PDA

View Full Version : Marl Bank, Claines Worcester

larry4907
26-03-2006, 10:56 AM
I have traced my family back to the village of Claines, Worcester, in 1860. I am trying to locate their old address, which is given as Marl Bank Cottage, Claines, Worcester
Can anybody tell me where this was (or is)?
I know there is a village a few miles away called Marlbank.

Thank You.

Geoffers
26-03-2006, 11:18 AM
You might try the Old maps web-site
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

In rural areas this shows many individual houses and may possibly highlight the location of the marl pit.

If it doesn't show the location, you may be able to at least narrow down the search by loking at the relation of the cottage to other, named properties in the census - and checking the enumerator's notes at the start of the book, which describes the area covered. The enumerator's description is often just "The whole of the parish of...." but some of them did describe the area covered in detail, from which it is possible to work out the route they took, and thus the relative position of properties.

Geoffers

Gravespy
30-06-2006, 7:46 PM
Hi

I have an idea the house in the grounds of Claines Church may be called Marlbank leave it with me and I will have alook.
In the meantime I am transcribing Claines School log book from 1872 until 1900 if you have any names tht fit into these years let me know.

Kindest Regards
Pam

Copper
30-06-2006, 9:01 PM
A twig on my Merry West branch were in Claines in this time frame. Sometimes they are in the census as Merry and sometimes they are West. If you could look out for any in the log book I would be most grateful.

Geoff Sansome
12-02-2008, 8:00 PM
Marl Bank was a grand House in Claines. This was when the parish stretched to the City Boundaries. It was situated at the foot of Rainbow Hill (formerly know as Red House Hill) and became famous as it was purchased by Sir Edward Elgar, eventually being demolished in the 1940's. It appears in a current article on the Claines Friends website at:

http://www.clainesfriends.org.uk/watkins.html

It is very possible that Marl bank cottages were associated with it.