PDA

View Full Version : Military Medal Award

TRACEYG
05-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Could someone please advise me on the best way to investigate why my Husbands Grandfather was awarded the Military Medal in WW1. The information I have so far is that it was for action on 8/9/10th August 1917. I know the battle in which it was awarded, and I know that it was gazeted on 2nd November 1917, but I can not find out why he received it. His name was Ernest Lenton Chester. He was a Corporal the 6th Northamptonshire regiment and his number was 14375. I also have copies of his cards from the National Archives. Hope someone can help please

Geoffers
05-01-2006, 1:08 PM
There may be better sources to try, but I'd suggest:

The National Archives - does his service record survive?

The National Archives - war diaries. Those for the 6th Northants are in WO95/2044

Northamptonshire Regimental Museum, using a search engine several sites give this as the address/contact:
Abington Park Museum
Park Avenue South
Northampton
NN1 5LW
Telephone: 01604 838 110
Fax: 01604 838720
Email: museums@northampton.gov.uk (museums@northampton.gov.uk)

Geoffers

TRACEYG
05-01-2006, 3:16 PM
Thank you so much for replying so quickly. I will try the war diaries and the museum next. Again, many thanks.
Tracey.

Terry Reeves
05-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Citations for the MM were never published and the chances of him being mentioned in the unit war diary are very slim indeed, although every source needs to be checked of course. Another source may be his home town local newspaper.

6 Northants were part of 54 Brigade, 18th ( Eastern Divison). The date of the Gazette suggests the possibilty of it being awarded for an action during the Battle of Passchendael in which the Division took part.probably in early October. Or possibly the actions at Pilkelm Ridge or Westhoek on 31 July and 10th August
respectively.

Terry Reeves