PDA

View Full Version : Exciting genealogical finds!

clarefmshaw
03-01-2006, 7:28 PM
Has anyone found anyone or anything !TRULY EXCITING! in their genealogical searches - ie someone who was famous/infamous?! Or just something wildly unexpected?!

Probably a bit of New Year gloom, but I've just felt strangely glum about my ancestry (other than a couple of naughty grandfathers - army desertion/bigamy......)

best wishes
Clare

Burrow Digger
03-01-2006, 7:40 PM
Other than the fact that Paul McDonald, one of New Zealand's Olympic canoeists at the 1984 Olympics who several won gold medals, is distantly related to my family only by marriage, no I havent found anyone of interest.

Two of Paul's uncles married two of my fathers cousins. :)

BD

RichardMarcJ
03-01-2006, 8:01 PM
George Bernard Shaw is distantly related to my family through a couple marriages.

clarefmshaw
03-01-2006, 8:52 PM
George Bernard Shaw is distantly related to my family through a couple marriages.

Wow! you lucky person.....believe it or not, I've always dreamed of being related to G B Shaw (only because of my surname and an Irish family connection).....

Wirral
03-01-2006, 9:34 PM
Just found today in 1851 census, living in Shipston on Stour, Worcs:

Robert Strong, head, widr, 57, Cordwainer, Worcs. Shipston on Stour
Mary Strong, sister, wid, 73 Worcs. Shipston on Stour
David Duford, cousin, unmarried, 80, income from French Government, London, insane

I'd love to know the story behind that! :eek:

clarefmshaw
03-01-2006, 10:14 PM

Robert Strong, head, widr, 57, Cordwainer, Worcs. Shipston on Stour
Mary Strong, sister, wid, 73 Worcs. Shipston on Stour
David Duford, cousin, unmarried, 80, income from French Government, London, insane

blooming heck Wirral! Presumably this is a relative!

Wirral
03-01-2006, 10:19 PM
No such luck. Just the entry above the one I was looking for (who weren't related to me either!)

kazrbutler
03-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Recently, I did a little research on my uncle's (mother's brother in law) ancestors. Some of these were a family RODDAs, who moved from Cornwall to Derbyshire - from copper/ tin mines to coal mines. Searching for them in 1881 census on Family Search, I came across one entry which looked familiar. There was Samuel Rodda the brother of my uncle's ancestor (Eliza Hoskin nee Rodda), living as a lodger in the household of Ann Wainwright in West Mosbro, Eckington. Nothing especially unusual, until I realised why it was familiar and that I had already printed off this information. Ann Wainwright was my Gt GT GT Grandmother on my father's side!

Coincidences keep cropping up in my family tree, but they never seem to stop surprising me.

Karen

Colin Moretti
04-01-2006, 9:41 AM
Frustrated by the lack of progress with my MORETTIs I started looking at someone who seemed to be associated with family (Charles PAGLIANO, witness at marriages & baptisms, one Moretti got married from his hotel, another lived there). It was a bit like looking for the car keys under the street light, lots of references to Charles, his father and their business on the internet and at Kew. I found references to a case concerning his will in Chancery papers at TNA so followed it up. Imaging my delight when I found that one of the documents was a family tree of my Morettis prepared for the court to resolve the distribution of the estate as a number of the original legatees (including my gg grandfather) had died. It was only two generations but the number of questions it answered concerning dates of marriage, names of spouses and children, dates of birth, relationships, was astonishing. The original will was very helpful too!

Colin

Diane Grant-Salmon
11-01-2006, 7:27 PM
The only bit of *fame* is in my husband's family tree! My lot were all *ordinary* :D

Erasmus Welby's (born 1815) Gt.Gt. Uncle was Erasmus Darwin, who was the Grandfather of Charles Robert Darwin. This makes Erasmus Welby (who was named after his Gt.Gt. Uncle) the second Cousin once removed of Charles Robert Darwin ....... very remote connection I know, but it's nice to have * a bit of posh*! ;)

peter nicholl
11-01-2006, 7:54 PM
Hi Clare
A couple from your neck of the woods. Raymond Mays, the racing car driver and the man behind the ERA and the BRM was my third cousin once removed. Also for a long time I thought that through our common ancestor, William Shilcock, we were related by marriage to Matthew Flinders. In one of his letters he talks of his "Aunty Shilcock" who died from falling from her horse. There still may be a link, but if there is it goes back a few more generations.
Peter

Burrow Digger
22-01-2006, 1:08 AM
I have actually just discovered another one :)

Last week I thought I would check out a fellow named Edward Bentall Collis from Essex who married my grandmothers sister.

I found two things -
One was a website with the entire family tree back to the 1600s

And the second was a convicted murderer!!!
This Samuel Collis turned out to be Edward Bentall Collis's uncle.

I would like to say thank you to Ann Brock who was very generous in locating these two websites for me.

I wasnt expecting to find anything much, and I'm kind of jealous coz NOTHING like this ever happened in my tree. :(
Edward Collis is not related to me (except by marriage) although his grandchildren are my second cousins.

BTW Ann, Bert turned out to be a very nice chap.

Burrow Digger

Ladkyis
22-01-2006, 1:13 PM
My father's cousin, Mai JONES, wrote the music for the unofficial Welsh national anthem "We'll Keep a Welcome in the Hillsides".

Now here's the thing she was called Gladys May JONES when she was born and in the 1901 census but I cannot find the correct birth certificate for her - over 30 quid spent so far - and I have this vague memory of my father saying that he had discovered that she was adopted although he never said how he knew this.

there is also the vague family story that my grandmother's family were related to someone called Anthony HOPE who apparently invented the post office or perhaps it was postage stamps or even post boxes. Hmmm there's a subject for a rainy afternoon.
Ann

AnnB
22-01-2006, 1:51 PM
BTW Ann, Bert turned out to be a very nice chap.

Burrow Digger
Glad to hear it BD, and pleased to have helped. If only our Collis's were as happy to be found - even with a murderer included ;)

Best wishes
Ann

ziksby
25-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Sheleen mentioned Robert E Lee. I have the real one in my tree, very distantly related as follows.....
Peter Jones (b.1819), the brother of my great great grand father converted to Mormonism and emigrated to the States in 1844. He married Mary Lee Bland in Utah. She came from Kentucky. My genealogy software says that ....
Mary Lee Bland`s grandfather`s cousin`s grandson is Robert `E`Lee.

In addition and also on the Mormon theme, I find that my great grandfather`s cousin`s wife`s father was John Taylor - 3rd President of the Church of Latter Day Saints. The cousin was Daniel Harrington, nephew of the above Peter Jones.

joette
25-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Keep hoping, but there may be a connection & how appropriate on his birthday a connection between Rabbie Burns & my Grandfather's Uncle James Scott.Still trying to work it out & as Rabbie was a "one" for the ladies may be a long trawl.
Having said that I understand that he always held his hands up when paternity was questioned & admitted the possibility & provided financially where possible & needed.

norfolk white
25-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Whilst carrying out research on my mother's line I found that her g.g.grandmother was called Mary Brownrigg born 1813 at Whitbeck, Cumberland (christened 17 May 1813 also at Whitbeck).

Then, looking up my father line I found that his great grandfather was called James Brownrigg born 1826 at Annaside near Whitbeck and was christened 5 November 1826.

Mary Brownrigg's parents were called John Brownrigg and Sarah Tyson.
James Brownrigg's parents were called John Brownrigg and Sarah Tyson

John and Sarah had 13 children, Mary was the eldest and James was child number seven. Between Mary and the youngest child (Hannah) there was 27 years and between Mary and James there was 13 years.

So, not only are my parents husband and wife but also 3rd cousins once removed and not only am I my parents' son but also 3rd cousin twice removed to my father and 4th cousin to my mother.

JohnMorrisonIOM
24-02-2006, 4:41 PM
In doing my research on my Grandmother, I came acroos this one.
It's a mouthful, My GG Aunt's Husband's Grandmother' first husband, apparently killed his first wife with a red hot poker.... AND got away with it!!
Still trying to track down the details.
His name was John Cowx, bn around 1780 in Cumberland but moved to Ballaugh in the Isle of Man.
I haven't yet managed to find out the name of the wife he is supposed to have killed.

GillC
16-06-2006, 2:32 PM
My only claim to fame as far as my ancestors is - my Grandfathers great uncle is a Yorkshire Cricketer called George Ulyett. He played in the "Ashes" game, with W G Grace, that was so bad it caused the ashes to be. In fact he was the highest english run scorer on the test.
He was also porported to be the cricketer to have created the "yorker ball" - because of his unusual bowling technique.
So if anyone else is related to him - they may well be related to me............ cool eh

Ledganteast
23-06-2006, 4:03 AM
I got part of my family tree written in 1904 from a maritime museum at the top it states "descendants of Gallant Hampton of historic fame" I have never found out who on earth he was or what he was famous for.Which I guess makes him not very famous at all!

Ledganteast
23-06-2006, 4:06 AM
That is an incredible link.

"His sister Mary, "worn down to a state of extreme nervous misery by attention to needlework by day and to her mother at night", was seized with acute mania and stabbed her mother to the heart with a table knife. With the help of friends he succeeded in obtaining his sister's release from what would otherwise have been lifelong imprisonment, on the condition that he take personal responsibility for her safekeeping."

shasfern
27-06-2006, 5:19 PM
Hi Clare, this may be of interest to you on both the infamous and Shaw fronts. I was adopted - but my birth father was Frederick Charles paul Shaw born 1927 in Plumstead (believed also to have been adopted so no birth records), died 1964 in Lambeth Prison. He was tried and convicted at the Old Bailey for producing the 1st 'Ladies Directory'. Quite a conversation piece!!!
Sharon.

Pegasus
27-06-2006, 7:31 PM
Not 'Proven' (Yet!)

But, My Maternal Grandfather was 6 Generations removed from John & James Hardman of Allerton Hall (one of them, [I can never remember which] was married to the Daughter of a Major of Liverpool (Cockshut).

The tale of 'Great Expections' was Inspired by the Hardman/Allerton Hall Mystery!

Both John & James died within a few Years of each other, their children having died (or been Murdered) before their passing, so their Estate (which was Quite Large even by Todays Standards) was left to anyone that could Prove Descent from a Common Ancestor ( Heirs in Common or Heirs Appartant)!

My Grandfather was aproached by distant cousins (who wanted His Help to Prove Their Claim), He would'nt even let them 'Accross the Threshhold' & told them "I want Nothing to Do with 'It', There is Blood on That Money".

What He Knew (but Never told them) was that there had Already been an Act of Parliament passed (at the request of Liverpool City Council, which Held Most of the Freeholds & Leases of the Hardman Properties/Lands) to Bar ANY Further Claimants to the Hardman Estate!

P.S.

If Fate had'nt been so Cruel I might have been born in a 4-poster Bed in a Panelled Room (with a Silver Spoon in my Mouth!).

irisrose
27-06-2006, 7:46 PM
My list is endless here are some of the famous people in my tree.
Lord Thomas Babington Macaulay and his Father Zachary both buried in Poets Corner Westminster Abbey.
Sir Charles Trevelyan
Sir Aulay Macaulay
Sir James Parker Smith
Head Masters of Harrow, Rugby and Repton Schools.
Ursula Darwin Great Grandaughter of Charles Darwin married one of my distant relatives.

RichardMarcJ
30-06-2006, 5:49 PM
My great-grandma's sister's husband was the nephew of George Bernard Shaw.

chopendoz
22-09-2006, 6:46 PM
In my family there are no outstanding relatives - apart from a couple of bigamists, a prostitute and an uncle who wrote a book about UFO's. Of course, Lloyd George knew my mother!

GeoffD
26-09-2006, 10:39 AM
In my family there are no outstanding relatives ... and an uncle who wrote a book about UFO's.

Hmmmmm .... not Richard T*mb***g by any chance?

JeanetteH
27-09-2006, 8:06 AM
Yes I have . . . I was surprised to discover a while back that I am a distant cousin of the Duchess of Gloucester . . . through my Danish great-grandfather. Not strictly "British genealogy" I know, but sort of in an indirect kind of way.

Searching for descendants of your ancestor's siblings can be very rewarding - you never know who you might have a connection to!

Jeanette
Brisbane, Qld

GeoffD
06-10-2006, 10:35 PM
I am privy to a tree (from a distant cousin many times removed) which contains some old Pommy geezer named PLANTAGENET, Henry (III) and his delightful (?) offspring, Edward I "Longshanks" and, of course, the latter's fancy Spanish in-laws.

Delving further, I also find someone called William, born October, 1024 in Normandy. He did a bit of conquering in 1066, I am told. His pa-in-law was Baudoin V, but I've got a quicker way to get to that family - my great-uncle Harry married one of 'em.

Following the lines down from these worthies is a wonderful lesson in the 'decline of the nobility', with eventual marriages into humble fisherfolk families of West Penwith. Ain't genealogy grand?

JeanetteH
07-10-2006, 2:47 AM
I am privy to a tree (from a distant cousin many times removed) which contains some old Pommy geezer named PLANTAGENET, Henry (III) and his delightful (?) offspring, Edward I "Longshanks" and, of course, the latter's fancy Spanish in-laws.

Delving further, I also find someone called William, born October, 1024 in Normandy. He did a bit of conquering in 1066, I am told. His pa-in-law was Baudoin V, but I've got a quicker way to get to that family - my great-uncle Harry married one of 'em.

Following the lines down from these worthies is a wonderful lesson in the 'decline of the nobility', with eventual marriages into humble fisherfolk families of West Penwith. Ain't genealogy grand?

LOL! I suppose it all depends on what one finds "exciting".

BevGibbs
07-10-2006, 3:30 AM
I come from an steady line of agricultural labourers, brewery labourers, grocers and blacksmiths but.......

Unproven but my maternal great-greats were related to the "Rugely Poisoner" who I understand was Britains first serial killer. I say unproven but one of his portaits simply looks like my brother in fancy dress. Uncanny

I also have Charles Bannister who was deputy director of what is now the Laboratory of the Government Chemist (interesting to me as I worked at the physics lab. for 7 years which is on the same site as the chemists in Teddington)

If you look at the shape and nature of family trees, think it unsurprising that everyone would come across someone famous or notorious, especially by the time you have gone back a few generations - so I just keep looking. Having said that Im prepared to swap my Rugely Poisoner for William the Conqueror...........

GeoffD
07-10-2006, 7:56 AM
I love seeing the occupations of my ancestors - fisherman, carpenter, net maker, quarryman, cigar maker ...

If you look at the shape and nature of family trees, think it unsurprising that everyone would come across someone famous or notorious, especially by the time you have gone back a few generations - so I just keep looking. Having said that Im prepared to swap my Rugely Poisoner for William the Conqueror...........

My point exactly - even an ordinary person from the tiny village of Mousehole can have Kings of England in the family tree. Time and marriage are great levellers.

chopendoz
23-12-2006, 10:47 AM
I have been researching the CAMPINI family originally from Switzerland and came across an entry on the LDS site. It seems that one Ottone CAMPINI married a French princess in 1936 and there is a record of her pedigree with princes, dukes, kings, countesses.. you name it. It goes way back to some Bohemian aristos in 654 AD. Sadly, the guy is probably an Italian CAMPINI so I can't really claim noble blood. Perhaps I could adopt him ?

Burrow Digger
25-12-2006, 5:38 PM
In doing my mothers family tree over the last 12 months, I came across her 2x gt grandmother - Jane Pellew Mallett. Jane was born in Cornwall, the bastard child of Mary Mallett, but it looks like Mary's mother was a Pellew - descended from the famous Pellew Royal Navy family of Trafalgar Battle fame.

Anyway, out of curiousity I was looking at Drew Barrymore's ancestry recently (yes the American actress) and came across a mention that said that she had an ancestress who was also a Pellew descended from the same Cornish family.

I got quite excited about this possible distant connection - until I did some further research and discovered that the original Pellew name in Drews line was not correct. I had found this Pellew name on Rootsweb, and I think it was just someones imagination, but everything I researched said it was wrong.

I'm a little disappointed. :(

BD

Lurch Addams
25-11-2008, 7:33 PM
I was delighted to find this beaker in the National maritime museum,engraved by my 4xgtgrandfather Nathaniel Spilman.
He was from gt Yarmouth and was most probably at the quay side when the fleet returned after Trafalgar :D

I am also apparantly related to Aka Bilk and distantly to John McEnroe,although i havnt bothered to confirm the latter.

http://s308.photobucket.com/albums/kk329/lr229/trafalgar.jpg

mins-jones1
25-11-2008, 8:28 PM
I found that My Ggrandmother was the Ggrandaughter of John Peel 'The Huntsman' The Toby Jug is modelled on his face. Also my 2 Ggrandfathers were brothers and that 3 siblings (2 brothers & 1 sister)of their mothers emigrated to America.They all made their fortunes and one of the decendants was a Vera Palmer who was better known as Jayne Mansfield. So she was a 'cousin' of my dads!!!!
I LOVE all this researching. Families can be funny some times.|wave|

v.wells
25-11-2008, 10:51 PM
"Lurch, what a stunning piece of work by your ancestor!" What a terrific find for you:)

My only claim to fame is an author/illustrator who died on the moon (since I can't find his carcass anywhere) and a head gardener at Howth Castle, Dublin! You are exceedingly lucky to have stumbled on such a great find!

dreward
26-11-2008, 7:31 AM
Well, unless you count the fact that I'm the 7th cousin 4x removed, or is it it the other way around, of Sir Joshua Reynolds, then no.

And for those curious, I haven't got a gnat's toe worth of artistic expression in me. Mind you I also have two Mayors of Exeter buried way back in my ancestry and a thief who got deported to Australia in 1839.

And on a more positive note, one close relation fathered about 5 "half-a-crown" babies more than 140 years ago, half-a-crown then being the sum needed to buy off the mothers.

Surprisingly I was able to find the present day descendant of one of them and still in contact.

Dave

*bunty*
26-11-2008, 11:16 AM
My great grandmother was Lydia Robinson. Her brother was Lumley Robinson who invented the jubilee clip (you know those hose clamps with the screw? Google it and you will see). That is about as close as I get to fame |laugh1|.

*bunty*
26-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Oh, I forgot. My naughty 3 x great grandmother's first 4 children were illegitimate. The firstborn John, stayed in North Wales. My line Charles moved to Yorkshire. John's line produced a daughter Phyllis Parrish who married John Prescott and produced a John Presecott, who apparently is some politician in the UK. So that's my double claim to fame. Perhaps WDYTYA will do a programme on John Prescott and help me with my naughty 3xg grandmother! LOL

Aislin
26-11-2008, 1:41 PM
I discovered that I'm related to the Yales (of the University fame). Doesn't make me any smarter though...

Lurch Addams
26-11-2008, 4:56 PM
"Lurch, what a stunning piece of work by your ancestor!" What a terrific find for you:)

I would have prefered to find it in the cupboard ,|laugh1|

but at least everybody gets to see it where it is.

Apparantly there is another "work" of his there,i must go and see what it is.

susan-y
26-11-2008, 5:48 PM
I would have prefered to find it in the cupboard ,|laugh1|

but at least everybody gets to see it where it is.

Apparantly there is another "work" of his there,i must go and see what it is.

I think I would feel like you do..... prefer it to be in my cupboard, but at least you know it is being well taken care of and will be appreciated for many generations to come where it is. At least they let you take a picture so you can have that. All that intricate work is really beautiful.

Sue

Davran
26-11-2008, 6:11 PM
I am descended from Rev George Sexton. "Who was he?", I hear you ask. Well in his day he was a well-known preacher, who merits a chapter in the recently-published book by Timothy Larsen called "Crisis of Doubt".

George was the son of a Norfolk farmer, who, by means unknown, became the possessor of various letters after his name. He was a surgeon and doctor of law, amongst other things, and wrote a number of books and lectures on religious and medical matters. He collaborated with Conan Doyle on a book about spiritualism, but then returned to Christianity.

He must have been quite a character. One of his works was on the subject of "infidelity" (probably towards the church), which made me laugh because this highly-respected figure led a double life, having an actress as a mistress and several illegiitmate children. He went on a lecture tour of North America in the early 1880s (to escape the complications of having both wife and mistress?) and died in Canada in 1898.

Jane Gee
26-11-2008, 7:15 PM
I think finding that a relative was murdered supposedly by aboriginies in 1854 what a story what a treasure loads of chasing this story trying to fill in the details and making strides forward thanks to the internet.

Aislin
26-11-2008, 7:45 PM
I am descended from Rev George Sexton. "Who was he?", I hear you ask.

Good ears. I'm in the US.
:D

Jane Gee
26-11-2008, 7:59 PM
Our family legend says we were related to Catherine Parr but since she died without issue (rumours of a daughter born abound) I am 99.9% sure its untrue. However my 3x gt uncle George Parr who was a bookseller and stationer in Barnes Surrey is supposed to have entertained Chalres Dickens at his shop together with other academics how I can prove this I dont know. I know there is a Dickens society but feel silly writing to them although I would actually love this because I really like Dickens.
Without naming names my ex brother in law has a famous food writer as his cousin although I never met him

Barnzzz
26-11-2008, 10:58 PM
My husband has a chairman of Hovis and the "man who invented adventure playgrounds" in his tree.

My mum is convinced we are descended from Anne Boleyn's sister, Mary. We shall see.......

Sue

Wirral
26-11-2008, 11:58 PM
The niece of my g,g,g,g-grandfather, Mary Ann CHAWORTH, was Lord Byron's childhood sweetheart. Byron's Mary was the inspiration for some of his early poems, until he overheard her refer to him as "that lame boy". He later said his life might have been very different if he had married Miss Chaworth.
Maybe he wouldn't have been "mad, bad & dangerous to know"!

Toronto
27-11-2008, 12:11 AM
My exciting find was the project that started me on my family quest............. I was searching for a grandmother for ten years who gave my mother way. Finally, three weeks ago, I located a cousin of hers through snail mail who was able to tell me about her and where she lived and about her new families.

Merry Christmas to you all and truly ................ a very happy new year.

Mike Morris
Toronto Canada ex Manchester England

Izzycat
27-11-2008, 8:32 AM
No famous or infamous peeps so far but a distant cousin of my husband's was a well known New York stage & costume designer, John Boyt, he turns up everywhere on a Google search. An as yet unrelated line from Hampshire, emigrated to Iowa & started up a harness company which then branched out into luggage so we have some with the name BOYT all over it - very useful for identifying on the airport baggage reclaims.
In my own tree, my 2 x gt grandfather was a local & county councillor - very exciting to find because he owned loads of property & land in Monmouthshire & turns up absolutely everywhere.

I've loved reading about everyone elses exciting finds & the picture of the engraving is wonderful - nothing as glam as that in my stuff but I do get excited if I find a photograph of my lot :o)

Eileen

chrisj1961
27-11-2008, 9:44 AM
Well .......... so far I have a bigamist, a murderer, a poacher but probably the most interesting thing I have found out is that my direct ancestors (long long time ago - 1600's backwards) were knights of the realm, going backwards further, French royalty !! - am well impressed and certainly did not expect this !!:D:D:D

v.wells
27-11-2008, 3:26 PM
Or beyond to Genetic Soup|laugh1|

Jane Gee
27-11-2008, 3:46 PM
I thought we can out a black hole or was that part of the big band theory?
Now my brother when he was born arrived by a green van, or so my mother told me.

Calikilmarnock
14-01-2009, 9:17 PM
I've found out about four children belonging to my great grandmother that no-one new of here. They had all been sent by Quarriers homes to Canada, in a programme known there as 'Home' children. I am now in regular touch with my mother's cousin, sharing what information we can find. Cali

v.wells
14-01-2009, 11:57 PM
I've found out about four children belonging to my great grandmother that no-one new of here. They had all been sent by Quarriers homes to Canada, in a programme known there as 'Home' children. I am now in regular touch with my mother's cousin, sharing what information we can find. Cali

How wonderful for you Cali! |hug| It is a wonderful thing when they actually share stuff with you. I hope you glean a lot of "past" history from your mother's cousins.:D

Mutley
15-01-2009, 12:02 AM

Mad dogs and English men go out ......... :D

ash33au
15-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Through a long and exhaustive family tree prepared by a royal historian I found beyond all doubt that I am a 24th cousin twice removed of Queen Elizabeth II, which as anyone who knows much about the Queens genealogy would know, means I am related to essentially every European royal family dating back to the Roman times as well as a large number of Irish and English royal families from different eras.

And here I am a humble journalist living in Australia. One thing I can say is that it makes for great conversation over a cold one or even a cuppa ;)

pottoka
17-01-2009, 2:17 AM
It's strange, isn't it, that I think there's nothing special about any of my family and yet I got you quite excited! And I forgot to mention the plasterers (i.e. not ag labs!) and the bigamist ... :)

ash33au
17-01-2009, 6:09 AM
That's why I said that I am related to the current Queen as well as several earlier British monarchs from much earlier times than those you have mentioned.

Remember Britain wasn't always governed by the one monarchy...

Jane Gee
17-01-2009, 10:38 AM
I am supposed to be related to catherine parr but as the parr line died out without male issue I dont see how. Did get a book on the family out of curiosity but i have never believed it and this seemed to bare out the fact the it was someone spinning a yarn. :)

kermie62
17-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I started researching my family tree hoping to find someone special and now I am researchivg my family tree hoping to find someone ordinary. It is such a tease,you find these snippets of amazing people and know there is a lot more but just can never find it. An ordinary life would been a relief

As for famous, to historians some of them are infamous or nortorius but I guess my closest clamin to fam,e would be that one of my ancestors robbed the widow of her lands and she was the grandmother of the British Prime Minster who signed the peace treaty in the American War of Independence

A long stretch I know

Jane Gee
17-01-2009, 7:03 PM
|oopsredfaOh dear just noticed I put on something twice re royal connections on this thread sorry must have had a senior moment.

ash33au
17-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Being of German descent on one side of my family, oral tradition is very well kept and extremely accurate as is the German way of doing things. Therefore we knew for a fact that our Von Bulow line was of very noble descent and subsequently I was put into contact with the royal historian through that side of my family. It is actually quite well documented in print.

Rubina
18-01-2009, 12:33 AM
How lucky are you Ash! Not particularly for your nobleness (!) but to be able to have documented evidence! So, how far has this taken you and have you found anything of interest?

ash33au
18-01-2009, 3:18 AM
It's gone back to the early Roman times and is full of interesting stories :cool:

CornishPixie
18-01-2009, 2:00 PM
My claim to fame would be that I'm related, through marriage, to William Odgers: who was the first recipient of the Victoria Cross awarded in New Zealand.

ash33au
20-01-2009, 2:31 AM

This link books.google.com.au/books?id=w9UYYThhRIQC&pg=PA91&lpg=PA91&dq=frederick+thomas+liddell&source=web&ots=mn4k5YZfzf&sig=GBdrA5tolIa9HUJEG1S1Klaxbk8&hl=en#PPA9,M1 might be of interest

racing girl
20-01-2009, 1:34 PM
My 6 x Gt Grandfather was Daniel Gumb from Linkinhorne in Cornwall. He was a stone cutter by trade but also a self taught mathematician, astronomer and philosopher.... he was a little eccentric to say the least and made his home in a cave on Bodmin Moor where he raised his family. The entrance to the cave still stands, above the door he carved the Pythagoras Theorem, and nearby is a rock carved with his initials and the date of 1735.

My "infamous" relative is one that gets me stony looks on this side of the pond and remarks of "I wouldn't go round admitting to that if I were you!" Many moons ago my 5 x Gt Grandfather, Anthony Burdess married an Ann Rodham in the Allendale area of Northumberland. Ann had a brother who carried on the Rodham name, his descendant emigrated fom Durham to the coalfields of Pennsylvania. This Durham emigrant had a granddaughter named Hilary Rodham who grew up to marry some bloke called Clinton. She's not a popular figure over here, best I don't mention her again!

Brenda

Oates
20-01-2009, 7:23 PM
Has anyone found anyone or anything !TRULY EXCITING! in their genealogical searches - ie someone who was famous/infamous?! Or just something wildly unexpected?!

Probably a bit of New Year gloom, but I've just felt strangely glum about my ancestry (other than a couple of naughty grandfathers - army desertion/bigamy......)

best wishes
Clare

To be honest I would have considered those pretty exciting. Guess it just shows how boring my family history is... Anything that isn't yet another miner/textiles worker married with kids is comparatively unexpected and interesting.

MythicalMarian
20-01-2009, 8:09 PM
No royalty in mine (and isn't it amazing how many trees there are on the Internet that are descended from Royalty - yeah, right!)

I have no real claims to fame other than the Canadian artist Luke Orton Lindoe who is my third cousin once removed. As I never knew he existed, bless him, until I was researching my Lindoes, I can't say I opened the champagne - but I'm sure he was a lovely guy (he died quite recently).

As for exciting - I have two Jacobite rebels who were hanged drawn and quartered, and I love them both. Not famous, not lords, not even Scottish, not even Catholic - but they are mine and I honour their memories.

DBCoup
21-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Robert Louis Stevenson and I have Balfour ancestry in common. He is probably my most well-known "cousin".

chelleb
25-02-2009, 9:24 PM
My husband is very very very distantly related to Abraham Lincoln and Tom Hanks.

josie gardner
26-02-2009, 9:40 PM
On a trip to malta to trace my fathers side of the tree, I went around the parish churches in valletta and vittoriosa. The parish priest told me that my g g g grandmother was a member of an aristocratic family . Her name was virginie testaferrata cassar desajn.
Do I look aristocratic? NO. I am bent double and can't lift my arm up to give a wave, royal or otherwise.
On my mothers side, mining stock. OH and a grandmother with a very fast bike. spent ages on her.
Its all a mixed bag and I love it. Incidentally I am still only at 1811. Sheesh as my father would say.
josie

junedye64
26-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I can't say I've found any famous people among my ancestors but when I was looking in the parish registers in Cleobury Mortimer Salop for one of my Jones, the entry above was:

1813 Bonaparte. In the year of our Lord 15 Jan 1813, was baptized by me, Missionary of the congregation of Mawley, Louis Bonaparte, born yesterday, son of Lucien Bonaparte, born at Ajaccio in Corsica, French Senator, prisoner of war in England, residing at present at Thorngrove, Worcestershire, and of Mary Alexandrine Charlotte Louise Lawrence , of Bleschamps, born at Calais in France, his lawful wife.
Godfather: Charles Jules Lawrence Lucien Bonaparte, brother to the infant.
Godmother: Charlotte Bonaparte, sister of the same infant, born at St.Maximin, in Provence in France.

My Elizabeth Jones was the next to be baptised in that font on 21 Feb 1813.
Thats my claim to fame.

June

aeracura
27-02-2009, 2:04 AM
I don't care who they were or what they did as long as I can find it... I have a few cool finds so far....

* My 29th great grandfather was Edgar Burchys aka Edgar of the Hood (haha gotta love that nickname) and he was slain at the battle of Stanford Bridge, near York.

* My 27th great grandfather was Matheus De-Birches who was esquire to Knight of Withington (Matheus de-Havesage) Military Service ABT 1198 on Crusade to recover Holy Sepulcher.

* My 19th great grandmother died of the plague in the 1400's along with 4 of her children, I'm decended from the only survivor.

* my 11th great grandfather William Birche was supposedly a chaplain to King Edward the VI. His Daughter in law, my 10th Great granny was an Ann Parr supposedly a cousin to Katherine Parr and her son and grandson both became witch hunters!!!

* and my 52nd great grandfather was supposedly King Hengist one of the old English Kings and founder of Kent....

But whilst it's great conversation, I'm just as fascinated with the coal miners and the pony boys...

~ jo

kathmcg
25-03-2009, 9:28 PM
Hi all

Interesting thread, this!

I only started a few weeks ago but was lucky enough to have an unusual name to trace. I managed to link my family tree into the published Plantaganet Blood Royal, and calculated that William the Conqueror is my 31-greats grandfather.

Also found an ancestor William Methwold who was an officer in the East India Company in its early days. He managed to secure peace with the Portuguese in the east, and tried to get Bombay ceded to the British (it finally happened after his death). There's a character William Methwold in Salman Rushdie's book, Midnight's Children. This character is supposedly a descendant of the real William Methwold! I find it cool that my ancestor inspired a Booker-prize winning author.

Ramy
19-04-2009, 1:14 AM
Well, hello cousin (kathymcg)~!! I too am a direct descendant of William the Conqueror.
A couple of years ago I stumbled across a goldmine with the Tillotson (Tilston, De Tilston) side of the family;
I am a direct desendant of Charlemagne, Edward the Bald, King Duncan I King of Scotland (the one killed by MacBeth), his son Malcom and his son Alexander I of Scotland, Henry I of England, Rollo Rognvaldson, William Longsword, Richard I Duke of Normandy, Richard II of Normandy, Robert II Duke of Normandy, William I King of England, Henry I King of England, Edward "Longshanks" Plantagenet and one of his wives; Margueritte (Princess of France) Capet De Valois. There's more but I can't think of them right now.
Now THAT was exciting!! Let me know if there are any cousins out there!!!! I'd love to hear from you!!|jumphappy

Spangle
19-04-2009, 1:45 AM
No kings or queens, just ordinary folks, some with exceptional skills. My Nan's cousin was the internationally famed concert pianist, Irene Kohler and my 6 X Great Grandmother, Rosie Hendricks, was the sister of Uriah Hendricks, who was the leader of the American copper industry, providing the US Navy with metals for use in shipbuilding during the Civil War. He apparently also invented the copper boiler, as an alternative to the previously-used aluminium, which was prone to cracking.

Also on that side we had Sir Duncan Morris Oppenheim, former chair of British American Tobaccos. Journalists feature in the family too, with at least two current distant family members writing for the Times.

Best of all though is a cousin of mine who has inherited the Kohler musical talent and is an internationally acclaimed duettist. I'm SO jealous!

suedent
19-04-2009, 9:14 AM
My 6 x Gt Grandfather was Daniel Gumb from Linkinhorne in Cornwall. He was a stone cutter by trade but also a self taught mathematician, astronomer and philosopher.... he was a little eccentric to say the least and made his home in a cave on Bodmin Moor where he raised his family. The entrance to the cave still stands, above the door he carved the Pythagoras Theorem, and nearby is a rock carved with his initials and the date of 1735.
Brenda

You are lucky, as a child I won a Local History competition run by Liskeard Library. One of the questions was about Daniel. Every time I go to Cheesewring I visit his cave (you can still just about make out the carvings) and have always been fascinated by him.

Sue

POWELLAL1
19-10-2009, 6:08 PM
Whilst carrying out research on my mother's line I found that her g.g.grandmother was called Mary Brownrigg born 1813 at Whitbeck, Cumberland (christened 17 May 1813 also at Whitbeck).

Then, looking up my father line I found that his great grandfather was called James Brownrigg born 1826 at Annaside near Whitbeck and was christened 5 November 1826.

Mary Brownrigg's parents were called John Brownrigg and Sarah Tyson.
James Brownrigg's parents were called John Brownrigg and Sarah Tyson

John and Sarah had 13 children, Mary was the eldest and James was child number seven. Between Mary and the youngest child (Hannah) there was 27 years and between Mary and James there was 13 years.

So, not only are my parents husband and wife but also 3rd cousins once removed and not only am I my parents' son but also 3rd cousin twice removed to my father and 4th cousin to my mother.

Hi,

I have just put the name Mary Brownrigg from Whitbeck into a search engine and your forum comment came up. I have been looking for a family member for a while and a recent contact informed me her name was Brownrigg. I knew she was called Mary born about 1811 and from Whitbeck. Do you know if the Mary Brownrigg you refer to married a Robert Dixon??

Many thanks

SBSFamilyhistory
20-10-2009, 12:14 PM
A distant cousin of mine Sir Frederick Burrows, was the last Govenor of Bengal 1946/7, he was previously the President of the Railway Workers Union.

After that he bcame a Director of Lloyds Bank.

His older brother, Herbert Lionel known my his middle name, went to University and obtained an MA, he wrote school text books and was the first Head of Cheltenham Central School, now Bournside.

A rich family you may be thinking, but no, their father was a labourer. Given that they were born at the end of the 1800's |jumphappy

benny1982
22-10-2009, 5:35 PM
Recently a fellow member on here and I found that I am a distant cousin of the Kray Twins through the Obey surname. Auber is a spelling variant of the surname.

Their 3xgreat grandmother Mary Obey wed John Diggens in 1804. One of the witnesses was Samuel Obey whose signature matches that of my ancestor Samuel Obey born in 1750. Mary's daughter Mary Diggens born 1812 who wed in 1832 had her marriage witnessed by William Auber, Samuel's son born in 1777.

Richard and I are trying to determine the exact relationship to Samuel born 1750 and Mary who wed in 1804 but the likeliest explanation is she was a daughter. We need to find her baptism though. Samuel may have been her uncle but he only had 1 known brother who may have died as a infant.

Whatever, I am still related to the Kray twins. I think Mary was a daughter of Samuel.

MythicalMarian
01-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Ooh - can I give this a quick bump? I am thrilled to have discovered a new connection through my Tayleur family, and can now 'boast' that my fourth cousin 3 times removed was Arthur Ransome who wrote the Swallows and Amazons books, amongst other things! :D

Hehe - it's a genuine totally bona fide connection too through his Mum, Edith. I'm not usually bothered by 'celebrity', but to have an actual author is different, however distant he may be. Yippee. I'm only sorry that my Mum, who was a worshipper of all things literary - as am I - is not here to share this with me.

benny1982
08-11-2009, 8:04 PM
It now looks like I have found a burial for my ancestor George Coombs. Sarah Coombs remarried to James Bradford in 1834 and was a widow. George and Sarah Coombs had their last child baptised in March 1830 in Westminster.

racing girl
11-11-2009, 1:00 PM
You are lucky, as a child I won a Local History competition run by Liskeard Library. One of the questions was about Daniel. Every time I go to Cheesewring I visit his cave (you can still just about make out the carvings) and have always been fascinated by him.

Sue

Sue, that's amazing! I'd love to visit the cave and Linkinhorne in general as so many of my mams ancestors are from there. I understand Daniel carved a lot of the headstones in the churchyard at the time, and he even carved his own epitaph which shows a wonderful sense of humour and irony...

"Here I lie by the churchyard door
Here I lie because I'm poor
The further in, the more you pay
But here lie I as warm as they"

Brenda

Carmy
11-11-2009, 2:59 PM
I've never been in here before, but what an interesting thread. I feel that I should curtsy or touch forelock or something.

As a child, I was told we were related to a famous inventor who lived in 18th century Lancashire. We lived in Wales.

When I began researching my family, many links stayed in Wales but a few began pointing to Lancashire. I won't mention the name until I am more sure of the connection, but with every bit of research I'm closing in on him.

The most amazing thing is that in his photo on the Internet he looks very like the men in my father's family--same hair colour, nose, brow, chin, etc.

benny1982
09-12-2009, 8:29 PM
I think my most exciting genealogical find is that of my 3xgreat grandfather who emigrated in 1886.

SCRITTI
17-02-2010, 4:32 PM
Hi Burrow Digger,
Funnily enough i have Pellow's and Malletts too, so we are probably related, however what is much more interesting is that the Malletts ( and i think there is only about one dodgy link in the line ) all descend from William Mallett right hand man of none other than William the conqueror!
There is also a famous Nathaniel Pellow who was kidnapped as part of the white slave trade and returned to Cornwall after many years in captivity in the middle east ( He features in a book called Nathaniel's Nutmeg)
Apart from the Mallets and Pellow's on my moms side of the family, I also have Bishop Samuel Peplow of Chester on my dads side (multi great uncle) who is the Multi great grandfather of Our own Queen! Dad and the Queen are 12th Cousins!
Pity non of the money came down the line to my family lol

In doing my mothers family tree over the last 12 months, I came across her 2x gt grandmother - Jane Pellew Mallett. Jane was born in Cornwall, the bastard child of Mary Mallett, but it looks like Mary's mother was a Pellew - descended from the famous Pellew Royal Navy family of Trafalgar Battle fame.

Anyway, out of curiousity I was looking at Drew Barrymore's ancestry recently (yes the American actress) and came across a mention that said that she had an ancestress who was also a Pellew descended from the same Cornish family.

I got quite excited about this possible distant connection - until I did some further research and discovered that the original Pellew name in Drews line was not correct. I had found this Pellew name on Rootsweb, and I think it was just someones imagination, but everything I researched said it was wrong.

I'm a little disappointed. :(

BD

Hils Hoppo
17-02-2010, 6:24 PM
"I come from an steady line of agricultural labourers, brewery labourers, grocers and blacksmiths but.......

Unproven but my maternal great-greats were related to the "Rugely Poisoner" who I understand was Britains first serial killer. I say unproven but one of his portaits simply looks like my brother in fancy dress."

Would that be William Palmer the Harold Shipman of his day? I have Palmers in my tree and was contacted some time ago by a lady who was a descendant of a mutual step grandmother. She had inherited a family bible which had a reference to William Palmer in it. Neither of us have been able to find a link to our Palmers but it seems a very strange thing to enter in the family bible - not exactly the sort of thing you'd want to be associated with!!

The only other 'interesting' person in my tree is my 3 x Gt Grandmother, Mary Lightning. Again I've been contacted by someone whose husband is descended from her and she apparently has evidence that Mary's father was a Cherokee Indian who came over in the 1700's. I've yet to see the evidence but it would be nice to have some 'exotic' blood in the family!

Leamingtonian
25-03-2010, 4:25 PM
What some cracking stories. No one famous in mine but when talking to my elderly mother (92) and showing her a photo of her with her bridesmaids she told me that her chief bridesmaid later married the chauffer at Stoneleigh Abbey, Warwickshire. It was her husband (the chauffer) that poisoned his wife (chief bridesmaid) in the late 70's in a case that became known as 'The Gentle Poisoner'. So I'm now off to the Herbert Gallery in Coventry to read about it as I cannot find any links on the web...unless someone out there knows differently of course!!

keith.robinson
25-03-2010, 9:55 PM
In the madness that is A******y I chased my Robinson line back to Stone in Staffordshire around 1730. James Robinson is my ggggg g/father. His son William has a son, Henry, he is my link and another son, Charles, who married Mary Ann Rangeley. The family appears on the 1841 census living in Shrewsbury Shropshire and after that emigrate to the USA. Their son, William Dixon Robinson married Abigail Dyer. According to A******y's "Finding Famous Relatives" feature, Abigail has the following famous ancestors and how they are related. Frances Cleveland, wife of US pres Grover Cleveland, 4th cous 2x rem. Lucretia Garfield, wife of US pres James Garfield, 5th cous. Geoffrey Chaucer, author, 12th g g/father. Samuel Adams, helped to organize the Boston Tea Party, 3rd cous 3x rem. Mamie Eisenhower, wife of US pres Dwigth Eisenhower, 5th cous 2x rem. Franklin Pierce, US pres, 6th cous. Oliver Holmes, author, 6th cous. Daniel Wesson, gun maker, 6th cous 1x rem. Julia Child, US gourmet chef, 5th cous 3x rem. John Hancock, signed Declaration of Independance, 5th cous 3x rem. Emily Dickenson, US poet, 6th cous 1x rem. Edward Tilley, sailed on the Mayflower, 3rd cous 7x rem. Vina Fay Ray, actress, 5th cous 4x rem. Lou Henry Hoover, wife of US pres Herbert C Hoover, 6th cous 2x rem. Richard Bedford Bennett, first Canadian PM to become a member of the House of Lords, 6th cous 2x rem. Robert H Goddard, father of the modern rocket, 7th cous 1x rem. Florence Harding, wife of US pres Warren G Harding, 6th cous 3x rem. Norman Rockwell, artist, 6th cous 3x rem. Bette Davis, actress, 6th cous 3x rem. Katherine Hepburn, actress, 6th cous 3x rem. William Howard Taft, 27th US pres, 7th cous 1x rem, Laurence Olivier, actor, 6th cous 4x rem. LM Montgomery, authoress, 7th cous 2x rem. Gregory Peck, actor, 6th cous 4x rem. QUEEN ELIZABETH II, our own Queen, 7th cous 2x rem. Ida Saxon Mckinley, wife of US pres William McKinley, 6th cous 4x rem. Robert Louis Stevenson, poet and novelist, 8th cous 1x rem. Caesar Rodney, signed the Declaration of Independence, 6th cous 5 x rem. Alfred Tennyson, poet, 6th cous 6x rem.
Are you still with me? This feature only seems to work for US names and not UK.
On my paternal mothers side, the Coopers are linked to the Scammel (lorry) family and the Robinson's to the Dashwood (architect and builder) family on the Isle of Wight. There's more to come on the Robinson's when time allows to investigate more.

Keith

spison
25-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Apart from two men who were transported (infamous rather than famous) my only claim to fame to date is that my great grandmother's brother was 'Billy' McCall, Australian Heavyweight boxing champion of 1901. :clap:
Jane

keith.robinson
26-03-2010, 7:31 AM
Forgot to add that Queen Elizabeth I was the 9th g g/mother of Abigail Dyer.

Keith

Dargie
26-03-2010, 7:49 AM
My comedy actor daughter was amazed to find out that her 7x great grandfather was the 4x great granfather of Charlie CHAPLIN.

My Uncle's Aunt ,Mary McPhee was the person who originally sang and translated the beautiful song "Erisay Love Lilt" from gaelic into English. Unfortunately she gets little credit.

That's it folks..........but I do love my ag labourers and wheelwrights. Good people.|hug|
Marj.

keith.robinson
26-03-2010, 8:54 AM
We wouldn't be here without them.

Keith

AdrianKing
26-03-2010, 8:07 PM
I'm stuck over in Tennessee, US.
You guys really crack me up.
Appreciate, recognise the humour after
30 years in England.

Mutley
26-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the forum AdrianKing.|wave|

When you travel back in time, in that genealogical machine you need to wear the humour hat. Without it, there are occasions when we could cry ourselves to sleep over the things we find out about our ancestors.

But this thread is about excitement....
Will a fortune telling, black, pygmy (not confirmed yet but certainly tiny) exotic dancer named Smith that lived in a forest count?
Well, I thought she was exciting and I am quite happy to claim her!

RobinC
10-04-2010, 12:29 PM
The only bit of *fame* is in my husband's family tree! My lot were all *ordinary* :D

Erasmus Welby's (born 1815) Gt.Gt. Uncle was Erasmus Darwin, who was the Grandfather of Charles Robert Darwin. This makes Erasmus Welby (who was named after his Gt.Gt. Uncle) the second Cousin once removed of Charles Robert Darwin ....... very remote connection I know, but it's nice to have * a bit of posh*! ;)

I've also found a link to Charles Darwin, but through the marriage of one of my ancestors who married one of his. The link is very distant and involves 4 marriages throughout the family!

Mitch in Notts
11-04-2010, 10:45 AM
As its the day after the Grand National I claim a famous jockey! And no I didn`t win anything as usual.
George Thomas Parfrement who won the National in 1909 on Lutteur III as Georges Parfrement must be related to our tree somehow, as there are only two lines of this surname in the UK (though George was actually born in France to an English father & French mother).

Mitch

gcherry
26-05-2010, 1:38 AM
OK guys, just found this thread, interesting stories.

My turn,

my 6g grandfather Thomas Chipp(1754-1842) was a marine onboard "HMS Friendship" which was part of the first fleet arriving in Australian on the 26th January 1788
&
my 6g grandmother Jane Langley(1761-1836) who married him was a convict in the same fleet onboard "Lady Penhryn"

They married in Norfolk Island in November 1791, there daughter Sophia Chipp(1803-1850), born in Sydney in 1803 is my 5g grandmother

regards
Glen

Colin Rowledge
26-05-2010, 2:22 AM
As a newcomer to this tread, I realize I have spread myself too thin by researching the "wrong-uns" i.e the good guys, Maybe I should just draw a chart of a branch, any branck, in my tree, throw a dart and who it hits I research back to the Norman times.

So far on the "infamy' line is one bigamist [1 yaer hard labour], a chap who was fined 10 shillings for selling watered down whiskey and a rum-runner who was shot twice in one convoy of liquor trucks from Canada to the US., but still made it to his destination, only to be met by the 'fed's'. He left the truck and ran. The load was seized, his boss paid for treating said rellie, he was 'welcomed back' by 2 guys who prmptly knee-capped him. For the rest of his life he walked with 2 canes.

Jane Elderfield
26-05-2010, 6:09 AM
Here's my tale:

My husband descends from a large and widespread American family, and he receives their family history magazine. One of the issues featured an ancestor, one Jonathan Fayerbankes, from Massachusetts.

It occurred to me that we have a neighbour, a tough old single lady with a New England accent, whose surname was similar. I phoned her up and asked if she was related.

"Yes, I'm a direct descendant, and I have a book of his descendants."

"My husband is also a descendant, so that makes you cousins!"

"Yeah. Well, just don't get too proud about it, because George Bush is one too."

Blues Mark
26-05-2010, 7:19 PM
my grandfather William Turton, came out of the Royal Flying Corps in 1918, returned home to the Black country and ended up going with a chap called Frank Frederickson (a canadian pilot who had an olympic medal for ice hockey and went on to be famous in the Canadian ice hockey world) to put on exhibition flying sessions in Iceland in 1920. I have photocopies of a chapter from a book on the history of Icelandic flying which is all about Bill Turton and Frank Frederickson, unfortunately it is written in Icelandic and i have so far been unable to get it translated.

Barnzzz
26-05-2010, 9:19 PM
This is a very tenuous 'exciting genealogical find'!

I've been looking at the Westacott family and have found that in 1901 they lived at 4 Dean Lane in Bristol. When I went to look at their house, I found that the house next door had a blue plaque saying that Russ Conway had lived there. Told you it was tenuous...............

(For anyone who's never heard of Russ Conway, he was a popular music pianist in the late 50s and 60s.)

Sue

ash33au
11-06-2010, 1:33 PM
Not sure if I've mentioned it in this thread before but my direct ancestor is Frederick I, Holy Roman Emperor and through a long winded process of royals marrying other royals etc etc etc I am related to essentially every european royal family and have also discovered that I am in fact a first cousin 24 times removed to the current Queen Elizabeth II. I wonder what my number in line to throne is... no doubt somewhere around 937,865 hahaha

Don't get me wrong though, it wasn't my royal blood that made me what I am today though... I am a journalist and also a writer (yes they are different) and two of my great grand uncles started up one of the Newspapers still running over a hundred years later here in my neck of the woods. Their uncle John Inglis was from all accounts a famous Scottish poet and their brother Thomas (aka Scot Inglis) was a world famous stage actor and playwright in the late 19th century. Still, I love my farmers, blacksmiths, bakers, motor mechanics, painters, carpenters and yeoman just the same.

Still no dressmakers though... hahahaha

Mr.Potter
11-06-2010, 2:55 PM
Although my family originated in Clerkenwell, we are not related (as far as I know!) to Madam Cresswell, a famous Courtesan who was a contemporary of the Lady Castlemaine. I have six broadsheets relating to Madam Cresswell and the Lady Castlemaine - the first of which is "The Poor Whores Petition" and referred to her problems with the London Apprentices. I would be interested to learn more about this lady and her origins. I know she lived - and died - in Clerkenwell, but have not been able to discover her forename(s). The broadsheets are in Word format and I will be pleased to share with anyone interested in this lady. Charles.

shaygriff
11-06-2010, 4:43 PM
a thief who got deported to Australia in 1839.

Dave
Me too. 10 years for "stealing a plated cup" in 1839. Maybe they shared a cabin :)

Dizzy600
11-06-2010, 7:45 PM
What fascinating connections! My Great Grandfather was Harold Adrian Walden who played for England in the 1912 Olympics in Sweden. They won the Gold Medal and still to this day Harold is the fourth highest goal scorer at an Olympics. Where or where is his Gold Medal? I would love to see it. After football he went on the stage as a Music Hall Artiste/Comedian and travelled the world. He starred in a 1920's film called 'The Winning Goal' unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a copy of it that has survived. He was also in 'The Cup-Tie Wedding' in 1948. He wrote songs and I have been lucky enough to get a old 78rpm of his song 'Only Me Knows Why'.
My mum died in the early 1990's and didn't know that she had such a famous grandfather.... She would have been thrilled!
Becasue a sketch from the second film was put on Y..T..e I was able to find my grandfather's borthers family which has been brilliant. One stange concindence is that I lived only a couple of suburbs away from my second cousin once removed in Oz in the 90's and it wasn't until I was living in England that we found each other!

spison
11-06-2010, 9:46 PM
:taz: (I just had to include Taz for this.) A new find from within the last fortnight. Although I've known of this man's existence and connection for years I've never taken the time to look at him - mainly because of his name. He's yet another convict on my children's (my husband's) side. John Davis was an early NSW or Tasmanian transportee born about 1776. He was free by 1822 when he married Mary Brown in Hobart Town, VDL. He had time to father my mother-in-law's great-grandmother and then he was involved in a sheep steeling incident. The severity of this crime at the time was such that he was EXECUTED by hanging on the 18th September 1826. This was an exciting find for me but sadly not for him or his family. Mary and the 4 children (only two are known) ended up in a female factory awaiting a 'charitable benefactor'. I've tagged the articles relevant to him on the NLA Trove.
Jane

dar tyson
17-11-2010, 8:54 AM
enewbie here,I have a edward tyson b 1876 ludford eng married in spalding in 1898 to elizabeth jane cowell,any connection?
thanks in advance

dar tyson

Zen Rabbit
17-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Unproven but my maternal great-greats were related to the "Rugely Poisoner" who I understand was Britains first serial killer. I say unproven but one of his portaits simply looks like my brother in fancy dress. Uncanny

Interesting that. I assume you are refering to Dr William Palmer, the Rugeley poisoner. My Great Great great gradfather was chief warder of Stafford Gaol where he was taken to be executed. An account of his arrest from first hand is given in "Police Experiences" by Thomas Woollaston a police officer who served at Stafford.

Keith Goodway
18-11-2010, 11:38 AM
And his death mask is in the William Salt Library in Stafford !

salbex
18-11-2010, 8:32 PM
a friend of mine is related somehow to florence nightingale x

alliejaye
18-11-2010, 9:36 PM
Engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel was my 3xgreat grandfathers first cousin, 4 and 5x great grandfathers watchmakers, Thomas Mudge is also related by marriage. Kathy Lette is distant cousin,we have the same 4xgreat grandparents, which means Geoffrey Robertson is related by marriage also Lol.

Sandyhall
19-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi
My Mum's side of the family are related to The Dandridge Family by marriage (one of them married a Dandridge)
Who are they you might say!!!!
Well Martha Dandridge was one of the First Ladies of America - the wife of George Washington "President of America" and from Sulgrave Manor in Northamptonshire.
Another Dandridge family member was sent out to Australia after the agricaulture uprisings in England.

Dad's side we have a murderer who got away with drowning his wife, then abandoned his daughters to the workhouse.
I also found another part of the Family with a Daughter in the Lunatic Asylum who then has a Daughter while in there, who then spends her life in the Asylum. The rest of the family go to America and leave them there forgotton.

Sandy

I don't like some of my rellies much

PS We have just lost my mum's sister my Aunty Joan but on the good side I've found my dad's brother's (died a long time ago) Wife and Daughter alive in America, I now have a new Aunty and Cousin and I am 63 years old

GRHughes
20-11-2010, 11:34 AM
The brother of my 4xgreat grandfather was Sir Joseph Paxton who was a landscape gardener, engineer and then MP. He also designed Crystal Palace for the Great Exhibition of 1851. Coincidentally, sitting on the committee overseeing construction was Isambard Kingdom Brunel, which means my relative most likely would have been conversing with the relative of alliejaye (post above) 160 years ago! Small world :P

haveabet
31-07-2011, 6:53 AM
not sure how famous but my 2nd great grandfather was an architect who is mentioned in Occupation Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 23 Griffith, William Pettit.
he also has a room named after him in the rookery hotel, london, mind this is no big deal as a prostitute also has a room named after her.
still doing reasearch on this side of the family, but he also had a brother, charles higman griffith who was a reverend at stratfield turgis and done a lot of experimenting on how best to measure air temperature, so i guess he might be sort of famous too

Carole40
31-07-2011, 4:44 PM
My 3x Great Grandfather, Joseph Twigg, 1784, Pershore, Worcs. Enlisted in the 39th Foot, & served for 20yrs & 236 days. He received , as a Chelsea Penshioner, a few shillings a month. He did not stay at the famous Hospital, but still had his pension. This was unique for the time. His Medals are kept at the "Keep Musium" in Dorset.

Joseph's uncle, William, enlisted in the Royal Wagon Train, at 19yrs of age, he saw lots of action, and I have a list of all engagements.

My 1st cousin 4 x removed, James Twigg, 1826, went to Australia, and worked as a Fencer/Bushman. His brother, George, was Transported to Australia, age 21yrs. He was convicted of "Robbery in Company". I have the Convict Musters, etc, and he is listed aboard the ship "Tory" being taken to Tasmania.

Hope this was of interest,

Carole.

lynncrest94
11-08-2011, 10:51 AM
What a brilliant thread! I'm a newbie but just have to say that the most famous connection I have found is to one John Frederick Herring, painter of Dutch origin living in Camberwell around 1840's. He guaranteed the cost of my Gt Gt Gt Grandmother's stay in Bedlam!
Great stuff.

Spencer
12-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Dr George Sexton was a scion of a notable Scottish family who left England after the Forty-Five for Rome but who regained a very discreet presence at some point in England at Norfolk. Dr George Sexton was educated at Giessen in Prussia at some point and became involved with academic theologians and the Vatican in Rome. Professor Timothy Larsen has analysed part of his career as an academic theologian. We found the case interesting as another example of the 'Jacobite diaspora' of Professor Bruce Lenman. I hope that this answers your question.

Spencer
12-05-2012, 11:15 AM

best wishes
Clare

George Sexton
There are various George Sextons and a number were doctors. The other Dr George Sexton was a scion of a notable Scottish family who left England after the Forty-Five for Rome but who regained a very discreet presence at some point in England at Norfolk with amended identities. Dr George Sexton was educated at Giessen in Prussia at some point and became involved with academic theologians and the Vatican in Rome. Professor Timothy Larsen has analysed part of his career as an academic theologian. We found the case interesting as another example of the 'Jacobite diaspora' of Professor Bruce Lenman.

Spencer
13-05-2012, 6:36 PM
DR GEORGE SEXTON

Professor Larsen's research notes that Dr George Sexton was awarded a Ph.D from the University of Giessen in Prussia in September 1858 and it seems that the MD was also from Giessen. (Professor Timothy Larsen, 'Crisis of Doubt' OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS 2006. p. 199).

Professor Larsen also comments in a more recent piece: 'George Sexton was the only atheist leader in nineteenth-century Britain with an earned doctorate--although he was English, his PhD was from the venerable University of Giessen in Germany. As a man of science, he was a Fellow of a whole range of elite, learned institutions including the Royal Anthropological Institute, the Zoological Society, and the Royal Geographical Society. (2) As an atheist, perhaps George Sexton's most important scientific publication was a work drawing on Charles Darwin's thought entitled The Antiquity of the Human Race (1871)'. (Professor Timothy Larsen, 'War is over, if you want it' AMERICAN SCIENTIFIC Publication 2008)

David150
13-05-2012, 7:35 PM
Thanks, I agree that Professor Larsen's work is interesting. My interest from a church history and academic POV is the contribution made by Dr George Sexton to the study of the Universality of Religion. Professor Larsen refers to Dr Sexton's interest in the concept of Universality of Religion in his 'Crisis of Doubt' p. 219 (OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS 2006). In particular, the re-engineering of 'Doubt' at that time in the face of revolution, monarchical struggle and scientific development across Europe both intrigued and troubled the established church in Rome. This forms part of the dialogue between Sexton and Cesilli and others (St Scholastica's Library, Rome). Professor Timothy Larsen refers to sections of Dr Sexton's analysis and wide academic conversation partners (Ibid. p. 220 OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS 2006) and refers to one of Dr George Sexton's published works - 'Theistic Problems' p. 102 (London: HODDER & STOUGHTON 1880).

It seems that at points in history the established church could have reacted and developed in a particular way - 'co-operation above conflict' or a 'Universal approach'. Dr George Sexton's private and published work sits at a historic crossroads and embraces elements of an academic conversation at various times with those of diverse interests including Jacobites, Darwin, Marx and Rome. In my view the study of the reaction of the established churches to the suggestion of a 'Universal' approach provides pointers to the nature of current and future co-operations.

ruthvbailey
16-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Hi I came across information on my uncle who went by the name of william henry phillips the same as my grandfather. I knew my grandfather did a bit of boxing but found out my uncle had a british boxing licence lodged in London with a photograph. I located a boxing site where I was able to get hold of various old newspaper cuttings and found that my uncle fought in 1938 both before and after the war and he actually fought the brother of Johnny farr the british champion. Unfortunately my uncle is deceased but his children who live in canada now were overwhelmed by the information. It was such a surprise.

Megan Roberts
16-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Now here's the thing she was called Gladys May JONES when she was born and in the 1901 census but I cannot find the correct birth certificate for her - over 30 quid spent so far - and I have this vague memory of my father saying that he had discovered that she was adopted although he never said how he knew this.

If you have a reasonable idea of when and where she was born, you could try searching on her first name only - Ancestry will let you do this, but FMP will not. I had a great aunt Blodwen Roberts who was "adopted" after being orphaned in 1906, and her brother Griffith Lloyed was "adopted" by another family. In the 1911 census, Griffith is shown as Griffith Roberts living with a family called Williams, and Blodwen is now "Blodwen Mair Jones". As there were no formal adoptions before the mid 1920s there were no hard and fast rules about names.

Colin Rowledge
16-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Hi I came across information on my uncle who went by the name of william henry phillips the same as my grandfather. I knew my grandfather did a bit of boxing but found out my uncle had a british boxing licence lodged in London with a photograph. I located a boxing site where I was able to get hold of various old newspaper cuttings and found that my uncle fought in 1938 both before and after the war and he actually fought the brother of Johnny farr the british champion. Unfortunately my uncle is deceased but his children who live in canada now were overwhelmed by the information. It was such a surprise.

I would like to know more about the boxing site you found. My dad fought as an amateur prior to W.W.2 and during the war won several bouts amongst his comrades in arms. He also played football [goal-keeper] and cross country runner. During his time, he also was a P-T Instructor.

Sadly my dad passed away in 2011 [at age 92]. I have his service records from W.W.2 but no details of the 'sporting life' he led.

If you don't want to post to this thread, may I suggest you send me a private message

Bill King
05-07-2012, 4:27 AM
Thomas Hilliker (Helliker) 'The Trowbridge Martyr.
I was quite surprised to find that a relative had been hanged (although having a relative hanged is quite usual in many family trees I suspect) Thomas was accused of burning down a factory and threatening the manager with a gun. He was hanged on 22 March 1803, his 19th birthday. There is some doubt about his guilt but the Trade Unions believe that he was innocent. A service is held each year at his tomb in Trowbridge, Wiltshire. My connection to him on the tree is GGGGG'fathers brothers son. Not sure how to show that any clearer. I would love to read his trial transcript but that may be too big a challenge for me in Australia.

Megan Roberts
05-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Bill
I had a look in the newspapers on-line (via my library) and there are some articles about him, including the report of his execution which is in the "births, marriages and deaths" section! There is also a John Hilliker mentioned. If you would like copies send me a PM with your email.

spison
05-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Thomas Hilliker (Helliker) 'The Trowbridge Martyr. I would love to read his trial transcript but that may be too big a challenge for me in Australia.

Bill
I had a look in the newspapers on-line (via my library) and there are some articles about him, including the report of his execution which is in the "births, marriages and deaths" section! There is also a John Hilliker mentioned.

Bill,
If you join the State Library of NSW you can have free access to the 19th Century British Newspapers from home. As you're in Sydney you could get a card very quickly if you went to collect it rather than wait for it to be posted. I don't know whether the site and paper mentioned by Megan is on that particular site but she may let you know.
Jane

Bill King
06-07-2012, 1:44 AM
Many thanks for your kind offer. I see that Jane has advised me to seek the information through the State Library of NSW.
I'm not sure how to do that but will certainly look into it for future information.
But for now I would be delighted to receive the information 'on line' from you.
As I am new to this forum, I am not sure how to send a private email to you with my email address included.
Regards, Bill

Bill King
06-07-2012, 2:02 AM
Thank you for that information Jane. I will follow up on your advice and see how to go about joining the State Library shortly.
Nice to be in touch with someone just up the road from me!
Regards
Bill

Bill King
06-07-2012, 3:13 AM
Megan, I didn't respond to your mention of John Hilliker. I don't have any information on John, he could have been a sibling of Thomas. The info that I do have is that Thomas was the son of Thomas c1745-1819 and Elizabeth Ebsworth c1749-1831.
Regards
Bill

spison
06-07-2012, 9:45 PM
Nice to be in touch with someone just up the road from me! Regards Bill

Nice to 'meet' you Bill. A quick search for join the state library of NSW will get you what you want to know. They're also accessible through the NLA with a card and these can be posted (or you can drive there - It's only three hours away). I have library cards for both as the resources available with a card from home are just amazing.

Jane

Mallyjam
21-07-2012, 1:49 AM
Such an interesting thread and thanks Jane for your heads up on the NSW State Library. Had no idea I could access UK newspapers that way. I do know they hold some local histories I am keen to have a look at.

I logged in here this morning hoping there might be some links to a famous rellie of mine and stumbled on this thread. Many more interesting posts here than mine but have just come across a fellow who married into my mother's family and happens to be the grandson of a Danish Baron. Seems he was notable in more ways than one - a jurist as well as a political scientist who worried about the fallout from the French revolution and the Jacobin terrorists - how it might drive people back to despotism.

Happens many of my rellies were convicts that became Australian 'royals' - thrived and became upright citizens in the colony of New South Wales. One came over on the Neptune with the rest of the Second Fleet. The master was the notorious Captain Traill whose infamous treatment of convicts aboard landed him before the Admiralty Court. But they had to prosecute him privately. There was no public prosecution. They let him get away with it. The tale is so horrific I doubt you could read it and not be moved.

Gala crowds gathered on Sydney Cove On a frigid June day in 1790 to greet the Ships of the Second Fleet - the first to enter the Heads for more than two years. They were intrigued by the strange behaviour of one, the transport Neptune. From her decks as she tacked up harbour, the crew kept tossing white objects overboard. Curiosity turned to horror as the truth dawned. The "objects" now bobbing in the harbour were the emaciated remains of starved, tortured and diseased convicts who had perished on the voyage. Like a ghost ship, the Neptune dropped anchor and began unloading men in cargo hoists because they were too weak to walk --- ending one of the blackest chapters in the history of convict transportation.

Sydney Daily Mirror May 21, 1954 page 17

Becksome
22-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Hi there,

'Apparantly' when you get back 16 generation you should find that "we are all related" so someone told me..Not found my yet!

Clicked reply on post dated 03-01-2006 from Kazbutler and it ended up on the last page, makes no sense now..

Newbie just looking round...happy searching to all of us

Coromandel
23-07-2012, 7:28 AM
Hi Becksome and welcome to the forum

Clicked reply on post dated 03-01-2006 from Kazbutler and it ended up on the last page, makes no sense now..

As you've discovered, replies always get posted at the end of the thread. If you want to comment on a point in a post earlier in the thread, you can use the 'Reply with Quote' option instead. By default the whole message is quoted but you can edit it down: just make sure you leave the QUOTE tag at the beginning and /QUOTE at the end (in square brackets).

P.S. or just refer to the individual post, as you did in your edit.:)

Newbie just looking round...happy searching to all of us

Yes, happy searching!

emeraldwitch
26-01-2014, 9:59 AM
I've been a little lucky. While researching my dad's Rockwell line I discovered Geoffrey Chaucer is my 16x great-uncle. My husband's 16x great-grandfather was John Seton, 4th Earl of Seton, from Seton, East Lothian, Scotland. Finding interesting people is always fun but the ordinary folks have interesting stories too. I like my American pioneers. 😊

bettyespana
18-02-2014, 8:07 PM
After searching for my Gt Grandparents marriage(maternal) I had no success.Reason being it turned out that Gt Grandmother had run off with her step-father. Hence no marriage.They eventually had 7 children the eldest being my Grandmother!!
I also found on my paternal side that I am part of the original Earl of Caithness line(passed to a cousin due to a disputed marriage which has since been proved) which leads back to Margaret Tudor & also John Baliol who apparently was my 21st Gt Grandfather

macwil
03-09-2017, 2:40 PM
No one really in/famous in my trees, mainly Ag. Lab and Miners, although there is a Stonemason with his own quarry, also a Farmer/Cotton Factory owner. And a tentative link to 'Uncle Bill' toffees.(not confirmed)

The best bit is coincidence, my father was Harold Wilson, no not that one, at one time we lived next to Edward Heath, no not that one either. It caused some amusement at election time and was mentioned in the local press. (For the youngsters and overseas members they were both Prime Ministers of UK)

GerryOhkami
03-02-2018, 8:16 PM
On tracing my great uncle Joseph McLaughlin, b.7th Nov 1890, Kilwinning, Scotland, I came across a handwritten US Army draft note 1917, a Joseph from Killlinning, 1891, (arithmetic was wrong), Army Serial number 1210224. Further, I found in Flemish that he was killed 16th august 1918, buried in the only US WW1 cemetery in Europe with 367 comrades, Waregem, Belgium. Leaping forward the US Army gave me copies of family correspondence US and Scotland, copy of dog tags, then welcomed me as the first family member to stand at his grave for near 100 years – a thought provoking experience. With permission I posted a Scottish flag at his cross. He’d been posthumously awarded the Purple Heart. Joseph’s story in the book “The Soldiers of the Flanders Field American Military Cemetery” Christopher Sims and Patrick Lernout 2017.

Sandyhall
03-02-2018, 9:32 PM
My Hicks family from Drayton St Leonard, Oxfordshire, England is connected to the Dandridge Family connected to George Washington his wife was a Dandridge. It's such a long time ago that I found this out.

George Washington
1732–1799
BIRTH 22 FEB 1732
DEATH 14 DEC 1799 • MT Vernon
husband of 4th cousin 1 x removed of wife

Martha Dandridge
1731–1763
BIRTH 4 APR 1731 • Chestnut Grove, New Kent, Virginia, USA
DEATH 25 SEP 1763 • Chestnut Grove, New Kent, Virginia, USA
4th cousin 1 x removed of wife