PDA

View Full Version : George Nicholson and Lily Mounsey

Linda 8
22-04-2006, 6:34 PM
I have established that my gg grandparents were married in Cockermouth in 1882 and had that their son John was born that year. I am trying to find out what happened after John Nicholson's birth. I can't find Lily after her marriage and have tried the 1901 census and bdm. I have only just started researching and am completely stumped at this point. Lily appears on the 1871 census living in Manchester aged 6, then the 1881 she's living in Portinscale (Keswick) with her uncle William Bragg. John's family settled back in Manchester (Failsworth) then Todmorden. If anyone has any information I would be very grateful.
thanks
Linda

uksearch
23-04-2006, 1:45 PM
Hello and welcome. Could you please some clarify some things for me? What are the full names of the people who married in Cockermouth. If possible could you supply the details of the marriage. What is Lily's full name? Do you have the Census piece numbers? If not can you supply full details of where they lived etc... the more information you supply, the more likely that someone may be able to help you;) .

UK

Linda 8
24-04-2006, 11:11 PM
As far as I can establish George Nicholson and Lily Mounsey are their full names, their marriage was at St john's in the Vale Cockermouth 27/04/1882. I know that John Nicholson (b1882 dec quarter - Cockermouth) moved to Manchester and married Martha Ann Davidson in Prestwich 17 Nov 1906, they had 4 boys James, John, George, and William and 3 girls Marion, Martha and Ann. John Nicholson was a miner and in the Royal Military Police and died approx 1918 I don't know if it was during active service or in the mine. I also know that George Nicholson's father was Isaac Nicholson b1860 St John's in the Vale nr cockermouth. Lily Mounsey's parents were Ann Bragg 1830 and Thomas Edgar Mounsey 1835 from Keswick. I would like to know if anyone knows where they lived after 1882 as I am unable to find either of their death records and my grandfather never mentioned them.
thanks
Linda

uksearch
25-04-2006, 1:12 PM
There is a John H NICHOLSON who died aged 36 in the Chorlton RD in Apr qtr 1918 (8c 706).

UK

Linda 8
25-04-2006, 9:01 PM
I appreciate your help, looks likely that this is my g grandfather, I'll order the cert to confirm, many thanks
Linda

Linda N
26-03-2008, 9:12 AM
My name is Linda May Nicholson and I am married to George Reuben Nicholson. Our family lives in South Africa. My husband's father was John James Nicholson (born approx 1902 in the Cumberland District). His grandfather was Isaac Nicholson married to Mary (also from the Cumberland District). As far as I know, Isaac came out to South Africa with two of his brothers in law (Foley) when my husband's father was about 4 years old.

John James Nicholson had four children, John, George, Rosemary and Kenneth who all live in South Africa. John has five children and eleven grandchildren, Rosemary had four children and six grandchildren. My husband (George) has three children and two grandchildren.

I am sure that our family trees are related. Would love to hear from any of you !

bob graham
08-04-2008, 7:57 PM
I don't see any casualty of John Nicholson in the military police at www.gwgc.org (http://www.gwgc.org) or any deaths in the pits at www.dmm.org.uk (http://www.dmm.org.uk) but you may like to check them yourself especially in the light of the second initial. Also are you going backwards from George and Lilly (note the 2 l's on freebmd index) and if so you can get both parents from a copy of their marriage cert.
bob

Lesley Lorraine
10-04-2008, 2:12 PM
Hi Linda & George,
Lesley Erasmus (Nicholson) here. I was looking to trace Grandpa Isaac Nicholsons family. The last time we saw you was when you came to us in Broederstroom. I'm also interested to know if there are any surviving siblings of Granny & Grandpa Nich. We have lost touch with everyone but was interested in trying to trace roots.
Regards, Lesley Erasmus

Linda N
11-04-2008, 7:44 AM
Hi Lesley,
Long time no hear. The only remaining sibling is Maude Sharp (nee Hiscock). She lives with her son at a fishing village on the Zambezi - Dan Sparg.
What has happended to Norman?

Lesley Lorraine
13-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Hi Lesley,
Long time no hear. The only remaining sibling is Maude Sharp (nee Hiscock). She lives with her son at a fishing village on the Zambezi - Dan Sparg.
What has happended to Norman?

Hi Linda,

I think the Hiscock family is George's Mums side of the family. Norman is living in Constantia Kloof in Roodepoort. He is keeping well. My sister Shirley, in Australia has our grandparents details "somewhere", I think she has copies of their birth certificates. She had to get them in about 1967 when Rhodesia was a pariah state and she had to get work permits for the UK. I have asked her for the details of where they were born etc. She will look for them and once I have them will post them on this site for you. I was going through all Isaac and Mary's (our grandparents) children's names - John (George's dad), Agnes, Winifred, Constance, Barbara, Dorothy, Valerie and my dad Frederick. If I remember correctly, there was a son who died very young. I don't think any of them are still alive. Lesley

Linda N
14-04-2008, 6:15 AM
Hi Lesley,
I realised after I had answered you that I had given you info from the Hiscock side. You are right - none of the siblings are still alive - the name of the one who died was Ivan, at the age of two.
Regards
Linda