PDA

View Full Version : Help please. Sailor R.A. Boat.

awgen
20-02-2006, 6:49 PM
Hi first question from a newbie, so here goes.

Have obtained my Great Grandfathers marraige cert from 1908, which states under rank or profession "Sailor" and underneath that "R.A. Boat". Would anybody be able to shed some light on this for me.

For background he lived in Blue Town Sheerness and his stated age at the time was 38, although have found his Death cert when he was apprently 74 and the dates don't match exactly.

Have had a quick look on the 1901 census but can't find anything that mathces to well so just looking for some help to find out if the above means anything such as Merchant or Royal navy etc.

Thanks for looking.

busyglen
20-02-2006, 6:58 PM
Hello,

I live fairly close to this area and if you can let me know his name, and can bear with me, I will check out what records I have to see if I can find anything for you.

I wouldn't take as `gospel' the date he gave on the marriage certificate, as quite often they don't match up with other events such as death etc. I have a similar occurence which made it very difficult to trace a birth, when the date on the naval records recorded a birth two years later. People often changed their ages for a variety of reasons.

Glenys

awgen
20-02-2006, 8:01 PM
Hi Glenys

Thanks for the quick reply and offer.

His name was Harry (I think) Arnold. I think becuase I have him on my Grandmothers Marriage cert and it looks more like Henry, also the DMB record for his death also has Henry but when I actually received the cert it looks more like Harry.

Age 74 at death on 24 Feb 1942
Age 38 at Marraige on 27 Jan 1908
One must be incorrect........

Geoffers
20-02-2006, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't worry about the slight difference in ages recorded, or the change from Henry to Harry.

If your chap was in the RN, you should find his service record on documentsonline http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/
but identifying which is the correct Harry/Henry may be tricky.

Does the marriage certificate you have give a father's name and occupation? With that, and knowing your chap was alive in 1881 means that the two of them may show up together in that census. With a birthplace, you may then be able to identify him in the 1901 census. Did any of the witnesses to the marriage have the same surname? Can they be traced in a census?

Does the certificate definitely read 'R.A.Boat'? Could it be anything else?

Geoffers

awgen
20-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi Geoffers

Thanks for your reply.

I wouldn't worry about the slight difference in ages recorded, or the change from Henry to Harry.
Funny you should say that been going through the 1901 census and found a Henry who is a soldier, funnily enough living in the same street (although a different number) as when he got married. Also with a different wife, this would match because on my Marriage Cert he is a widower, also thanks to FreeBMD have found a death with the original wifes name two years before my marraige. Have traced him back to 1871 when he was four and found this chaps Mum but no father recorded, gone back another decade and found the mother with the head of the household as Samuel. My Great Grandfathers fathers name from the marraige cert. Did that all make sense ????

Does the certificate definitely read 'R.A.Boat'? Could it be anything else?

Since finding the above have been staring at the cert but can't get it to say anything else than Sailor R.A Boat. The only possible thing that could be wrong using my eyes is the t on boat could be a b, but does Boab mean anything ? The other point is the Soldier from above was in the Royal Artillery, which I thought could account for the R.A. But try as I might I cannot get it to say Soldier still looks like Sailor to me.

Geoffers
20-02-2006, 11:16 PM
My Great Grandfathers fathers name from the marriage cert. Did that all make sense ????
Sort of.....So, you may have your chap in the 1901 census with what looks like a first wife. Were they kind enough to have any children in this census?

If so, when Harry/Henry Arnold died - did he leave a will? If he did, does the will by any chance of a miracle mention his children, from both a first and second marriage?

Geoffers

awgen
20-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Sort of.....So, you may have your chap in the 1901 census with what looks like a first wife. Were they kind enough to have any children in this census?

If so, when Harry/Henry Arnold died - did he leave a will? If he did, does the will by any chance of a miracle mention his children, from both a first and second marriage?

Geoffers

A boy of two is shown, but as adopted. I suppose this would make no difference. With regards to a will, the marriage cert seems to be the only thing I can get from the family records (My mum and Aunt can't remeber his name either as he died before they where born). Would details of wills archived anywhere ?

Geoffers
21-02-2006, 8:16 AM
Would details of wills archived anywhere ?
The index to wills can be viewed on film at many County Record Offices/Local Studies' Centres. The index is easily searched and on its provides quite a lot of detail from which individuals can be indentified.

Geoffers

Stuman
21-02-2006, 8:43 AM
Just a thought that it might not be quite as unlikely as it looks. There has been a gunnery range at nearby Foulness for many years and the firing is carried out over the sea. There is therefore a Range boat that patrols the area to keep people from straying into the danger area. That boat would certainly be manned by army personel not Navy. Your man could therefore have been a sailor on a Royal Artillery Boat.

Stuart

awgen
21-02-2006, 8:53 PM
Hi Geoffers

Thanks for the info on wills, definatly an avenue to pursue.

Hi Stuart

Sounds like a very good theory, which is again worth looking into. Thanks for your input and info.

busyglen
22-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Sorry, I couldn't come up with anything. Unfortunately, the records I have don't include this area, or part of the Census. Will keep a look out though.

Glenys

awgen
23-02-2006, 4:18 PM
Sorry, I couldn't come up with anything. Unfortunately, the records I have don't include this area, or part of the Census. Will keep a look out though.

Glenys

Hi Glenys

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.