PDA

View Full Version : Census 1871/81 lOOKUP?

HiFly
14-02-2006, 3:07 PM
I came across an Elizabeth VALLIS on IGI, christened 02-07-1879 in Peenden, Cornwall - parents James & Elizabeth Ann.

As I have not managed to trace any other Vallis members in the cornwall area- to my knowledge...could someone lookup and see if the above are actually residing there? (or any other Vallis/Valis families please?).

TIA - HiFly

Scottie
14-02-2006, 4:26 PM
I came across an Elizabeth VALLIS on IGI, christened 02-07-1879 in Peenden, Cornwall - parents James & Elizabeth Ann.

As I have not managed to trace any other Vallis members in the cornwall area- to my knowledge...could someone lookup and see if the above are actually residing there? (or any other Vallis/Valis families please?).

TIA - HiFly
There is an Elizabeth Wallis aged 2 at Old Town, St Just in Penwith in 1881. She is with her mother Elizabeth who is a Miner's wife. She has siblings William J. aged 5 and Ellen J. aged 4 All parties are born St Just. Mother is 26. Piece 2349 Folio 59 page 7

GeoffD
17-02-2006, 1:40 PM
Just a possibility, mind you. I have VIALL from Cornwall in my tree, and I have seen census entries where it has been written VIALLS. Maybe a mis-transcription?

HiFly
19-02-2006, 4:39 PM
Thanks Scottie. (What's Cornish for Thanks? :) )

GeoffD - Hmmm - with your input that really gives me some things to think about...there I was feeling smug, when you hit me with a WHAMMY !
|computer|
I had come across various members of the VALLIS families as Valis/Vallice/Vallyce/Vallas/Vallies and so on...never considered WALLIS...so did a quick check and found a nearly definitive rellie connection with that surname...and then checking some more found there are THOUSANDS of WALLIS's ......and there I thought I was on some 'safe & easy' ground with hunting the VALLIS clan down........Ho Hum.....|banghead|

Thanks again to other BG forumites - all your kind assistance appreciated.

HiFly

MarkJ
19-02-2006, 5:40 PM
Cornish for thanks is "meur ras" ;)

GeoffD
20-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Cornish for thanks is "meur ras" ;)

Hmmm -- where can I learn Cornish in Australia?

HiFly - I'm sorry if I put the cat among the pigeons there. It was only a suggestion, you know. And I know how hard some of these census pages are to transcribe.

Vialls is also a name that pops up in London a bit, too, I noticed.

MarkJ
20-02-2006, 4:11 PM
There certainly are Cornish language classes in Oz, I know several language students from there were honoured at the last Gorsedh I went to.
Or of course, there is the well known language correspondence course (with tutors in Australia) -
KDL

Oll an gwella :)

Mark

GeoffD
21-02-2006, 11:06 AM
There certainly are Cornish language classes in Oz, I know several language students from there were honoured at the last Gorsedh I went to.

That would look good on my CV - English (mother tongue), Indonesian (fluent), Neo-Melanesian Pidgin and Bislama (working knowledge), French (part-forgotten), Tieng Viet (basic), Swahili (basic), Gilbertese (basic), Cornish (honoured at Gorsedh).
:D

(Sorry for the thread hijack, HiFly. But I might look into learning some Cornish, even if it is just for fun).

HiFly
24-02-2006, 1:54 AM
No problem GeoffD - if we can't have some fun |5cups| |cheers| whilst |banghead| then we would probably just be sad people! (Ok Ok I know I am anyway!)

HiFly

GeoffD
24-02-2006, 1:51 PM
I have my own |banghead| in Cornwall, HiFly - my near invisible ggrandfather. He's driving me to |5cups| which is unfortunate because he was a staunch Methodist.

MarkJ
24-02-2006, 3:05 PM
I think we all have at least one brick wall!
Cornwall is blessed with a number of things which make life for us genealogists a lot easier - full census availability, excellent OPC project, lots of information - all at our fingertips. Plus of course the Courtney library, FHS and lots of other places where we can access information. Dealing with my wifes family - who are from "out of county" - you soon see the difference!

My own brick wall is John Jose. Born around 1775, married 1804. I have information on the three dates the church banns were read, the marriage and lots of other information. But no birth information! Despite several years of looking on and off, he remains a mystery man. He is one of those ancestors where you have suspicions which you cannot prove. I know he lived at a place which was on the border between St Enoder and St Stephen in Brannel parish. I have tithe maps and information about the property, so I know it was literally straddling the two parishes. But no John Jose in Brannel either - at least not one I can prove as being related. I don't suppose I shall ever prove it one way or the other - but I keep revisiting him from time to time and going through the evidence I do have - trying to piece things together. Now, if I was Sherlock Holmes, I am sure it would prove "elementary" !

Ah well - one of the reasons I enjoy the family history - the mental challenge ;)

Mark