 AM
Latest update on my new cousin. :)

Well she and my mother have met, had a chat, exchanged photos etc. The cousin will be sending me copies of those photos and newspaper clippings pertaining to mum's side of the family. She is also encouraging Mum to contact her half sisters. The cousin's mother knew them years ago, but apart from knowing a current snailmail address, has not had any recent contact.

Mum wants to send them a letter and introduce herself (hi I'm your older half sister - your mom had me before she married your dad LOL). I do hope they are open to meeting her.

I think mum wants to do this now before she passes on. She is almost 70 years old. 20 years ago she was most adamant she didnt need to know anything about her original family. Its taken that long for me to make any progress on her family. :)

I'll close off this thread now. If my mother does make contact with her half-sisters, I'll start a new thread. :)

I am missing all the action. I wish I hadn't left NZ. :( LOL

BD