PDA

View Full Version : Information please

LynV
28-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Hi, I've been concentrating on other more local family backgrounds but now think its time to begin looking into my grandmother's family, who were scottish. Not entirely sure where to be looking but perhaps someone could give me some deeper information from what I can give without too much tracing.

My grandmother was one of several children;

She was called Janet Edie and was born in 1927.
She had siblings called George Midmore Edie, Ina Edie, Isa Edie, Primrose Edie, among others.
Her parents were called George Edie and Primrose Gillespie Edie. I have very little information about them, and cannot even be sure what part of Scotland they are from.

Perhaps someone can trace the birth of Janet and use that to give more info on this family?

Any help that I can get would be much appreciated at the moment.

Lesley Robertson
28-03-2006, 4:13 PM
My grandmother was one of several children;

She was called Janet Edie and was born in 1927.
She had siblings called George Midmore Edie, Ina Edie, Isa Edie, Primrose Edie, among others.
Her parents were called George Edie and Primrose Gillespie Edie. I have very little information about them, and cannot even be sure what part of Scotland they are from.

Her birth is too recent to be on line at Scotlands People. However, they do have marriages up to 1930. Since the parents have reasonably unusual names, and you have a rough idea of when they should have married, you should be able to find their marriage certificate. I would look for George Edie marrying Primrose (unless you are sure that Gillespie is her maiden name, in which case you can be even more precise). The marriage certificate will give you their parents, the area they were living in, their ages and occupations. That will then allow you to turn to the census for more information.
If you want her birth cert as well, you can write to GROS and buy a hard copy, but it's much more expensive than using Scotlands People

ChristineR
22-08-2008, 5:15 AM
I have lots more information going back to c.1640 too much to list here. Is there any way I can contact you directly.

Margaret,
Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums. It appears that LynV, the original poster of this thread (2006), is no longer a registered member, at least not with that user name. But someone may pick up your posting using their search engine and get in contact with you.

In the meantime, have a look around the forum and post any research queries in the relevant board.

Good luck with your research.
:)