PDA

View Full Version : Nautical news?

lizziebeth
30-10-2004, 8:37 PM
I have a copy of the marriage certificate for my paternal great great grandparents, on which it states that my great great great grandfather was a ship owner. The marriage was in scotland in 1871, and i live in suffolk! Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can discover any more information about this?? Many thanks, Lizziebeth

Guy Etchells
30-10-2004, 8:55 PM
There may be a reference in Lloyds Register (over 100 tons) published annually since 1775.
The Board of Trade Merchantile Navy List (1851)
Tax records, all I think accessable at the National Archives Kew.
Possibly at the Guildhall Library London as well.
Cheers
Guy

lizziebeth
30-10-2004, 9:02 PM
many thanks for your information, i will do some searching to see if i can find out more
thanks again
lizziebeth

Geoffers
30-10-2004, 9:38 PM
[I have a copy of the marriage certificate for my paternal great great grandparents, on which it states that my great great great grandfather was a ship owner. The marriage was in scotland in 1871, and i live in suffolk! Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can discover any more information about this?? Many thanks, Lizziebeth]

As well as the suggestions made by Guy.....

1) If he owned a ship, he can't have been short of a bob or two, did he leave a will? This may name any vessels/companies in which he had an interest.

2) Do you know where the 3xgt grandfather lived? (try census returns, especially 1881 if he lived that long) Find out where he lived and you can then check local directories and newspapers (The British Library's newspaper library is in Colindale Avenue in London, which will be closer to you).

3) Find the name of a ship and you might try the National Maritime Museum for more information (e.g. they have a large collection of photographs).

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

lizziebeth
30-10-2004, 10:10 PM
[I have a copy of the marriage certificate for my paternal great great grandparents, on which it states that my great great great grandfather was a ship owner. The marriage was in scotland in 1871, and i live in suffolk! Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can discover any more information about this?? Many thanks, Lizziebeth]

As well as the suggestions made by Guy.....

1) If he owned a ship, he can't have been short of a bob or two, did he leave a will? This may name any vessels/companies in which he had an interest.

2) Do you know where the 3xgt grandfather lived? (try census returns, especially 1881 if he lived that long) Find out where he lived and you can then check local directories and newspapers (The British Library's newspaper library is in Colindale Avenue in London, which will be closer to you).

3) Find the name of a ship and you might try the National Maritime Museum for more information (e.g. they have a large collection of photographs).

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire
Geoffers,
Many thanks for your suggestions, i know very little about the family that far back, but they all lived in the glasgow area or thereabouts. Is there a way that you know of that i could find out about a will. All of my ancestors in this line are now deceased, so there is no one i can ask for more info.
Many thanks

Geoffers
31-10-2004, 5:42 PM
[Many thanks for your suggestions, i know very little about the family that far back, but they all lived in the glasgow area or thereabouts. Is there a way that you know of that i could find out about a will. All of my ancestors in this line are now deceased, so there is no one i can ask for more info.
Many thanks]

There is an annual index of wills and admons (letters of administration, granted where no will was left). This should be accessible for you in Suffolk. The index has been copied onto microfilm and can be seen at many Local Studies' Libraries/County Record Offices. It is typed and easy to use, the vast majority of entries are very clear on film.

Entries are indexed during the year in which probate was granted, so if there was a dispute over a will, you may have to search for several years after death to actually locate the entry you want.

The index is useful in itself. It contains the name, date and place of death, date and palce probate (or admon) was granted, value of estate. Also, name(s) of executor(s) and usualy either their relationship to the deceased and/or ocupation and/or town of residence.

If you find an entry, note down everything and apply for a copy of the will to:

The Postal Searches and Copies Dept
The Probate Registry
Duncombe Place
York
YO1 7EA
Te. 01904 624210

The fee is 5, If you cannot get to a cente where the index of wills is kept, you can pay the Probate Registry to search for you, but this could get expensive.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Mary Young
31-10-2004, 7:47 PM
Hi, Lizziebeth
Would your ancestor have died in Suffok, England (where you live now). Or in Glasgow, Scotland?

lizziebeth
31-10-2004, 8:30 PM
Hi, Lizziebeth
Would your ancestor have died in Suffok, England (where you live now). Or in Glasgow, Scotland?
Hello Mary,
I believe he would have died in scotland, i have very little information about him really,he was my 3xgt grandfather on my fathers side and apart from some vague information about him being a ship owner, i dont know much more. I know that his son got married in 1871 in the Parish of Dunino, County of Fife, and that his wifes name was Elizabeth (Swan) who pre-deceased him. Thats about all i have.

Mary Young
31-10-2004, 11:16 PM
Hello, Lizziebeth
Perhaps he was still alive in 1881? I could lookup the Scotland census for you (the LDS on-line "UK" census does not include Scotland).

lizziebeth
01-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Hello Mary,
He may have been alive in 1881, and it would be really great if you could lookup the Scotland census for me, how much information do you need to have? I am very new to this forum type of thing, so is it ok to put it all down here, or should i send it to you via another means?
Thanks Lizziebeth

Mary Young
01-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Hello Lizziebeth
Please let me have his full name and approx. year of birth. Also useful would be place of birth, and wife/children who might be in the household.
Clicking on my name above this message will take you to a link to email me privately. It might be better to post here. Then your message will be archived - who knows, it might lead to a family contact in the future.

lizziebeth
02-11-2004, 9:31 PM
Hello again Mary,
Thanks for offerring to help with my query, i will give you all the information that I have, I am not sure if it will be enough, as it isn't very much.
His name was Alexander Donaldson and his profession is entered as "Ship Owner". He was married to Elizabeth (Swan) who I know was deceased in 1871 when their son, John Alexander married Euphemia Cruickshank on 27/5/1871.I do not know if there were any other children. I have got this information from a copy of the marriage certificate of John and Euphemia, and on there the usual residence is listed as Lawhead, Parish of Cameron.The marriage took place at Denino Den. John Alexander was born in 1849, so i can only estimate the year of birth of Alexander as anywhere between 1819-1829, i am sorry this is a bit vague, but thats all i have.Heres hoping that you can help. If it is not enough information, then thank you for trying,and i will keep on searching for more details.
Lizziebeth

Mary Young
03-11-2004, 4:48 PM
Hi, Lizziebeth
A search (IGI only) at www.familysearch.org for Alexander DONALDSON & Elizabeth SWAN shows their marriage on Oct.2 1825 at Cupar, Fife. They had 11 children born in various Fife parishes - starting in Balmerino, then Leuchars, Forgan, Kilmany and finally St Andrews Parish. John Alexander DONALDSON was the youngest recorded, Oct 24 1847 (not 1849).
Most of these places, plus Lawhead and Denino where John Alexander was married in 1871, are farming communities. This pattern of moving around every few years is typing of agricultural workers, I wonder if "ship owner" was a flight of fancy of John's part when he married! Or his father may have come up in the world between 1825 and 1871.
Have searched the 1881 Scotland for father Alexander without success. As he married in 1825 (probably born before 1805), he may well have died between 1871 and 1881.
Have also searched all ship owners in Scotland. Only Donaldson is Archibald F. Donaldson, shipowner in Dumbarton, born c.1842 in Glasgow but definitely *not* a child of Alexander & Elizabeth.
BTW do you know whereabouts of John Alexander and wife Effy in 1881? Had they emigrated perhaps?
There are loads of Donaldsons in North Fife - even 6 Donaldsons on memorials in Denino Churchyard.
Perhaps you could post a message on the Fife Board. Someone may have the 1841 census for the portion you're interested in.
Hope this has been help. Please mail me privately if you don't know your way around.

lizziebeth
03-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Hello again Mary,
Many thanks for searching for me, and for finding out such a lot more information! I think maybe there could be a grain of truth in what you said about the "ship owner" being a flight of fancy, it did not really seem to fit in with anything else i had, most of my other ancestors in this line seeming to have been journeyman blacksmiths or similar! Well i suppose we can all dream, cant we! I do know that John and Effie had at least one child, Robert who was born in 1873,in scotland, havent checked for details, but he married on 2/6/1893 in Clydebank,Old Kilpatrick, to Mary Boag. His occupation is entered as apprentice brassfinisher, and Mary was a French Polisher. I remember many years ago my fathers oldest brother telling me that when they married, she kept her name as part of the surname-thus becoming Boag-Donaldson!It doesnt seem to have been kept up by subsequent generations though!I will follow your advice and post a message on the Fife board. I appreciate your help very much and may well call upon your expertise again, if you have no objection.
Carol

Mary Young
03-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Hi, Carol
Glad to be of help, I enjoy a puzzle!
Thanks for info. on Robert DONALDSON born 1873. Yesterday I couldn't find the family in the IGI, maybe I was searching on "Cruickshank" without the "s".
Found children, Mary Elizabeth b.Dec. 3 1871; and twins Robert & Alexander b.May 5 1873, all registered in Cramond, Midlothian (now a suburb of Edinburgh).
I found the family in Edinburgh, 1881 - guess what, John is a blacksmith! Just those 3 children iat home. The mother, Effy was 44 by then, perhaps the twins were her last.
Glad you posted to the Fife Board. Anything else I can do, just ask.