PDA

View Full Version : Beckenham - Postlethwaite descendants

suzzie
07-12-2005, 12:27 AM
I have been for some time trying to find information on this family. |help|

William Thomas Beckenham b 1872 in Antrim, Larne, N Ireland to parents Lazarus and Mary née Gibbons. His brother Harry was born in Ulverston 1875, Harry was my great grandfather.
William married Elizabeth Postlethwaite b 1878 in Ulverston. They married in 1898 in Ulverston.
Two children arrived Beatrice Emily in 1906 and Robert Edward in 1910 both born in Ulverston.
On May 17th 1911 they arrived at Ellis Island, having sailed from Liverpool on the Carmania.
to be cont.......

suzzie
07-12-2005, 12:56 AM
...cont
The address on the manifest for arrivals is in Brooklyn, details difficult to see. I have been told that poor Robert died shortly after.
I have the 1930 C information. William and Elizabeth were living at Washington, Dutchess, New York. Roll 1421,P 9a, En Dis 88, Image 541.0.
Beatrice was a lodger in Manhattan, New York. Roll 1558, P 10b, En Dis 1191, Image 876.0.
Beatrice married a Harry Hart Smith ? when. They had two children Nancy Ann b in USA 19/09/1938. Jeffrey b 1941.
William died 8th Oct 1958. I have his obituary notice which tells me he was survived by his wife Elizabeth, daughter Beatrice Smith, White Plains and his grandson Jeffrey Smith of Oak Ridge, Tenn. He was a member of the Grace Episcopal Church Millbrook.
to be cont.....

suzzie
07-12-2005, 1:16 AM
....cont
It seems that after this the family lost touch. They must have made several trips back to the UK as I have many photographs of them with my grandmother. I did have a two week free trial with Ancestry for the USA, but could not find them for the 1920C, maybe they were in England.
I found a death for a Beatrice Smith b 1906, in Amenia, Dutchess NY.in Feb 1975. I would not know if this was my Beatrice though. I looked for Elizabeth, Robert and Nancy Ann but no luck.
I have found several Jeffrey Smiths in Tenn and have telephoned a few but to no avail. Not something I can make a habit of though.
Is there something similar to our General Register Office where we could obtain BMDs ?
I am sorry to be so long winded, the family were obviously close and I feel it is so sad that there is now no contact, that is assuming that there is family over there now !!
It would make my day to find something more about them and any information or directions on how to find out more would be very gratefully received.
Many thanks Sue.

DebbieAnn
08-12-2005, 12:05 AM
1920 census: Washington, Dutchess county, New York
Roll: T625_1097; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 86; Image: 1129.

Wm Beckingham, head, 47, immigrated 1911, b: Ireland (speaks Irish), both parents b: England, occ: painter and decorator
Elizabeth do., wife, 42, same, b: England, b.p. b: England
Beatrice E. do., daughter, 13, same, b: England, Ireland, England

From SSDI: Beatrice b: 26 Jan 1906, d: Feb 1975

Debbie

DebbieAnn
08-12-2005, 12:35 AM
This site may be of some help:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nydutche/

There is an interesting will for Elijah Smith of Amenia from the early-1800's...
And where to go to get death records, etc.

Do you know Jeffrey Smith's exact birth date?

Debbie

suzzie
08-12-2005, 1:23 AM
Hi Debbie,
I can't thank you enough for your trouble.
It is nice to have the 1920 information and the link is great. I am going to enjoy perusing that site.
It looks like I did find the right information for the death of Beatrice, if I can get the cert it may give me a few more clues.
I'm afraid I do not have the birth date for Jeffrey, I got 1941 from the back of a photograph of him. Among my grandmothers things there was a birth announcement card for Nancy Ann but not Jeffrey.
Best wishes,
Sue.