PDA

View Full Version : Lonsdale House school, Bridgewater

Lenore
27-12-2005, 2:45 AM
Hello folks,

I'm following up a reference I found in an online transcription of the Bridgewater directory for 1874-75 to a James Russell who had a "gentlemen's school", Lonsdale House.

I've seen a website describing education in Bridgewater in the 19th and 20th Centuries, but Lonsdale house was not included.

If anyone has any books on their bookshelf which might mention Lonsdale House in it, I'd be grateful for any further information about it - when it operated, who operated it before and after Russell, who went to it, etc.

With thanks,

Lenore Frost
Essendon, Vic, Australia

Dennis Harker
27-12-2005, 8:07 PM
Lenore,

I live not too far away from Bridgwater but unfortunately do not have any info on this school. However, I note that you are mis-spelling the name of Bridgwater (it does not have an 'e' in it). I have tried searching on Google, using the correct spelling and have come up with numerous web links to this school. You may wish to try again using Bridgwater and, hopefully, come up with more info.

Don't worry, this is a very common typo made by many, many people.

If you're still stuck after that I might be able to look and see if there is any local info available, but no promises.

Lenore
27-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Hi Dennis,

Thank you for your very useful pointer (though surely it is not me who perpetrated the original typo) :). Using the alternate spelling, I found three refs to the Lonsdale House school, two of which I'd seen (got there by accident, obviously!) and the third was new and very useful. This was regarding the probable partner Thomas Nicholas (depends how long James Russell was there).

Please don't go to any trouble on my account, I'm really just hoping someone would have a history book on their shelves which might help - it's amazing what you can find on the web though. These gleanings in themselves are very useful.

Thanks once again,

Lenore Frost
Essendon, Vic