PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself & request re Jack White kidder, photographer

u751904
04-03-2006, 8:41 PM
Hi,

New to this forum. In fact very new to genealogy. Got the bug about three days ago and haven't stopped researching! I am somewhat new to this : basically my family tree : Sheldon, white and goldsmith. THe Sheldon and white's are my main point of interest. I am having some success got to about 1840s and it is getting a bit harder now.

THe one person I am concentrating on at the moment is:
Jack White. born circa 1870 think in Kidderminster / woverley. Got most of the whites in sion hill on the 1901 census but he wasn't at that address at the time. He was a photographer (quite well known I believe) took a lot of pictures round kiddy / whitely court / astley cross etc. Had a shop bottom of leswell street in Kiddy? I have heard that Brian Standish wrote a book about him but still searching for that.

Any info / connection with whites much appreciated. thank you Zoe Humble

Ron Leech
05-03-2006, 8:06 AM
Was he born Jack White? Jack is often a nickname for John. Do you know when he died and do you have a copy of the death certificate which dependant upon when it was issued may provide the year or date of birth.

u751904
05-03-2006, 5:42 PM
I think you are correct in that he may have been born John. He was known as Jack white in the family. I think therefore I have found him in the 1891 and 1901 census. born in 1873. Listed as a carpet designer asst in 1891 so that is more on the creative side! My mom has said that there are a number of his photographs in kiddy library so next time I am there I am going to take a look. thank you Zoe

Yegvard
08-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi Zoe,

Although there isn't a Worcestershire live link yet try http://www.thornburypump.myby.co.uk/PI/index.html for a lot of useful information on Victorian & Edwdardian photographs and photography. Check the local library and Worcester Family History Centre for commercial directories of the time.

Good luck
Regards

Mike Yegwart

Wirral
08-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Do you already have the WHITE family in the 1881 & 1871 censuses? Jack/John's father appears to be William in 1881, but George in 1871. All the other details match so he was probably William George or George William.

u751904
08-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks very much to everyone for the suggestions. I wish (almost) I lived back in kiddy to sift through the records office. Almost worth moving back. I think I will have to camp in my folks house for a week or so whilst researching our past. Zoe