PDA

View Full Version : Holmes

Wifleen
25-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Could anyone please help.

I am researching my Family history, Holmes and I am having difficulty in finding the exact birth for my Great Grandfather, Edward George Holmes. He is believed to have been born approx 1853 in Toddington in Bedfordshire (taken from the age given in the 1901 Census). His parents were George and Susannah Holmes of Toddington. Edward George married Elizabeth Chapman Naylor on Saturday 4th March 1876 at the age of 20!(thus, date of birth 1856) at St Paul's Church in Sheffield South Yorkshire.

In 1881 Edward and Elizabeth lived in Alverthorpe in Wakefield in West Yorkshire, In 1891 they lived in Gawber in barnsley and in 1901 lived at 4 Clumbers Terrace in Monk Bretton in Barnsley. Edward died in 1936 aged 81 (thus, date of birth 1855) and was buried in St Peter's Chruch in ASkern, Doncaster, South Yorkshire.

I have sourced all the different given dates but I have not yet found the exact date of birth or his birth certificate.

Thank you

janbooth
25-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Well this looks like the family in the 1851 census of Toddington:

RG9/1004, folio 29, page 17
Schedule 79, Anton Street

George HOLMES Head Mar 30 Ag Lab Beds Toddington
Susan do Wife Mar 28 Straw Plaiter do Harlington
George do Son 5 do Toddington
John do Son 7 mo do do

Could Edward George in fact have been George Edward?? There is a birth registration on the GRO Index in the June qtr of 1855 of a George Edward HOLMES at Woburn reg district (includes Toddington) vol 3b, page 365.

Hope this helps.

Janet.