PDA

View Full Version : SANGUIN Family or SANGWIN

BLONDEL François
29-12-2005, 1:15 PM
Good morning,

I am François BLONDEL and I'm french.
For several years, we have made research on a family SANGUIN in France. We go up until 1400 in Paris but also in several places in France. It was a rare name in France.

I had found that there was SANGUIN families in Italy (plain of Po) and now I find it in England (DEVON and CORNWALL).
I was a rare family name in England in the middle age.

I search somebody who have found this name.

Thank you very much

royston
31-12-2005, 2:11 PM
Hello Francois,
Your message intrigues me a little.
There is quite a large family worldwide of Angwins that originated in Cornwall.
The earliest being C1450. Could there be some connection between these 2 families ?.
I have a large gedcom of the family if it is any use to you.
Roy

Geoffers
31-12-2005, 3:19 PM
I had found that there was SANGUIN families in Italy (plain of Po) and now I find it in England (DEVON and CORNWALL).
I was a rare family name in England in the middle age.The 1881 census shows 64 people with the surname, all but a couple are from Cornwall, Devon or the Channel Islands. So it would not surprise me if the name had spread from maniland Europe, either through trade or religious persecution.

There is quite a large family worldwide of Angwins that originated in Cornwall.['tis a long time since I studied French or Latin so I'd gladly apologise if wrong, but I think that sanguine derives from Old French and ultimately Latin 'sanguineus' meaning 'blood-red' - whereas 'anguine' comes from Latin 'anguis' meaning 'snake'. I think therefore that the names may not be connected - any good Latin scholars out there who can confirm/correct this?

Geoffers

lucaduca
20-02-2008, 9:20 AM
Hello Francois,
Your message intrigues me a little.
There is quite a large family worldwide of Angwins that originated in Cornwall.
The earliest being C1450. Could there be some connection between these 2 families ?.
I have a large gedcom of the family if it is any use to you.
Roy

Royston would you know of this sangwin family, john sangwin married mary
gruzelier 26/05/1783 they had quite a few children one being mary smith
sangwin born 31/08/1788 in stoke damerel , she married John Warren in east stonehouse in 1814, regards Lucaduca

Peter_uk_can
20-02-2008, 4:54 PM
My memory tells me that the name Sanguin is somewhere in the Chaboyer genealogy archives. This would place them in Canada and I will report back when I find it.

|book2|

Charles Rignall
06-03-2008, 2:03 PM
I have William Sangwin marrying Caroline Ann Buck on Dec. 25, 1844, St. Pancras, London. I have a note (unverified) that William's father was also called William.

Caroline Ann Buck Sangwin died 25 Sep. 1879 at 81 West Parade, Spring Bank, Hull.

Regards,

Charlie Rignall