PDA

View Full Version : I am new here

delena
25-02-2006, 8:49 PM
Hi my name is Delena and I am new here. I have hit a brick wall on my genealogy research. I talked to a great cousin of mine who said our family came from England,she did not know which part. My surname is Rigger.

kazrbutler
25-02-2006, 9:08 PM
Hi Delena,

it would be helpful for anyone trying to help you to have some idea of when your family left England, and Christian names. Occupations can also be a help. Without a little more detail than just a surname, it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack, even with a fairly rare surname. Doing a search at:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp

will also give you an idea of where the family name is spread in England. The IGI doesn't cover all parishes, but it may help you determine potential areas of England, and if you are lucky there may be some details of your family members on there. It also includes information from the 1881 census, which may help if your family left England after then.

Hope you find what you are looking for,
Karen

Geoffers
25-02-2006, 9:32 PM
The 1881 census transcript records just three Riggers.

Abraham Rigger, aged 36, a glazier, born Poland (BRitish Subject)
Rachel A Rigger, aged 18, married, born Liverpool, living Everton with her parents (possibly she was married to a sailor whow as at sea)

One other was born Suffolk and a patient in Hertfordshire.

As has been mentioned, a lot depends on roughly when your family may have left Britain.

Geoffers