PDA

View Full Version : Township of Beaducle

bembridge
25-01-2006, 1:51 PM
I only started to do my family tree a couple of days ago so am very new to this game. My mother was born in Gateshead. Her maiden name was Forsyth. I always thought that there would be a Scottish connection. On checking I have been able to get back to about 1740 (with some help) First was James Forsyth, (great great great great grandfather)no other details. Then Rice Forsyth (great great great)grandfather) born abt 1777 in Ancroft. Then Rice Forsyth (great great grandfather) born abt 1815 in Kyloe. Then Rice Forsyth (Great grandfather) born 1845 in Swinhoe. Then Rice Forsyth born 1871 in Alnwick (my grandfather) then my mother born 1907 in Gateshead. I have been able to locate some of these places on the map. However on the 1861 Census They are listed as being in the "Township of Beaducle" of which I can find no trace. As they were all farm labourers this may have just been a collection of small dwellings. Would anyone have any idea where this township may have been located. Appreciate any help. As you may have guessed I don't know Northumberland all that well and did not know that there was a family connection with the county. Thank you

emjay
26-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Hi,

The name of the farm is Annstead, and the parish is Beadnell.

Regards,

Myra

bembridge
26-01-2006, 3:34 PM
Myra, Thank you very much for the information. According to the census my great Grandfather Rice Forsyth, was the farm Steward at Annstead Farm and his son, Rice Forsyth was a Ag Lab, as indeed was his daughter. My Great great grandfather and aslo my great great great grandfather (born abt 1777)were all born in Northumberlaand and all called Rice !! My g g g g grandfather was James Forsyth, so what the obscession with Rice as a christian name was for, I don't know. Thank you once again it was really kind of you.

Regards

John

emjay
26-01-2006, 8:04 PM
Hello John,

Here are two entries from the Warenford Presbyterian Baptism Register for you.

8 October 1843. Catharine 1st child & daughter of Rice Forsyth, Hind at Chathill, parish of Ellingham. but a native of Berrington Backhill, & Sarah Rutherford his wife, a native of Sharperton, was born 26 September 1843.

4 February 1845. Ryce 2nd child & 1st son of Ryce Forsyth, Hind at Swinhoe, parish of Bambro, but a native of Berrington Backhill, & Sarah Rutherford his wife, a native of Sharperton, was born 22 January 1845.

Regards,

Myra

emjay
26-01-2006, 8:11 PM
And another - from Lowick Presbyterian Baptism Register:

3 January 1815. Ryce son of Ryce and Sarah Forsyth of Kyloe Parish. Born 26 December 1814.

Regards,

Myra

bembridge
27-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Myra, Thank you so much for the information regarding Catherine Forsyth Born 26/9/1843. As you say she married John Strother In Jun 1868 in Belfont. Her brother Rice Forsyth Born 22/1/1845 married a Thomasina (wait for it) Forsyth !!! in the same quarter as his sister Catherine (joint wedding in Belfont ???) and wonder if she was a cousin ???

Regarding Rice Forsyth Born 26/12/1814. I have him as the son of Rice Forsyth Born abt 1777 in Ancroft as being married to a Catherine Wistel.
Guess I may have gone wrong somewhere down the line.

Thank you once again.