PDA

View Full Version : Cooper/Friday

jtdl
27-02-2006, 5:03 PM
Just starting with no info. My grandfather was John Samuel Cooper (b:1885), married Maude Victoria Friday (b:1886). I think they were born in England, but have no idea where in England. Are these names included in your family history?

Davran
27-02-2006, 5:53 PM
Hi jtdl

Yes, your family originated in England, or at least Maude did.

1891 census
Northfleet, Kent Ref RG12/649 FOLIO 139 P2
John FRIDAY head 43 butcher Northfleet
Charlotte wife 43 Northfleet
Ada 20 Gravesend
Tom 18 "
Joseph 16 Northfleet
Beatrice 15 "
Charlotte 13 "
Horace 11 "
Ruth 9 ) twins
Amelia 9 )
George 7
Maud 5
Gertrude 3
Florence 10m

Birth ref for Maud
Dec quarter 1885 Strood Kent vol2a p520

This info was all gleaned from ancestry. It would be worth your while looking on there as there are some references to your family on One World Tree - John Samuel Cooper b Battersea d 1965 Ontario and Dorothea Maud Victoria Friday died 1970 Ontario. I don't have full access to those entries and you would have to pay to view them.

Hope that helps.

Geoffers
27-02-2006, 5:56 PM
When does this family first appear in Canada and what documentation do you have relating to them? Would they have been in the UK in 1901?

The freebmd web-site has entries for:
Dec 1885 - FRIDAY Maud Victoria - Strood, v2a, p520
Dec 1885 - COOPER John Samuel - Ellemsere, v6a, p683
(There may be others of the same name)
Do you know the system of civil registration and the certificates which can be obtained? Ask if you don't

Geoffers

jtdl
28-02-2006, 1:54 PM
Thanks Davran and Geoffers - these are definitely my grandparents because the dates of death are correct.

I was just browsing sites yesterday looking at info on how to get started. I was actually just curious, didn't plan on getting into anything serious. But now seeing you found that info so quick and easily, I am now intrigued and curious. I know absolutely nothing regarding my dad's family other than his parents and siblings names (who are either deceased or also know no family history).

Any info you can give me on how to get started, what are good sites for learning, etc. would be very much appreciated.

Again, thanks so much!

Geoffers
28-02-2006, 2:16 PM
For British family history, have a look at
http://www.british-genealogy.com/
and click on 'resources'

The National Archives (TNA) web-site http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm
has links on getting started. (Click on 'I'm interested in family history').

Buy a book on tracing family history.

Be organised - start with an excercise book/notebook and write down in that what you know, including where the information came from and when.

Use certificates of birth, marriage and death to construct a basic lineage.
Add to that with census records, wills, and anything else which may be relevant. With the information available it is usually not too difficult to get back to the mid-19th century.

If you get stuck - ask here - but it is better to ask more specific questions on what you don't understand or where to look for particular information. There are very large books written about general questions such as 'How do I research a family history'.

Geoffers

jtdl
02-03-2006, 3:15 AM
Sounds like I've got my work cut out for me :). Thanks so much for the info to get me started. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions once I get going on it!

dcochrane
02-05-2007, 7:36 PM
Sounds like I've got my work cut out for me :). Thanks so much for the info to get me started. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions once I get going on it!
Hi JTDL

I am related to you. You must be one of Walter Cooper's kids. I am related to John Hendon Samuel Cooper of Sarnia who was his brother, and my grandfather. Please send me an e-mail at dcochren@ns.sympatico.ca. I have a fairly extensive Coopr/Friday tree and lots of photos and vital stats to share. Yes Samuel John and Maude were from England. I look forward to hearing from you.