PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Pugsley, Taunton 1851 - 1861, Innkeeper

gpc19
19-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Hello

I am trying to find details of my grt-grt-grt-grandfather who was born about 1812 in Luccombe in Somerset. I have found his details in the 1851 census when he is living at 52 North Street in Taunton. The census details are: -

Thomas Pugsley, Head, age 39, Innkeeper, born Luccombe or Lulcombe, Somerset

Jane Pugsley, Wife, age 32, born Bicknoller
Harriet Pugsley, daughter age 12, born Taunton
Frances Pugsley, daughter age 10, born Taunton
Emily Pugsley, daughter age 8, born Taunton
Anna Pugsley, daughter age 6, born Taunton
Walter Pugsley, son age 4, born Taunton
Edward Pugsley, son age 2, born Taunton.

By 1861 the family that remained were Walter and Edward and they are the stepsons of Henry and Jane Matilda Maynard who have three of their own children and are living in South Street, Taunton with another step-daughter
Ellen Pugsley. Walter Pugsley then appears in Portsmouth in 1871.

Does anyone know what happened to the family between 1851 and 1861 in Taunton? Was there a family tradegy such as a fire at the Inn in Taunton?

Many thanks if you can help

Graham P. Cooper
Norwich

Fulhamster
19-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Hiya Graham!
I cannot help you directly but would hope that this web site address may be of some assistance with your enquiry:

http://www.somerset.gov.uk/somerset/culturecommunity/museums/

I hope that you find what you are looking for!

Wirral
19-02-2006, 1:21 PM
By 1861, all the girls would have been old enough to leave home, either married or gone into service. Fanny & Anna are both listed in the 1861 as servants, one in Cornwall, the other in Gloucestershire.
Emily was living with her aunt in Wiltshire.

Dennis Harker
19-02-2006, 4:47 PM
Interestingly 52 North Street is now the site of the County Stores. This is a grocers and wine merchants of the old-fashioned type which is very popular. The interior appears to be quite old but I do not know the history of the building.

This is their website http://www.thecountystores.com (http://www.thecountystores.com/) Whether or not they would know any of the building's history I cannot say but it might be worth a try.

Couldn't find a Lulcombe in Somerset but there is a Luccombe near the north coast just southeast of Porlock - quite a pretty area these days.

Best of luck

Dennis Harker
19-02-2006, 4:50 PM
Just noticed that the County Store's website says 'trading in Taunton since 1836' but it doesn't say if it was at the same address all of that time.

gpc19
19-03-2006, 3:34 PM
Thomas Pugsley, Head, age 39, Innkeeper, born Cutcombe, Somerset about 1811.

In the 1851 Census

Jane Pugsley, (nee Jane Selina Criddle), Wife, age 32, born Bicknoller
Harriet Pugsley, daughter age 12, born Taunton
Frances Pugsley, daughter age 10, born Taunton
Emily Pugsley, daughter age 8, born Taunton
Anna Pugsley, daughter age 6, born Taunton
Walter Pugsley, son age 4, born Taunton
Edward Pugsley, son age 2, born Taunton.

In 1852 Ellen Pugsley was born.

In 1852 Thomas Pugsley died of pneumonia on the 8th August.

In 1856 a Jane Pugsley died in Williton in Somerset.

By the census of 1861: -

Harriet Pugsley can not be found in the census, probably was married.

Frances (Fanny) Pugsley was a servant, barmaid at Western Hotel in Penzance, Cornwall.

Emily Pugsley was living with her aunt in Westbury. Her aunt was Hannah Thomas (married) who was born in Bicknoller the same place as Jane Pugsley.

Anna Pugsley was a linnen draper's assistant, servant, in Bristol.

Walter, Edward and Ellen were living with Henry and Jane Matilda Maynard in South Street in Taunton.

By the census of 1871 Walter Pugsley was living in Portsea, Portsmouth, Hampshire and he is my Grt-Grt-Grandfather.

So thank you all who gave me a lead and hopefully sometime in the future I can return the help.

Many thanks

Graham P. Cooper

kmdward
20-03-2006, 3:11 AM
Pigot & Co 1842 Directory shows a Edward Pugsley as the innkeeper for the George in North Town Taunton.
a relative who passes the inn onto Thomas Perhaps????

gpc19
24-03-2006, 9:29 PM
As far as I can tell at the moment the father of Thomas Pugsley is Thomas Pugsley married to Betty (???).

So perhaps Edward is a brother of Thomas senior. (????) And as you say perhaps he passed the Inn, 'The George' North Street, on to Thomas junior.