PDA

View Full Version : reading service records

andallen
21-02-2006, 1:39 PM
I have some service records of my great uncle's and I am after some cleaver person to help me with decoding them.
1. Under "other action" there is is what looks like "chfnpa" hand written?

2.Under "disabilities" there is "V.D.H" would that be vascular disease of the heart? or possibly "VPH".

3.There is a "Chelsea No" . Is that a hospital reference? Can I trace any further using this reference.

4. There is a Register No. can this be of any use in getting further information.

Andrew

Terry Reeves
21-02-2006, 5:37 PM
It appears he was entitled to a pension due to his disabilty and was probably recorded as an "out-pensioner" for pension purposes. If you havn't already done so, you should check the following records at the National Archive: WO 364 and PIN 26. The former comprises of the "unburnt" series of soldiers service papers, principally, although not exclusively, dealing with soldiers who were discharged through wounds and ill-health. The latter are files that were held by the Ministry of Pensions dealing with servicemen who were entitled to pensions, again through sickness or wounds. Only a representative selection of these, some 22,000, were kept. The information in WO364 is often replicated in PIN 26 but both are worth checking.

Terry Reeves

pwenlock
21-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Also check the NA site for the Chelsea Pensioner records. I cant remember the Index nuber but searching "Chelsea Pensioners" should work

Yours aye
Paul

Alex Ewen-French
22-02-2006, 8:22 AM
VDH stands for 'valvular disease of the heart' and normally means that they thought he had some mechanical problem with the working of his heart which could have been due to things like rheumatic fever in childhood. The other oft quoted abbreviation is 'DAH' which stands for 'Disorderred action of the heart' and is more likely to mean irregularities of heart beat ect., maybe due to things like stress.

Alex