PDA

View Full Version : Crofby?

IreneH
08-03-2006, 6:59 PM
Found in 1841 census a 5 x greatgrand father b. in a place called Crofby Lincolnshire. Is this a miss-spelling and is in fact Crosby? Or is there a place called Crofby?? Anyone know?
Irene

Geoff Everitt
08-03-2006, 8:45 PM
There's CROXBY and CROSBY ... if you mean the chap in Broughton in 1851, that's only 3-4 miles from Crosby.

Remember that "s" was often written as "f" in the 1800s.

IreneH
09-03-2006, 6:18 PM
Thanks Geoff. I didn't know that "s" was written as "f". Learn something new everyday :D. No the name I'm chasing is Walsham. I'm following a lead a 2nd cousin (I think) has given me. I think she has got my 4xg grandfather mixed up with my 5xg grandfather unfortunately I don't have 1841 census so I can't check it myself. :(

Irene

Geoff Everitt
09-03-2006, 6:42 PM
I could look for you ... but I'll need a name. :)

IreneH
13-03-2006, 6:59 PM
Hi Geoff, Sorry for the delay - haven't been near the computer for several days. Yes please, would love to know what the 1841 census has to say.
This is what I have-
James Walsham b. ? m Anne Watson 1758 Crosby re m Ann Altoft (I think) after 1772.

Offspring of James and Ann W.
Mary b. 1763. Christened Frodingham
James b. 1766 Christened Frodingham d. 1860 Winterton
Thomas b. 1769. Christened Frodingham d. 1790 Winterton
William b. 1772. Christened Frodingham. d. 1772 Frodingham

Now the question is was James b. 1766 born in Crosby?? or was it his father James? Or his mother Ann? I have now - since I last spoke to you - got one person telling me that it was father James and the the other saying it was son James and a third telling me that father James married in Crosby :o

There were/are probably other kids but I haven't been able to find them. Don't know who Mary married or if infact she did married.

How far is Frodingham from Crosby/Crofby? If they were born in Crosby why were they christened in Frodingham - was this the nearest church do you think?:confused:

Irene

Geoff Everitt
13-03-2006, 11:20 PM
From Genuki ...

"Frodingham was both an ancient village and parish in the north of Lincolnshire. Both are now part of the modern city of Scunthorpe. The parish lies across the north of Scunthorpe. The parish of Flixborough lies to the north, Gunness to the west and Appleby to the east. The parish contained the ancient villages of Bromby (Brumby), Crosby, Frodingham and Scunthorpe and covered about 5,770 acres.

Crosby is a township situated in Frodingham parish and spilling over into nearby Flixborough parish."

649-19/10
Town St, Winterton
James WALSHAM 75 Farmer
Ellenor PHILIPSON 45 Fem Serv
George BLACKBURN 15 AgLab
Mary LEINOR? 15 FemServ
George HARRISON 13 Male Serv
All born Lincs

I suppose you know he was living with HALLs in 1851 ...

2117/35
Winterton
James W HALL 31 Grocer, Winterton
Jane 33 Norf Alburgh
James WALSHAM (g-father) 86 Retired farmer, Crosby

Now the question is was James b. 1766 born in Crosby??

The answer appears to be yes.

Geoff Everitt
13-03-2006, 11:23 PM
What on earth is wrong with this board!!!!!!!!! I didn't delete anything but it turns out like THAT. I know if I try and edit it, things will only get worse so you'll have to sort it out I'm afraid.

IreneH
14-03-2006, 6:42 PM
So..... I was right , she was right and he was right. Nice to know we were all right in a round about sort of way! :D

Many thanks Geoff you're a gem!

Irene