PDA

View Full Version : Cheery Knowles Emerg. Hosp. WW2???

Shannon
25-01-2006, 7:31 PM
Could anyone tell me if this hospital still exists please? I found a letter written by my late father. He was a Sergeant in WWII and was injured and operated here. (it says Co. Durham, Ward 12)

Thankyou for any kind help or advice.

Shannon|help|

Peter Goodey
25-01-2006, 8:05 PM
It's Cherry Knowles!

A quick Google with the correct spelling should answer your question.

Lancelot
26-01-2006, 2:46 PM
Could anyone tell me if this hospital still exists please? I found a letter written by my late father. He was a Sergeant in WWII and was injured and operated here. (it says Co. Durham, Ward 12)

Thankyou for any kind help or advice.

Shannon|help|

There is a web site which lists where the records of all hospitals are kept, whether open or closed. I can't find Cherry Knowles records listed.

Ryhope is home to the Cherry Knowles Hospital, the main mental health services complex for the Wearside area, located to the south-west of the village.

Peter Goodey
26-01-2006, 3:25 PM
"Ryhope is home to the Cherry Knowles Hospital, the main mental health services complex for the Wearside area, located to the south-west of the village."

Good old Wikipedia!

"There is a web site which lists where the records of all hospitals are kept, whether open or closed. I can't find Cherry Knowles records listed."

More focussed Googling reveals that the current official title is "Cherry Knowle Hospital" and Cherry Knowle is indeed listed on the Hospital Records Database - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/default.asp

This shows that records are held by the Tyne and Wear Archives Service. The hospital appears to still be open.

Lancelot
27-01-2006, 3:55 AM
[QUOTE=

Good old Wikipedia!

[/QUOTE]

Never heard of that one. Googled it and put it into Favourites to give it a try.

micka
27-01-2006, 10:43 PM
im pretty certain the hospital is still open but only for alcohol and drug related addiction.it stopped mental heath care a few years ago. ther was also a regular hospital in the same ground which was named ryhope general
hope this is of some use

Shannon
31-01-2006, 2:58 AM
To Peter, Lancelot and Micka: I want to thank all of you sincerely for helping me out. You all really helped me.

Sincerely,
Shannon in Canada