PDA

View Full Version : Woore--Staffordshire or Shropshire?

Yvonnesuz
05-01-2006, 4:30 PM
I have a relative born c 1821 who states in the censuses he was born in Woore, two says Staffordshire and one says Shropshire.
Does anyone know which county it would have been in 1820's so that I can start looking for his family (Ravenscroft).

Terry
05-01-2006, 4:57 PM
From http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/Mucklestone/Gaz1868.html

"WOORE, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Mucklestone, Drayton division of North Bradford, hundred, county Salop, 7 miles N.E. of Market-Drayton. The ecclesiastical district includes the township, and extends into the adjoining county of Stafford. Its population in 1861 was 839, and that of the township 783. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, was erected in 1830. There are National and Sunday schools."

jeeb
05-01-2006, 5:04 PM
Hi Yvonne,
This is one of those tricky parishes, I believe Woore was and to my knowledge still is in the county of Salop and the original parish registers are deposited at the County Record Office. However I think there was a strong link with nearby Mucklestone which is in Staffs and some of the Woore baptisms are recorded in that register. I am not sure where Mucklestone registers are but there is likely to be a copy at Shrewsbury. Sorry I can't be more specific.
Cheers Jeremy.

Yvonnesuz
05-01-2006, 5:12 PM
Thank you both.