PDA

View Full Version : Frank Spence

Barbara Ward
23-02-2006, 3:53 PM
Hi,
Can anyone help please?
Frank Spence was my Gt. Uncle.He was born in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne,Northumberland in 1861.
He married Anne Arthur Fearns [born Dundee,Forfar in 1865/6.]
He died in May,1929 at 25,Craiglen Drive,Edinburgh.
He was then a retired Science lecturer in Moray House.
I believe they had two daughters.I have heard that one married ? Turnbull & went to live in Buenos Aires where he worked.Their daughter Dorothy Turnbull was a diver in the 1936 Olympics.
Is there anyone who can help me find out when Frank married & if the other daughter stayed in Edinburgh as I don`t even know her name.
My Dad used to say that his Grandpa,Thomas Spence came from Scotland,but this has to be proved too!
Thank-you,
Barbara [nee Spence]

Trish
24-02-2006, 5:50 AM
Barbara,

I can't help with Frank's marriage or daughter but have you located your SPENCEs in the 1881 census?

I believe they are in the household which shows Frank as a 20-year-old "Science Teacher". He's living at 34 Copland Terrace in Newcastle with his parents, James F. and Emma and siblings Henry and Emma. Father James is listed as "Bacon Factor (W. Local Methodist Preacher)" -- Reference: RG11/5063 Folio 146 Page 3. The same family is in the 1871 census -- Reference: RG10/5098 Folio 35 Page 13. And in 1861 at RG9/3822 Folio 22 Page 2.

There's also a marriage record for a James Francis SPENCE in the June quarter of 1860 in York. One of the 2 potential brides listed is an Emma OGRAM. Reference: Volume 9D Page 81.

However you refer to your father's grandfather Thomas SPENCE... Was Thomas -- not James -- the father of Frank?

Trish