PDA

View Full Version : marion emily webb

timelord
17-01-2006, 10:00 AM
trying to trace my grandmother marion emily webb, married to joseph downing, my grandfather. however can find no trace of her birth, or marriage. she died in 1968/9 aged about 83.

Trish
17-01-2006, 11:46 AM
trying to trace my grandmother marion emily webb, married to joseph downing, my grandfather. however can find no trace of her birth, or marriage. she died in 1968/9 aged about 83.Some questions:

-- Do you know where she was born? Could it have been somewhere other than Worcestershire?
-- Do you know where she lived before or during her marriage?-- Have you found her on any of the censuses?
-- Where was your grandfather born and where did he live prior to his marriage to your grandmother?
-- What were the names of their children? [They may have been named after parents, grandparents, sisters, brothers, etc.]
-- Could she have been known by her middle name rather than her first name?

There is an Emily WEBB on the 1901 census. She was born about 1885 in Tividale, Staffordshire and she's living at 55 High Street in Dudley, Worcestershire in 1901 with mother Hannah, a widow, and sisters Martha, Gertrude and Alice. [Reference: RG13/2746 Folio 42 Page 5]

Trish

Trish
17-01-2006, 11:52 AM
There's also a Marion E. WEBB in the 1901 census, also born about 1885 -- in Penkridge, Staffordshire.

In 1901, this Marion is living at Milton Ho [House?], Station Rd, Herne Bay, Kent with her widowed grandmother, Elizabeth STEELE, 64, and Elizabeth's unmarried daughter Ella R. STEELE, 24. Elizabeth is working as a "Fancy Stationer" and Ella is a "Mothers Keep." [Reference: RG13/798 Folio 66 Page 20]

Trish

timelord
17-01-2006, 12:55 PM
thanks, not honestly sure where she was born, it was rumoured that her father was captain webb, the first man to swim the channel. but he had no offspring, but i think her faters name was matthew, hence the nickname captain. so it is possible he was from the stourbridge.