PDA

View Full Version : No records of Army Pensioners?

FredP
07-02-2006, 9:17 PM
Can anyone rell me how or where I can find out what happened to an army pensioner AFTER he left the Army?

My grandfather Sapper WILLIAM JOHN PARTRIDGE, b 9th Sept. 1844 in Lambeth, was discharged on pension after 21 years at Southampton on 5th January 1886. Despite extensive enquiries I have not been able to find any authoritative record of him after that date. My father, aged 3 at the time, told me he went to Australia; others have suggested Hong Kong or Canada! An enquiry to the Army Authorities made about 1920 is said to have elicited the fact that he was still alive and in receipt of the pension at an undisclosed address abroad.

I have his Army Book, his original Marriage Certificate, and his wife's death certificate ve record of him after that date. My father, aged 3 at the time, told me he went to Australia; others have suggested Hong Kong or Canada! An enquiry to the Army Authorities made about 1920 is said to have elicited the fact that he was still alive and in receipt of the pension at an undisclosed address abroad.

I have his Army Book, his original Marriage Certificate, and his wife's death certificate (registered in Chatham in 1892 in his absence). I have seen his entire army service records and his discharge papers at Kew, but was told there that they have no records for pensioners from that date. The Royal Engineers Museum & Archives did a search but came up with nothing. I have seen several volumes of what are termed 'Unburned Records' on micro-film but they appear to deal only with officers.

But s(registered in Chatham in 1892 in his absence). I have seen his entire army service records and his discharge papers at Kew, but was told there that they have no records for pensioners from that date. The Royal Engineers Museum & Archives did a search but came up with nothing. I have seen several volumes of what are termed 'Unburned Records' on micro-film but they appear to deal only with officers.

But surely there must be some record somewhere of when he died and/or when the pension ceased to be paid.

Any suggestions? FredP.

Geoffers
07-02-2006, 9:48 PM
TNA's research guide
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=15
mentions:
an admission book of 'native' and colonial pensioners, 1880-1903 is in WO 23/160 (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/DisplayCatDetailsGoto.asp?catref=WO+23%2F160&accessmethod=6) .

see also below that regarding mention of out-pensions in WO22

His service record should show his intended place of residence, but this will probably just show his wife's address, from where he did a flit.

If he remained a British subject and left a will, a search of the will's index may be useful

Geoffers

FredP
10-02-2006, 9:02 PM
Thanks Geoffers,

His intended place of residence was Southampton, but his eldest son joined the army in 1890 in Chatham 'having lived out of his father's house' for three years. my father was with that brother in Chatham in 1891 and their mother also in Chatham at a different address.

The middle son married in Christchurch in 1890 and the daughter died in Bristol a few years later.

I will follow up your other suggestions, FredP.