PDA

View Full Version : Fathers name on Birth Certificate?

Beebee
04-02-2006, 3:56 PM
I have recently received a copy of a birth certificate for Thomas Edward Knight but his fathers name has been crossed out. His name has been entered, then a line put through his christian name and a line put through his middlename (no surname entered) with the numbers 7 and 8 respectively alongside. I could not attatch a picture as my scanner isn't working, but here's an example. (I could not put the line through the name so just imagine it's through the name and not underneath) lol.
Albert 7
Edward 8

On the very left hand side of the certificate next to the number before the DOB, the numbers 7 and 8 have been written with the Registrars Initials alongside. I would be grateful if somebody could give me an explanation for this? I thought maybe it could be that the father had died, but his name along with his occupation (no occupation is entered on birth certificate) is on Thomas' marriage certificate. Also the mothers maiden name is not there, instead it states her occupation as 'A Book Pager' :confused: Could somebody explain what that is?
Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mythology
04-02-2006, 4:20 PM
The numbers 7 and 8 are just a reference to them being amendments numbers 7 and 8 in that register - they are not some kind of code relating to a specific reason.

With the father's name removed and no mother's maiden name shown, it looks as if he's illegitimate. Thanks to the clerk having written the father's name in before realising that the parents weren't married, and it still being legible, it's a safe bet that Albert Edward Knight was indeed his father as shown on Thomas's marriage certificate, but the parents evidently hadn't married.

Beebee
04-02-2006, 7:34 PM
Thank you for your reply Myth, that's answered my query to the number 7 and 8. I had started to wonder whether they were married as I cannot find an Index for it, it's just the mothers name on the birth certificate is Margaret Knight. I suppose it's quite possible they had the same surname. :confused:

Mythology
04-02-2006, 8:36 PM
"I suppose it's quite possible they had the same surname."

Yes, it's not an uncommon surname, so they may or may not be related.
Two things I'd look at are ....

1) Is there a marriage after the event? It's not that uncommon.
Apart from the usual couldn't care less people (they're mostly in London) I have one where it looks as though the girls father preferred having two illegitimate grandchildren to having her marry the fellow, so refused consent - she married as soon as she was twenty-one. Another one was nearly thirty, didn't need consent, but evidently didn't want to upset her disapproving father - waited and got married almost as soon as he died, nearly three years after her daughter was born. I hope she wasn't keeping dad sweet hoping for something in his will - he didn't leave one.

2) What (if any) is the relationship between Albert Edward Knight and Margaret Knight? It's just possible that they were not have been able to marry. Not all that common, but one of my lot had ten children by his niece - moved when she was pregnant and thereafter passed her off as his wife.

Beebee
05-02-2006, 10:07 AM
I thank you again Myth, you have given me much to investigate. It sounds like your having lots of fun with your family. I too have a marriage many years after the birth of all the children in one of my family trees, I think because the wife was not divorced (maybe because he wouldn't consent) from her first husband and they couldn't marry untill he had died, but I have yet to confirm this.
Once again many thanks for your help, I shall enjoy solving this mystery.

Beebee.