PDA

View Full Version : Lost in 1871...Jones family

Sheleen
11-03-2006, 11:32 PM
I can find my family quite easily in census reports - 1881, Charles (known as Chas) W Jones, and wife Mary J are living at number 4, Sheepy Lane in Brixham (Both born and raised in Brixham). Son Frederick was born c1867, and Rosa born c1869... other children are Blanche (c1872), Charles (1877), and Henry (1878).
In 1891 they are at number 9 St Peters Hill also in Brixham. By 1901, Charles and Mary are living with their daughter Blanche, in London.
But they are nowhere to be found in 1871.
Could there be, or is there, a reason for this - destroyed census perhaps?

I'm almost sure I have found Mary in 1861 and 1851 census reports under her maiden name of Hoare.... but as well as missing in 1871 census, I can also find no record of marriage between these two.

As you can imagine, looking for Charles pre-1881 may be quite a feat - but have located him in 1861 (unmarried) thanks to his fathers' more unusual name of 'Giles'.

So.... did anything happen in 1871 (or to 1871 documentation) that would mean me being unable to find the family around this time?

Sheleen

Trish
12-03-2006, 12:38 AM
Sheleen,

Well, maybe you couldn't find them because they've been grossly mistranscribed!

I think this is your JONES family...

Census: 1871: RG10/2092 Folio 9 Page 11
Address: Middle St, Ship Inn, Brixham, Devon
-- Charles William JONES Head Mar 30 Shipwright / Inn Keeper [born] Devon Brixham
-- Mary Jane Do Wife Mar 31 [born] Do Do
-- Frederick Giles Do Son 4 [born] Do Do
-- Rosa Do Daur 2 [born] Do Do

They are mistakenly indexed on Ancestry under the surname HAWKINS, probably because the family immediately above them on the census image is named HAWKINS.

Worth noting: at the same address is a ship owner, ?Elizer? JOHNSON and his wife, Ann.

HTH,
Trish

Sheleen
12-03-2006, 1:20 AM
Tish...
You are AMAZING!!! Thank you so much!
I'm a-jiggling in my chair, this is great!
Yes, I do get over-excited when something is found.... but when someone else takes the time to find something for me, then I am very much overwhelmed... because I know many people have so much to do on their own family trees without taking time to look for other peoples relatives.
It is VERY much appreciated - thank you again.

Sheleen.

P.S My late nans cousin will also be 'tickled pink' over this.... and she'll want me to thank you too.