PDA

View Full Version : Wife's details on Marriage cert.

Yvonnesuz
02-01-2006, 4:18 PM
I have the marriage certificate of my g.g.grandfather
Robert Ravenscroft m. Mary Aldridge 3rd July 1866 at St Peters Church, Stoke upon Trent. Mary's father given as John Aldridge.
All details of Robert agree with everything I know. However!!!!!!

I also hold three of his childrens birth certificates and on all they show
Mary Ravenscroft formerly JONES.
First child Alfred born March 1868 born Oulton, Stone.
George born June 1874 born Old Road, Stone.
Mary born July1878 born Old Road, Stone.

I am unable to find any other marriage for Robert. He was 21 at marriage and a batchelor.

My question is - could details on marriage cert have been copied wrongly?

I have checked 1861 census and there is a Mary Jones c1848 living at Meaford & Oulton (father John) but on 1871 she is not living at home!
That said there is also on 1851 census a Mary Aldridge c1846 living Walsall Wood with father John, but not on any other census after that.

Advice appreciated on where best to double check marriage details of Robert.

Geoffers
02-01-2006, 5:16 PM
I have the marriage certificate of my g.g.grandfather
Robert Ravenscroft m. Mary Aldridge 3rd July 1866 at St Peters Church, Stoke upon Trent. Mary's father given as John Aldridge.
All details of Robert agree with everything I know.
I take it that the marriage certificate shows Mary Aldridge as a spinster?

It is possible that Mary was JONES alias ALDRIDGE - you may have to check back to 1851 census returns and parish registers to try and prove/disprove this.

In the GRO deaths index are there any deaths of Mary Ravenscroft in roughly the area you miht expect in the period 1866-1868? And are there then any subsequent marriages of Robert RAVENSCROFT?

My question is - could details on marriage cert have been copied wrongly?
You could ask the issuing office to double-check. If the marriage was in a church, my inclination would be to check the marriage register personally and then you'd know for sure.

Geoffers

Yvonnesuz
02-01-2006, 5:47 PM
Mary Aldridge was a spinster.
Have looked for a death of Mary Ravenscroft in time scale 1866 - 1868 but no luck.
There is a marriage for a Robert Ravenscroft but if memory serves me correct it may have been to an Eliza in 1878.
There was another Robert Ravenscroft around at the time apparently
but the marriage cert I have is definitely my relation
Looks like a trip to Staffordshire!!!
Have also looked for a marriage for Mary Aldridge to a Jones but no luck there also.

Thanks anyway
Yvonnesuz

Geoffers
02-01-2006, 5:55 PM
Have looked for a death of Mary Ravenscroft in time scale 1866 - 1868 but no luck.
Sorry if you've thought of this, but have you tried possible variant spellings of Ravenscroft?

There is a marriage for a Robert Ravenscroft but if memory serves me correct it may have been to an Eliza in 1878.
Never dismiss a different forename, she could easily have been Mary Eliza, but just known as Eliza at the time. (A 2xgt grandfather of mine was George Robert. If I'd only look under the name George, I'd have missed his marriage under the name Robert, which he preferred then - to confuse things, he later just used George)

Geoffers

Yvonnesuz
02-01-2006, 6:43 PM
Geoffers

Yes, have checked various spellings of Ravenscroft.

Have rechecked marriage in 1878, Robert Ravenscroft and Eliza Weaver only two on page, March qtr reckon it must be the other Robert as
the 1871, 1881, 1891 & 1901 census shows Robert and Mary still living and residing in Old Stone Road, Stone.

Mary on the census is always given Stone as her birth place. Mary Aldridge and her family have always given Walsall Wood,Staffordshire on the 61,71,81,91 census.

I think the only way to go is as you suggest and personally check the marriage register and hope that it gives me the answer that I would like, ie Robert and Mary JONES.

Meant to post as well that Mary Jones and her family lived in Old Road, Stone 1851 and 1871 census Her brother was a cordwainer like Robert. There are alot of coincidences -----perhaps I am looking too far!

Yvonne

Wirral
02-01-2006, 7:48 PM
Have you checked the complete GRO index for the marriage, or just that on freebmd.org.uk & Ancestry.co.uk ? The last 2 (which are actually the same) are not complete.

Sharron
02-01-2006, 7:52 PM
Hi Alison,

Did you get the car???:)

Yvonnesuz
03-01-2006, 9:46 PM
Wirral

Have searched for marriage on Family Relatives from 1864 to 1880.
Also looked for a Mary jones marriage from 1866 to 1880

Yvonne

Who is hijacking this thread? Who is Sharon and who is Alison!!!!

Wirral
03-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Hi YvonneRunning out of ideas now! Sorry if you have already tried these.
Do you have all the later censuses of the family, in the hope that a relative of Mary Aldridge/Jones may be living with the family or near them?
Have you tried the trade directories for the area? With the family being cordwainers, you might find a couple of the families living close together.
There's always bigamy!|blush|

(By the way, I am Alison. I think Sharron must have mixed up her posts :o ).