PDA

View Full Version : GRO Indexes on Ancestry

Peter Goodey
28-04-2006, 5:13 PM
Has Ancestry still got the GRO indexes (images) and are they still free?

I seem to be having trouble finding it. Anyone got a URL?

ET in the USA
28-04-2006, 5:15 PM
They were yesterday.

Peter Goodey
28-04-2006, 5:29 PM
|banghead|

I know the URL of ancestry. I want the URL of the GRO indexes on Ancestry.

Jo Simpsons
28-04-2006, 6:05 PM
It used to be under Beta but is now under England & Wales, BMD Index on the home page.

Jo :)

Rod Neep
28-04-2006, 6:11 PM
Users should be aware that the term "free" on those web pages means that "registration is free", not that the subscription is free. Nor that searching and displaying of the results is free.

One would be well advised to read the terms and conditions very carefully. Essentially, if one does not cancel the 7 day trial, then one's credit card will be charged.

Rod

Mythology
28-04-2006, 6:22 PM
"Nor that searching and displaying of the results is free."

No doubt it will cost in the future, Rod, but at present you do not need to give a credit card number in order to view the GRO index images on Ancestry.

To view these, you are not signing up to a free trial, you only have to give an e-mail address, and although it *says* they will send you a confirmation e-mail, which presumably gives you some sort of guest password, you don't need this either.
You can enter any old rubbish e-mail address and it lets you in for that session.
I have lost count of how many dud e-mail addresses I've given them so far.

Edit:
I am currently Mary Ann Smith, because that's who I'm looking for, with an e-mail address of lawshall@sudbury.com because that's the village and registration district where I reckon she married - see, I am logical sometimes! ;)

Peter Goodey
28-04-2006, 8:47 PM
Thank you very much for the URL folks. That was just what I wanted. They seem to have rejigged things and the bookmark I had didn't work. Also I couldn't seem to see the database in the list.

And I'm certainly not so green as to let my credit card number anywhere near that crew unless I'm sure that I'm in control of things.

ET in the USA
28-04-2006, 8:56 PM
And I'll say "Sorry Peter". "What is the URL" seemed a strange question coming from you, but I was half out the door. I booked a computer at my local library where the entire Ancestry is free and my memory stick and I had a hot date with the 1841. :)
Who knew 1 G of memory could go so fast !

Peter Goodey
29-04-2006, 7:41 AM
And I'll say "Sorry Peter"

No problems, ET. As you can see I've got the answer now. I still haven't really worked out why I couldn't see it in the list of databases...:confused: