PDA

View Full Version : 1861 census lookup please? Samford district

ChristineR
23-01-2006, 3:48 AM
Can someone please look these people up for me in the Samford Reg district?
I would expect them to be at Sproughtan, the Randall may not be in the same household as the Crickmore ones, but I believe Samuel is his grandfather.

1861 (from index 1837online, thanks Linda, I didn't know it was there)
CRICKMORE, Mary 49 F
CRICKMORE, Samuel 70 M
RANDALL, Charles 18 M

Thank you
Christine

Trish
23-01-2006, 4:21 AM
Can someone please look these people up for me in the Samford Reg district?...
CRICKMORE, Mary 49 F
CRICKMORE, Samuel 70 M
RANDALL, Charles 18 M ...Hi Christine,

This is the time of day when the Aussies are well into "tomorrow" while the Brits are fast asleep in the middle of the night and the Canadians and Americans, bringing up the rear, are still working through "yesterday", winding down the evening... if you know what I mean.

There's just Samuel and Mary in the CRICKMORE household in 1861:

1861 Census: RG9/1159 Folio 47 Page 6
Address: [next to or resident in?] Parish House

Samuel CRICKMORE Head Widr 70 ag L. [presume this stands for Agricultural Labourer] [born] Norfolk Ellingham
Mary do dau un 49 [born] Suffolk Sproughton [sic]

As for Charles RANDALL, there are a couple of possibilities, both grooms, both 18: one born in Barford, Suffolk, living in Newton and the other born and living with mother Martha and siblings in East Berehold or Bergholt, Suffolk.

HTH,
Trish

Trish
23-01-2006, 4:41 AM
Christine,

Did you know that in the 1851 census, there is a Mary CRICKMORE working as a servant in the same household as a Lydia CRICKMORE, another servant?

1851 Census: HO107/1801 Folio 117 Page 1
Address: 3 Lower Street, Grundisburgh, Suffolk

James ALLEN Head U 56 Retired Major ?HEJCS? Essex Walthamstow
MAry Do Sister U 70 Middlesex London
Jane Do Sister U 57 Do Do
Harriett A Do Niece U 19 Madras E Indies
David J Do Nephew U 17 Do Do
Lydia CRICKMORE Serv U 36 General Serv Suffolk Sproughton
Mary Do Serv U 39 General Serv Do Do

In 1861, Lydia CRICKMORE is in the following household:

[b]1861 Census: RG9/1157 Folio 83 Page 12
Address: Nunton St, Bramford, Suffolk

John CRICKMORE Head Widr 59 Ag Lab [born] Suffolk Sproughton
Lydia Do Sister Un 45 Do Do
Sarah Do Sister Un 62 Do Do

HTH,
Trish

ChristineR
23-01-2006, 5:14 AM
Oh Trish, that 1861 entry gave me an awful fright - until I realised that they were too old to be my Lydia and Sarah - who both well and truly married. But one can see that they must be family names.

Yes, recently scored that entry showing Mary in the household with Lydia as servants. A few months later Lydia married Francis Wright, and the next census are both servants at Lindon House, Chiswick (1861) and 1871 Lydia is widowed and living with sister, Sarah RANDALL, in Harwich, Essex, a retired servant.

Charles was born Sproughtan, so none of those 18 year olds seem likely thanks, but I'm more than compensated with the Crickmores.

Pleased to see Samuel was born Norfolk - I had a couple of Randall nieces staying with a Crickmore in Harwich, he was born Broom, Norfolk. I think he must be Samuel's brother, being much the same age, so a great uncle to the girls. They also 'lived on their own means' and unmarried till old age, so might have done well out of the uncle!

And I was suprised to have a reply already - I just post whenever I think of it, it will lay in wait for someone to see.

many thanks
Christine :)

ChristineR
23-01-2006, 5:23 AM
But wait, that Lydia is much the same age..... there are two of them, both born Sproughtan.|banghead|

I shall just have to look at the registers one day!

Christine :)