PDA

View Full Version : Hanley 1841 census records

justanne
14-02-2006, 4:29 PM
I'm doing some research for a friend & am unfamiliar with this area. I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of the 1841 census for Hanley. Is it available to search online ?

If not, I wonder if some kind person who has access to the 1841 census could do a look-up for me ?

In 1851 I have JAMES COOPER (a butcher) and his wife MARY ANN ( b abt 1811 ) at 153 Chapel St. Hanley, along with a son Joseph, who would be about 10 in 1841.

I haven't found a marriage for James & Mary Ann (as yet) and am not sure if she's his first wife, or if he's her first husband! The person I am looking for is possibly the daughter of Mary Ann - her name is ELIZABETH & she was born about 1828, although the year of birth varies vastly in later census records.

In 1851 ELIZABETH was living with her husband JOHN POOL(E) & 2 small children) next door to the Coopers, who appear to have her elder son (James Pool, grandson, age 3) in their house at the time of the census - he appears in his own home, next door, as well !! I'm pretty sure there weren't two different children of that name.

My friend has found what she thinks is the marriage of John Poole & Elizabeth, but her name was ELIZABETH SMITH & at the time of her marriage, in 1845, she was then age 16, but no father was named on the certificate. I'm trying to find out if she was the daughter of Mary Ann (wife of James Cooper) so am hoping to find her in 1841, before she was married.

I have dismissed the idea that it was Elizabeth's second marriage, as she was only 16 at the time of her marriage to John Poole - so I'm thinking she was the daughter of Mary Ann with a previous partner.

Hope this makes sense !!!

Basically I'm looking for ELIZABETH SMITH or COOPER age about 12 and/or her "parents" JOSEPH COOPER & MARY ANN.

Thanks in very grateful anticipation !!!

Anne in Lancs

janbooth
15-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Anne,

This looks as if it could be the family in the 1841 of Shelton, Staffs:

HO107/992/8, folio 38, pages 31/2
Brewery Street

James COOPER 35 Butcher Born in county yes
Mary Ann do 30 yes
Batsay do 12 yes
Joseph do 10 Butcher's boy yes
Enoch BARKER 20 Pottery Fireman yes

"Batsay" is presumably meant to be Betsey which could be short for Elizabeth and her surname is definitely COOPER.

Hope this helps.

Janet.