PDA

View Full Version : Military mailing lists uk

robert8362
16-12-2005, 6:44 PM
Hi does anyone know of a mailing list for the British Millitary? in particular the 61st regiment of foot and the punjab uprising of 1848.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Robert

Chasing Caseys
16-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Hello Robert
I dont know of a mailing list but do have this
http://www.indian-cemeteries.org/regiment_index.asp .
May or may not come in handy for you.

Sorry my reply isnt more helpful.

Tracey

get2BJ
16-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Hi Robert,

I don't know of a mailing list as such, but the following web page gives a very good account of the 61st Regiment in India 1845-1860. It includes a list of the names of many servicemen who were killed or injured (including dates), in the Punjab Campaign and the Indian Mutiny. There are also a couple of personal accounts/recollections of the 61st, covering the period 1856-1868 which are very informative:

http://members.tripod.com/%7EGlosters/index-4.html

I hope you find this of some use.

Best Wishes

Brenda

PS. I do know of a services forum, but it is modern day stuff and they cut straight to the chase on that forum!

robert8362
17-12-2005, 8:22 AM
Hi , thanks to both Tracey & Brenda for the info.

Best Wishes

Robert

Geoffers
17-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Hi does anyone know of a mailing list for the British Millitary? in particular the 61st regiment of foot and the punjab uprising of 1848.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have a look at the publications of the Naval & Military press

They have a large list of books and may have somehting which covers your interest.

Geoffers

robert8362
17-12-2005, 5:12 PM
Thanks so much for that, l have visited the website and have found several useful titles :-)

Best Wishes,

Robert

Rod Neep
17-12-2005, 8:00 PM
Would you folks like to see a "Military" forum here on this system?

Regards
Rod

Neil Wilson
17-12-2005, 8:50 PM
Hi Rod
You are nearly there with the Boer, Napoleonic, WW1 & 2, but these are 'Wars' forums.
The question you must ask yourself is how the forum would be listed, by the 3 services Army, Navy and RAF, with sub-forums for regiments/units where keen individuals with an interest in them could be a Moderator for that sub-forum.
For example my interest would be 'RAF' - 'Ground Trades' - 'Police' which would set it aside from 'RAF' - 'Aircrew' - 'Bomb aimers' for example.
Any other views?
Neil
P.S. and a Merry Christmas to you all

Geoffers
17-12-2005, 9:26 PM
Would you folks like to see a "Military" forum here on this system?
I could see a use for a military forum which is non-specific - i.e. covering all of the services.

I think the historical forums for the Napoleonic wars, Boer War, WW1, WW2 cover the majority of periods for which questions might be asked. But it would be quite useful to have a place where folks could ask questions about particular regiments, ships, aicrcraft - whatever. Presumably a forum to be put under the heading 'Occupations'.

Such a forum would be an ideal location for this thread.

Geoffers

Rod Neep
18-12-2005, 12:23 AM
OK... separate to the "History" group, there is now a new separate forum for Military Ancestors here (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=348).

Rod

Neil Wilson
18-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Hi Rod
Could have done with flashing lights around it so I could find it easier:D
Seeing that most of the time I look at either the new posts or Derbyshire, it took me a while to navigate to it. Might have to spend some time nosying around to see what else I can find in the forums.
Cheers
Neil