PDA

View Full Version : Knowles in Plymouth

Karyn Ogden
14-03-2006, 11:30 AM
I don't have access to 1841 Census - could someone please look up my gggg grandfather John Knowles b. c. 1793 in Plymouth. Have him in most of the Census until he died always in Kent. If I can find his parents maybe I can trace him a bit better??? He married Harriet Berry of Woolwich, Kent.

Thanks in advance
Karyn (nee Knowles)

WaltonAus
26-06-2006, 9:02 AM
Hello Karyn, Looking on LDS I found this record of marriage.

JOHN KNOWLES
Spouse: HARRIET BERRY
Marriage: 15 NOV 1826 Saint Luke, Old Charlton, Kent,

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
M015511 1815 - 1837 0254596 Film 6906400 Film

there were several John Knowles born in Devon abouy that time but I could not find one in Plymouth.

Kind regards
Peter Euston

jeeb
26-06-2006, 9:54 AM
Hi Karyn,
HO107/492/1 Folio 39 Page 20
Charlton next Woolwich
Bellwatergate
Thomas Berry 71 Waterman
Ann Berry 69
William Berry 33 Waterman
Jane Berry 33
John Knowles 41 Lab.
Harriet Knowles 36
Thomas Knowles 14
John Knowles 11
William Knowles 6
Samuel Knowles 2
Lucy Berry 10
Mary Berry 7
William Berry 2
Birth place all given 'yes' Kent.

This does not give you John Knowles parents but it gives Harriets (I guess) and many family members.
Cheers Jeremy

Karyn Ogden
26-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Dear Peter & Jeremy

Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I'm still wading through this family - it's confusing when one record says one thing and the next says another.

Regards Karyn |cheers|

jeeb
27-06-2006, 9:41 AM
Hi Karyn,
I would not be overly concerned about the fact that John Knowles states he was born in Kent in 1841 census, there are so many people in that household it was probably simpler to just say yes to them all. It is not uncommon for an individual to give a different birthplace on every census and in some instances these places can be miles apart. Families often moved around and some people didn't really know exactly where they were born nor their exact age, especially if they were orphans or stepchildren etc. Also remember it was unlikely to have been John giving the enumerator the information.
Jeremy

Karyn Ogden
08-07-2006, 3:31 PM
Thank you Jeeb

Seems the more info. I obtain the more confusing it becomes!? I found a John Knowles of St. Olave, in the Devon:Exeter Rolls, recorded on 14th June, 1817 (which makes him about 19 or 20), as a stonemason apprenticed to a William Gattey, miller. I also found him in an early census recorded as such; then a labourer and then, a waterman. Would there be any way I can confirm his birth in that area or is it a bit 'hit and miss' for those records?

Thanks Karyn
- in Australia :)

ChristineR
02-09-2008, 4:57 AM
Karyn, hope you do not mind, but I closed your other thread, and have directed people to here, saves you having to explain all over again what information you already have - and saves people looking up things again.

Is it only the 1851 census that says he was born in Plymouth?

edit later - ignore that, I see that he has died by 1861 as his wife Harriet is a widow, at the home of her brother William.

ChristineR
02-09-2008, 5:13 AM
b. c. 1793 in Plymouth.

His age on both the 1841 and 1851 census are consistent with a birth year of around 1800. In 1841 the enumerator chose not to round down ages as instructed in the schedule. These earlier ages are most likely more accurate than his age on death.

Without any idea of parentage, it will be very hard to establish if and when you find a baptism for him.

GENUKI pages give lots of information about Plymouth records, and there is a link to the Plymouth City Council, which lists all the different churches and record time spans that are held. That will give you an idea of how hard it might be to pin him down.

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Plymouth/

Karyn Ogden
02-09-2008, 1:37 PM
Dear Christine

Thank you once again - have had some time off due to grandchildren care and I'd forgotten about the Plymouth listing. Will take better records this time - age is setting in???
Thank you for the re-direct and info. Will let you know if I find anything.

Karyn |wave|