PDA

View Full Version : Lost Cousins

BeeE586
15-02-2006, 1:51 AM
This is a site for entering family found on the 1881 census. However, the term 'cousin' can be widely interpreted - just what degree of cousinship do other posters enter if they use this site. I have got children and grandchildren of MY great grandparents brothers and sisters and no doubt could find others - do they all go on ? May I have your opinion please ?

Eileen -- |wave|

Burrow Digger
15-02-2006, 5:13 AM
bearing in mind that anyone being posted to Lost cousins must be on the 1881 census, as long as both them and you have a KNOWN common ancestor somewhere, they can be posted.

My gt grandfather Isaac is on the 1881 census, his parents (John & Emma) are not. But I have posted all the nieces, nephews and siblings of Isaac because they all descend from the common ancestor - John & Emma.

Hope this helps.

Burrow Digger

Ed McKie
15-02-2006, 6:50 AM
I have no knowledge of this site except what I have seen there. Whilst the concept appears fine, I still have uneasy feelings about a site operating in this way. First they claim free registration, which is true, but then in the fine print refer to a subscription in order to fully use the site. I could not find the amount of the subscription anywhere. So it seems to be that they wish to suck you in, get you to upload your information, and then when there appears to be some benefit to you, to hit you with an unspecified sum.

Secondly in the user agreement there is the phrase "In paying the Subscription Fee you are agreeing to commence using your Subscription promptly, which means that you do not have the right to cancel your Full Membership during the cooling-off period that might otherwise apply, and which is specified in the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000."
Now why would any up front business want to use a device to circumvent consumers rights ?

Cheers..Ed

Terry
15-02-2006, 2:20 PM
I wouldn't have thought that was legal! Would be interesting to know what Trading Standards would have to say about it.

BeeE586
15-02-2006, 6:38 PM
Thank you for your input. My own feeling was that of Burrow Digger - OK if you and the other entries have a common ancestor somewhere in the past, and that is what I propose to continue doing. I have only just started entering on this site.

With regard to the Subscription issue, I'm not sure that I totally understand it and I too was a little dubious when no actual fee was mentioned nor precisely what we would get for it. Nor can I see what additional benefit will be gained from registration - is it only if and when we find a match that some fee will be called for or are there some additional features to be made available at a later date ? If so, it would be nice if we could be told.

In principle I think it a good idea as everyone has free access to the 1881 census on several sites - it remains to be seen how it works out.

Eileen

busyglen
15-02-2006, 7:03 PM
Eileen, you have jogged my memory with your post. I put a couple of families from the 1881 Census on a good while ago, and have promptly forgotten about it!

But....I guess you could wait a long time for a contact, on the other hand, someone might come along right away!

I posted a message on another forum in 2003, and today received a reply!! It was nice for someone to consider looking some details up for me, but I had assumed, that I would never hear anything after all this time. Once never knows.

I must admit, I don't remember seeing anything about membership when I posted my details, but then it was I believe when it was just getting off the ground.

Good luck anyway whatever you decide to do. :)
Glenys

BeeE586
16-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Glenys - thank you for your kind thoughts. Most of the contacts I have had have been through Genes Reunited but no harm in trying another site.

Eileen -- :)

Burrow Digger
16-02-2006, 12:28 PM
My ancestors have been up for about 1 year at Lost cousins and have had no matches at all. They say if you dont have any matches in 3 months to contact them. But I'm pretty sure that its just because I'm the only one doing my family right now. I'm not paying the subscription until I get a match.

I havent paid any subscription for genes reunited for the opposite reasons - too many matches and most of it is junk!!

I'm still debating whether or not to pay the small subscription for tribal pages.

BD

BeeE586
16-02-2006, 1:11 PM
One of the amazing things about Family History is how experience can vary from one researcher to another. Take Genes Reunited; I have contacted, and been contacted by, a good number of 3rd and 4th cousins and even though we may not have had new information to share, it is satisfying sometimes to know that another person has come to the same conclusions as you from the same data. However, the site does seem to have got a bit 'top heavy' and many of the things that are offered as Hot Matches are nothing of the sort. I am looking for a baptism of Joseph Brown in the Revesby area of Lincolnshire c1750 yet I am bombarded with every Brown under the sun throughout the 1800's. My more unusual names, Millthorpe, Brett, Barthrop, Binney, Herndale, Rencorne, Parnell, Nail, mostly early 1700's - very little. As BD so rightly says, if no-one else is researching that family at that time there will be no response but we all live in hope.

Eileen -- :)

Mary Young
17-02-2006, 10:05 AM
just what degree of cousinship do other posters enter if they use this site. Hi, Eileen
I think they hope to link you with "Lost Cousins", i.e. living descendants of the people you post.
I post anyone even remotely related, related by marriage etc. Lost Cousins also suggest posting everyone living in the household at census time, marking the relationship as Unknown if that's the case. After all, they may still be related - or one of their descendants may have knowledge of your family.