PDA

View Full Version : WinREG - the software

Dave
22-03-2006, 8:47 PM
I have placed a temp download here

http://www.davejo.eclipse.co.uk/setup.exe

Windows Software for inputting data to FreeREG format, very similar to the DOS version

New url when I know it on FreeREG site

Dave

zozie
25-04-2006, 10:07 PM
I am trying to transcribe a set of baptisms using the WinREG software. Despite repeated attempts, I cannot get the file to save more than the first 4 entries. Any advice?

Also, is there a way to do a mass entry of data from a works file directly into a WinREG file?

Thanks,

Zozie

Dave
28-04-2006, 7:16 PM
Just a thought, , I solved this problem with someone else,.....yours may be the same

The date should be 04 Sep 1789

note the zero before the 4

1 - 9 are treated the same

The only way you can insert a works file is to save as cvs, with the correct heading as required by the reg format

Plese let us know if this does not work

Dave

Project manager

zozie
29-04-2006, 2:15 AM
I tried again, and the way I enter the date is not the issue. I still can't add new data to the file.

I tried starting a new file, with slight changes to the header, and after I exited, the file was nowhere to be found.

Am I the only one having trouble with the software?

Thanks,

Zozie

Jo Simpsons
29-04-2006, 10:10 AM
I have just been trying to do it. Something is not working as it was?

The dates I am putting in are changing Dave, an example,020464 is showing as Feb 0464. Other dates not working either.
The work I did was not saved either.
You could use speedreg, Zozie, while this is getting sorted out. Thats easy to use.
Jo :)

Kirk Dawson
29-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Zozie
If you have your data already in a works file you can convert it directly into a file suitable for entry into FreeREG without having to go through the process of re-entering it into WinREG or SpeedREG.

If you would like some help in doing a conversion email me at kirk.dawson@shaw.ca
Kirk

Dave
29-04-2006, 1:17 PM
I have just been trying to do it. Something is not working as it was?

The dates I am putting in are changing Dave, an example,020464 is showing as Feb 0464. Other dates not working either.
The work I did was not saved either.
You could use speedreg, Zozie, while this is getting sorted out. Thats easy to use.
the date must be 02041764 to work, 4 numbers for year

as this mock up+INFO,david@davejo.eclipse.co.uk,password,SEQUEN CED,BAPTISMS,cp437
#,CCC,Dave Newbury,Worcestershire,WORCLABA.CSV,29 Apr 2006
#,CREDIT,Dave Newbury,david@davejo.eclipse.co.uk
#,29 Apr 2006,,
WOR,Claines,,,,02 Apr 1764,John,M,John,Mary,ROSE,,,,

Jo Simpsons
29-04-2006, 3:03 PM
sorry Dave, rushing in to see if it was still going ok! Yep forgot to add 4 numbers. :o

T Horton
29-04-2006, 4:27 PM
Hello Zozie

Apologies for my very late reply to your problem. I have been extremely busy trying to improve the WinREG compilation system. Could you please send screenshots of this problem to my email address tom.horton (at) hotmail.co.uk so that I can see exactly what the problem is?

The good news for everyone is that the new version I am compiling will not be as restricted as the old version in terms of layout, and I am also trying to create ways of importing other data as well. Lots mmessage=Hello Zozie

Apologies for my very late reply to your problem. I have been extremely busy trying to improve the WinREG compilation system. Could you please send screenshots of this problem to my email address tom.horton (at) hotmail.co.uk so that I can see exactly what the problem is?

The good news for everyone is that the new version I am compiling will not be as restricted as the old version in terms of layout, and I am also trying to create ways of importing other data as well. Lots more to come.

If you could email me the information as soon as possible that would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Tom

rangerc
26-05-2006, 3:27 PM
Hi - could someone help me with this query; just started using WinReg tonight; the M or F field isn't saving. I often go back to a record and the Sex Field is blank. Any suggestions? Thanks
Colleen

Dave
26-05-2006, 3:35 PM
Which version number are you using?

Dave

T Horton
26-05-2006, 6:10 PM
Hi RangerC

This problem has been fixed in the latest version. I found this when I was updating various features a couple of weeks ago.

All should be OK now. You should be able to download a new version, but if not let me know.

Hope this is OK.

Tom

rangerc
27-05-2006, 12:30 AM
Dave: I'm using Version 0.9.0.2 Where do I need to go to download the latest version? Thanks to you and Tom for the prompt reply.

rangerc
27-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Tom - could you advise where I need to go to download the latest version? I'm using V0.9.0.2
Colleen

T Horton
27-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Let me know your email address and I can send you the latest copy.

Warning in advance that this will be at least a 1MB email. Would this be OK for you?

There are a lot more additional features since version 0.9. i.e. Image Viewer (so you can view images will you transcribe indexes etc.) and many others. Also, the layout may have changed slightly as well.

Let me know if there is anything that you would like to see in a future release of WinREG, as I am always willing to take into consideration any suggestions from users of WinREG.

Anyway, send me your email address and I will send you a copy.

Best Regards

Tom

rangerc
27-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks, Tom Could you send to colleenranger@ozemail.com.au
1MB will be okay

Peter Hyde
17-12-2006, 7:35 AM
Two related questions:
1. Will there be an updated version beyond 1.1.0.5, and if so, when?
2. Is there a place for uploading our wish-list for things to include in updated versions - or is this the place?

Thanks
Peter Hyde

T Horton
17-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Hi Peter

I can confirm there will be a new release of WinREG soon. We have spent a lot of time improving on the last version.

We are awaiting some final components in order to finalise the official release which will then be tested, and will obviously be available on the internet soon.

This is the place to put suggestions to or you can email me at the address below.

All criticism, suggestions etc. are welcome.

Hope this helps.

Peter Hyde
17-12-2006, 7:55 PM
Hi - the following list in no way implies criticism of the WinREG program - I am not a programmer and so have no idea which of these suggestions are technically possible. But, if you don't ask, you usually don't get - so I am asking!

Regards

Peter Hyde
Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada

WinREG 1.1.0.5

Update wish-list

1. General

1.1 The ability to hide the toolbar and the generic info above the data-entry area (County, Place, Credits etc) so that WinREG takes up less screen space, allowing for the register image to be as big as possible when working with a spit screen.

1.2 When it is necessary to go back into the entered data to make changes it would be good if, after clicking the Update button, the data list remained at the changed entry rather than reverting to the end/bottom of the data list. This would make it much easier to go down through already entered data looking for the next entry that contained an error.

1.3 Make it possible to edit entries in the list rather than having to double-click the entry and edit at the bottom of the screen.

1.4 Functions like: sort, find, replace would be a big bonus.

1.5 The Date box ‘remembers’ the month entry of the previous record – it would be good if it also ‘remembered’ the year entry.

1.6 The ability to change the default Transcription file location. The current location of \program files\WinREG\Transcription isn’t considered a “Data” location by most backup programs, so doesn’t get backed up without making changes to one’s backup routine. Allowing one to save into a folder in My Documents would ensure backup.

1.7 Of-course the feature in Excel which auto-completes a started entry would save typing Elizabeth, in full, so many times. ‘Elizabeth’ occurs in 25% of my entries. By my estimation I have typed ‘Elizabeth’ close to 4,000 times!

1.8 Allow a keystroke, like Alt-A, to Add rather than tabbing to the Add or Clicking on the Add.

1.9 Build-in the Error-Checking routine that is currently only available when uploading to the FreeREG site.

2. Baptism Entry

2.1 Get rid of the M/F pull-down – it is faster to type the letters than use a pull-down.

2.2 Allow for a dash – in the M/F entry box.

3. Marriage Entry

3.1 Get rid of “Spinster” & ‘Widow” from the Groom’s Condition pull-down, and get rid of “Bachelor” & “Widower” from the Bride’s condition pull-down.

4. Burial Entry

4.1 Create a field for Female Relative’s Surname because sometimes one has an entry like”… son of John SMITH and Mary JONES”.

4.2 Make the Relationship pull-down active.

Dave
17-12-2006, 8:39 PM
1.9 Error checking routine will only ever be on FreeREG site ,....sorry

4.1 we can't add any more fields now, would need a re program, additional info can go in notes

Dave

Project Manager

Peter Hyde
17-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks Dave:

If I only missed out on 2 of the items on the wish-list I would be a very happy camper! That's why it was a Wish-List not a You-Gotta-Gimme -list!

Cheers
Peter Hyde
Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada

Peter Hyde
15-01-2007, 11:15 PM
On 17 December it was stated: "We are awaiting some final components in order to finalise the official release which will then be tested, and will obviously be available on the internet soon."

Do we know when 'soon' will be?

Thanks

Peter Hyde

MaryB
12-02-2008, 6:28 PM
|help|I can't seem to input anymore, as I don't have a cursor (the wee line in the program that allows you to type next) I have uninstalled Freereg and downloaded it again, and still the problem persists.:confused: |banghead|

can anyone give me any help on how to get this sorted

thanks

Sorry, I mean I having problems with Speedreg and not freeReg

Kirk Dawson
08-03-2008, 2:43 AM
Mary
Did you get your problem solved?
Kirk

MaryB
11-03-2008, 9:36 PM
Hi Kirk

sorry for taking so long to get back to you, problems getting into the site.

Still have the problem, and have also lost excel, unsure if they are connected.|banghead| What I did was save what I have already input into a folder. and downloaded the program again and that seems to be working fine:) for the moment

Kirk Dawson
21-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Place holder