PDA

View Full Version : George Fitton - 75th Regiment of Foot

kazrbutler
19-01-2006, 9:29 PM
Can anyone suggest some research ideas for the following? I know my George Fitton was in the 75th regiment due to references in censuses, his marriage in India 1854 to Jane Thomlinson listed in Gordon Highlanders (75th foot) Blotter Registers. Baptisms of some children in India listed under regiment too (yet to follow up as they are not in my line). His name is also on the list of a website for India Mutiny Medal. Based on birthplace of children, he was pensioned out between 1861 and 1865. As yet, I have still to follow up his military history as I cannot get down to London and his details are not yet on the website. My Mother remembers her Grandfather talking about him spending a long time in the army in India and Burma too.

My main concern however, is that the details I have confirmed in the Blotter Registers marriage information does not include details of his father. His was born about 1824 in Whiston in Lancashire. Even if I find the baptism to confirm the information I was given by a relative, I cannot guarantee that I will find George with his father in the 1841 census, and I am fairly certain he was overseas in 1851. (Awaiting 1841 census for Lancashire to check that one out). Any other ideas about how I can find information linking George to his father would be welcome. I have no idea if military records will include this information either.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Any thoughts on this appreciated,

Karen

Geoffers
19-01-2006, 9:37 PM
His service record at TNA should include next of kin. You may find that his parents are recorded prior to his marriage. At the very least they should show his date and place of birth.

Have you actually got a copy of his marriage certificate? You can search for military marriages (Army Chaplains' returns of marriages 1796-1880) in the overseas section of 1837online and on fiches at many County Record Offices/Local Studies Libraries, and at the FRC in London.

Geoffers

kazrbutler
20-01-2006, 9:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Geoffers.

The information I have on the marriage came from the Blotter Registers for the regiment, so unfortunately I did not get a copy of his marriage certificate. This was done a while ago. I was having difficulty researching this one (most of the marriages in my tree have been found in local parish registers, or in a few cases at local registrars offices). I did ask for information on another well used forum, but had no response whatsoever.

I might not be able to get down to London at the moment, but at least I have an option which may provide more information. In particular, you have let me know that the military records should contain the information I require - which means it is doubly worthwhile striving to access them.

Thanks again,
Karen

Geoffers
20-01-2006, 9:43 AM
Before you are able to get to Kew, do have a brose through TNA's resarch guides on their web-site. In particular have a look at

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=14

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=15

Also, I forgot to mention, that if you find a reference to his marriage in the Army Chaplains' returns, you can order the certificate from the GRO.

Good luck

Geoffers

kazrbutler
20-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the research guide info. I will have a good read later when there are less interruptions to my time. I will admit, that like many government organised websites, I find it a pain to negotiate - and constantly think I am heading in for one part of the site and find myself somewhere completely different - so having direct links is particularly helpful!

Thanks too for suggesting I could order the certificate from the GRO. I thought I probably could, but the confirmation is helpful.

Best wishes and thanks,
Karen

kazrbutler
20-01-2006, 9:15 PM
I've been to 1837online and (having battled with the slow speed of the site tonight) searched for John Fitton and Jane Thomlinson / Tomlinson in the Chaplins returns marriages, with no success.|banghead|
Any suggestions?
Karen

Geoffers
21-01-2006, 11:35 AM
I've been to 1837online and (having battled with the slow speed of the site tonight.......Any suggestions?
Try in the morning, less people using it and so the speed is quicker.
Geoffers

kazrbutler
21-01-2006, 4:19 PM
Searching in morning is a good suggestion for the future. I was just eager to follow up on suggestions and knew I wouldn't have time this morning as I had a trip to my local studies library planned.

It won't help me with George Fitton though: as the marriage isn't in the Chaplins returns marriages.

Is it possible that the 75th Regiment being based in Stirling, Scotland, that the marriage would have been registered in Scotland, rather than England?

Any ideas for searching a Scottish regimental marriage in India in 1854 would be appreciated.

Karen

Geoffers
21-01-2006, 8:13 PM
Is it possible that the 75th Regiment being based in Stirling, Scotland, that the marriage would have been registered in Scotland, rather than England?
No, it is a British Army Regiment and so registered with British Army records. If it isn't in the Chaplains' returns, the bad news is it probably in the Regimental Registers of Marriages 1796-1924.

These aren't indexed and so access to the records is rather convoluted. I am assuming here that the system is the same (now it is in the FRC) as it was in St.Catherine's House. The good news is that you have all the information you will need - i.e. name, regiment and date. The FRC should have a list of marriage registers which are arranged by regiment. There should be a section in the FRC (it was the Overseas section at St.Catherine's House) which will conduct a search of the correct register for you and from here you should get a certificate - very long winded. But do check with the FRC as to the correct procedure, as you can tell it is many years since I've had to do the same and the process may have got simpler.

Geoffers

kazrbutler
21-01-2006, 9:08 PM
Thanks Geoffers,

at least I now know where to go for the information when I get the chance, so I am a little further forward than I was before, though it won't be for a while.

The delve into 1837online wasn't totally unproductive either. I managed to find the details for the death of a great great uncle in WW1.

Thanks for all the useful information.
Karen

Suebartlett
15-06-2009, 3:09 PM
Hi Karen,
I haven't done any family history for ages, but just popped in this afternoon to have a quick look around.
I too have Fittons, mine were from York, and prior to that they were from Kilnhurst, Whitkirk, and Leeds.
My Gt Grandmother had a Gt Uncle (a Fitton) who was in India, I don't know who it is likely to be, but a family story says that he left a will, all his money would go to the person who remembered his middle names (there were supposed to be lots), but my Dad says his Grandma didn't know them!!
While searching my Fittons, I have also found them spelt Feetham and Fitten.
This doesn't really help you, but thought I would contact you as a fellow Fitton researcher!
Sue

annswabey
15-06-2009, 9:10 PM
If not found in the Army registers, his marriage cert may be available at the India Office at the British Library in London. By the way, if his Army papers have survived at Kew they will give year of birth, rather than actual date.