PDA

View Full Version : How do I location a burial??

Julie Tyrell
02-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Sorry to sound so stupid, but I have no idea how I go about locating a burial.

Is there a register/list of where people are buried?

This is an area I have not looked into before and would appreciate any guidance (once again)

thanks Julie

Terry
02-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi Julie, firstly you need to know where the person died. There is no national listing for burials, burials being the preserve of either a church or a local cemetery and both keep their own records. I think your best way forward is to find out the area, and hopefully the death certificate will give you an address and its then a question of finding what burial locations there were near by.

Julie Tyrell
02-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Next stupid question

If I think the person belonged to a non-conformist church are they more likely to be buired within the cemetary of that church - I am talking about a burial in 1920. Or are people buried at the nearest site to their home, regardless of their denomination.

Peter Goodey
02-04-2006, 11:17 PM
The simple answer is that you look in the burial register of the church involved.

The more complicated answer depends on where and when.

You may find the National Burial Index useful. Despite it's name it is not national and is lousy value for money. Don't buy it - find it in a library. Alternatively you could try the incomplete online version at http://www.familyhistoryonline.net/

Mythology
02-04-2006, 11:43 PM
"I am talking about a burial in 1920."

Is this your Ramsgate people again?
If so, as we know that this particular chapel had a burial ground (a lot didn't) and that it was in use then (some used the municipal cemeteries when they got full up), then that does seem the most *likely* place.

"Likely" is by no means ceratin though - it's largely down to family wishes.
Just as one of many examples, one of my fellows, nothing special, not from some great landowning family or anything, he's running a pub in St Pancras in 1871, got married in 1875.
The bride is on the 1871 census in Stowmarket, Suffolk. Her father's nothing special either - he's a corn merchant's assistant.
She died in Marylebone in 1879.
She's buried back in Stowmarket.

(Edit. Perhaps I should add that this seems to be purely because of where her parents were living at the time, not because of any historic family connection with Stowmarket - father's born Cowlinge, mother Chedburgh and the girl herself Wickhambrook)

G.V.Ford
03-04-2006, 12:29 AM
I hope I am not being a Jonah, but non conformist chapels can be a problem in as much as they can go out of existance. I have a friend whose house is a converted independent n/c chapel from the 1920s and he has burials in what is now his garden. If records of who is buried there are extant they could be sitting in somebodies attic somewhere, unknown to anyone.

Geoff

Julie Tyrell
03-04-2006, 9:34 AM
Yes Mythology, this is my Ramsgate people.

Knowing that my nan married in Ebenezer chapel - non-conformist and that it still stands I was hoping to find the grave (or some form of burial records) for her half brother who died in 1922.
Also, I have found out that she had a cousin who also died in a tragic accident as a small child and that his grave is in Ramsgate, but I am not sure if that side of the family were non-conformists or not.

Thanks for all your help, I think a trip around a grave yard is the next step.
Julie

Julie Tyrell
03-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks to a very helpful man at the administration office of Thanet Crematorium, both graves have been located.

Thanks to everyone for their advise, Julie