PDA

View Full Version : Early Female Doctors

brad
08-12-2005, 4:06 PM
How does one research early female medical doctors? Where to look, etc? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated as most of my research has been in Europe until now.

Louisa Arendina Bosschart 1899-1973 (married 1932 to W.P.Allen), practised in Melbourne or around Victoria.

Dr. Shortal from Dublin, Ireland, born abt 1880- , whereabouts unknown. She had a brother who was a Dentist in South Africa.

Geoffers
08-12-2005, 10:10 PM
How does one research early female medical doctors? Where to look, etc? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated as most of my research has been in Europe until now. Louisa Arendina Bosschart 1899-1973 (married 1932 to W.P.Allen), practised in Melbourne or around Victoria.
I'd suggest the place to begin is the univeristy where she gained her qualification, to see if they still hold any useful records.

Geoffers

Lenore
27-12-2005, 10:01 AM
How does one research early female medical doctors? Where to look, etc? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated as most of my research has been in Europe until now.

Louisa Arendina Bosschart 1899-1973 (married 1932 to W.P.Allen), practised in Melbourne or around Victoria.

Dr. Shortal from Dublin, Ireland, born abt 1880- , whereabouts unknown. She had a brother who was a Dentist in South Africa.Hi Brad,

You might try the Victorian Medical Women's Society, this page has a bit about it.
http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/AWE0524b.htm

If Bosschart qualified in Melbourne it would be at the University of Melbourne, as there was no other at the time.

Both would be listed in Australian Medical Directories or Registers, but I don't know how you'd get hold of them in Holland. The last time I had a look at these they were in the Brownless Medical Library, part of University of Melbourne. They were on an upstairs shelf all jumbled up - but maybe they've been properly shelved now.

Join an Australian Mailing list for information about Dr Shortal - someone should be able to tell you where she was when she died, which will help. Australian records are state based, so you need to know or find out what state she was in.

Best wishes,

Lenore Frost
Essendon, Vic