PDA

View Full Version : williams mystery

beachy
04-01-2006, 7:18 PM
Around 1937-43 my grandparents where living at Traflagar terrace swansea,my grandfather joseph williams was a dock labourer,his wife emily margaret(nee dicker)williams had four daughters,one being my birth mother.about 1942 the house they where living in was bombed,all of my family survived,but joseph williams disappeared.leaving his wife and children.My grandmother died in 1956 from lung cancer at burghill her husbands name was not on her death certificate why?????????????????.does anyone know how i can solve this mystery,all i have is the year of his birth,his fathers name,and my grandparents marriage certificate.Can anyone help please please,please

Pam Downes
04-01-2006, 8:37 PM
Hi Beachy,
I would recommend that you contact Traceline. I haven't used it myself, but I know someone who has.
Pam Downes

beachy
06-01-2006, 1:17 PM
pat downes
many thanks for that will give it a go.
thanks

Peter Goodey
06-01-2006, 4:27 PM
"her husbands name was not on her death certificate "

Are you sure they were still married?

Geoffers
06-01-2006, 5:33 PM
about 1942 the house they where living in was bombed,all of my family survived,but joseph williams disappeared.
Just to deal with the obvious first, did he die, or go missing in the bombing? (i.e. dead, but body not found)

Geoffers

Wirral
06-01-2006, 5:45 PM
Who registered the death? It could have been a neighbour, not necessarily a close family member. Perhaps they did not know the name of the husband or thought he was already dead.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but as you refer to her as your "birth mother" I am guessing that you were adopted. Do you have contact with any other members of the family? Do they know when Joseph actually disappeared? Was it when the house was bombed or sometime during the war after the house was bombed?

beachy
08-01-2006, 12:40 PM
To ALL
have not found any proof of a devorce,some older family members say they never devorced??my grandmother was placed at st marys hospital from Dishley street Leominster in 1955 she did not have any one living with her.she died there in 1956 from lung cancer and was burried in what they called the looney section at st marys church burghill WHICH IS NOT VERY NICE AND I HATE THOSE WORDS.according to an aunt(his daughter) Joseph Williams disappeared just after the bombing,there was a Luther Jones living in the same house he was injured and later died at Clarance street.Joseph Williams was a very strict catholic.according to the same aunt she believed Joseph Williams died in 1984 in Hereford but there is no record of this.I can not take to heart what my birth mother have told me not to sound cruel but she have suffered mental problems her self and my aunt gets very confused.

Geoffers
08-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Joseph Williams disappeared just after the bombing,there was a Luther Jones living in the same house he was injured and later died at Clarance street.Joseph Williams was a very strict catholic.according to the same aunt she believed Joseph Williams died in 1984 in Hereford but there is no record of this.
Personal recollections are useful to guide research, to give ideas as to where to try searching for records - but they aren't proof and memory is fallible. If you haven't alread, you do need to check first that Joseph Williams wasn't killed in the bombing. Being a dock worker, he could have drowned and his body not been found.

Could he have suffered mental injury as a result of the bombing and been placed in a hospital? There was still a stigma about people in families suffering such illnesses then and it may have been deliberately hidden.

As to a Joseph Williams dying around 1984 - have you been able to check the GRO index to confirm this? Perhaps the memory of when and where he died is slightly wrong.

Geoffers

beachy
09-01-2006, 10:36 AM
hi Geoffers,many thanks for the advice i will look into it and let you know.

Peter Goodey
09-01-2006, 11:17 AM
"My grandmother died in 1956 from lung cancer at burghill her husbands name was not on her death certificate"

I don't think you should agonise too much about the death certificate itself. If she died in hospital, I guess someone from the hospital was the informant. Now she would hardly have told the hospital that her husband was her next of kin if he'd been missing for 15 years!

More to the point - if you particularly want to pursue it - was there a divorce or annulment (including presumption of death)? You should be able to find that out fairly easily (although it may cost). The other question is when did he die. Unfortunately with such a common name, that may not be easy.

Pam Downes
09-01-2006, 7:11 PM
The other question is when did he die. Unfortunately with such a common name, that may not be easy.Which is why I think Traceline is the way to go to find the death. My friend's Traceline search went back to the late 1940s and came back with details of a remarriage and then a date of death (plus possibly the place) with the GRO ref.

More to the point - if you particularly want to pursue it - was there a divorce or annulment (including presumption of death)? You should be able to find that out fairly easily (although it may cost). Once you have a date of death it makes searching for other details such as a divorce much easier, because you know the time-frame in which to work.
Pam Downes

Sandman
10-01-2006, 2:49 PM
Once you have a date of death it makes searching for other details such as a divorce much easier, because you know the time-frame in which to work.
Pam Downes[/QUOTE]

I often wonder when you hear of people missing after accidents whether they take that as an opportunity to disappear and start a new life elsewhere.

Peter Goodey
10-01-2006, 2:59 PM
"Which is why I think Traceline is the way to go to find the death"
You may well be right. I'm afraid Traceline's a bit beyond my ken |blush| .

peter nicholl
10-01-2006, 8:08 PM
,all i have is the year of his birth,his fathers name,and my grandparents marriage certificate.Can anyone help please please,please
Hi Beachy

There are no deaths recorded in Hereford for Joseph Williams between Jan 1984 and Dec 1988. Do you have his full date of birth, or as above, just the year?

Peter

beachy
10-01-2006, 8:43 PM
hi Peter Nicholls
All i have is the year of his birth 1914 and a copy of his marriage certificate,i have also now found the name of the street where both my grandparents where in service and the church.how do i find any info concerning this place,i can not find any hotels on the street so was wondering if it was a big house the worked in?????????????????????????

peter nicholl
11-01-2006, 8:36 PM
Hi Beachy

Depending on what's available you may find your big house answer in a street directory for the area during the time in question, look at the Archive CD Books catalogue ;) . You may also find something at http://www.historicaldirectories.org/ .
There seem to be quite a few Joseph Williams born in 1914, so your search may not be easy (that's not meant to be discouraging, honest). What was the name of Joseph's father? Don't be afraid to ask the obvious, like do you know for sure whether Joseph was Welsh? If, Yes, then as a first rough cut concentrate on Welsh Registration Districts for his birth. I have a similar problem with a disappearing Grandfather and after 10 years it's still a brick wall..

Peter