PDA

View Full Version : Marine officer

NIGEL WELSH
05-03-2006, 2:44 PM
Trying to unravel the mystery of my grandmother HILDA GRESTY ATKINSON, when she was born in 1908 there was no father named on the birth cert, when she married for the first time in 1929 to my mother's father FRED WILD BOOTH, another mystery, there appeared the name of a father on the marriage cert. This was a FRED GRESTY ATKINSON, MARINE OFFICER, my grandmother is from the Altrincham area. Can't seem to find any record for a FRED GRESTY ATKINSON, would he be in the forces or merchant navy?

Dennis Harker
05-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Difficult to say. Normally, if in the Armed Forces, the rank would be given and both the RN and the RM had their own individual rank structure until recently. My first thought is that he was probably Merchant Navy where individuals tend not to advertise their rank when not on board ship. However, it could be that he was a Marine and the registrar simply didn't put rank details - just the general description.

You could try the National Archives website but the MN records are mainly in Newfoundland now and you have to pay for researchers to look things up for you. The NA website will give you better details of which records are held where.