PDA

View Full Version : death cetificate

searcher
13-04-2006, 6:29 PM
i am tryng to find out where i apply for a death certificite for shot at dawn
16734 pte h salter who was buried ingreen hill cemetary gallipoli.he was shot on the 11 dec 1915
also did he have a second name.
if any one can give me any information about this chap i would be very grateful.
i visited the war memorial in bridgwater and his name is not on it and you would think after all this time a full unconditional pardon would be given to each and every soldier shot.
any help would be geat
searcher

Mythology
13-04-2006, 6:48 PM
He should be in the War Deaths (Army - other ranks) index.
Even if you don't know his first name, just the initial H, you can still identify him among all the Harry/Henry/Herbert etc. Salter entries, as the index gives the army numbers, so just look for 16734 in that column.
You can then order the certificate through the GRO at Southport, just like a normal death certificate.

ET in the USA
13-04-2006, 7:04 PM
Is this Him ? Believe it or not, this is from the Commonwealth War Graves Website. Have you looked for a death cert among the Military records on 1837.com ? I ordered a birth cert. found on overseas records from GRO online just like a regular one.

Casualty Details
Name: SALTER, HARRY
Initials: H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment: East Lancashire Regiment
Unit Text: 6th Bn.
Date of Death: 11/12/1915
Service No: 16734
Additional information: Son of the late Daniel and Charlotte Salter, of Bridgwater, Somerset.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: I. G. 26.
Cemetery: GREEN HILL CEMETERY

searcher
14-04-2006, 10:04 AM
many thanks et in the usa you are spot on and also thank you mythology for your help.
i will now send for shot at dawn death certificate to add to pte harry salter
notes that i am collecting information about
thank you searcher

croonaert
07-10-2006, 3:16 PM
you would think after all this time a full unconditional pardon would be given to each and every soldier shot.

Why? Even those shot for murder, etc?

I think a case by case review would be far more beneficial than an unconditional pardon. Some certainly, by the law (military or civil) of the day deserved their fate.

Dave