PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment

Sharron
04-12-2005, 5:32 PM
Just curiosity, really.

I'm just watching last Sunday's Never Forgotten, and Ian Hislop is in Leeds talking about the recruitment of the Leeds Pals regiments.

I noticed that the recruitment took place at Leeds Town Hall, which is a terrific looking building; very imposing and opulent.

Now, I know that recruitment of the Liverpool Pals regiments took place at St. George's Hall in Liverpool, another imposing and opulent building. If memory serves, the reason for building St. George's Hall was to display the wealth in Liverpool at the time. I'm sure you get the idea.

Now, I can't help but wonder if this is a coincidence, that the recruitment of these regiments took place at such buildings.

Terry Reeves
04-12-2005, 7:49 PM
Sharron

I think is was more a matter of practicalities. Aound a million men answered Kitcheners call by Dec 1914 The town hall was likely to be the biggest building around to accomodate the rush and of course were centrally located. Not forgetting of course that most of the Pals Battalions were raised for the War Office by the Mayors and Corporations of Britains industrial cities.

Terry Reeves

Sharron
04-12-2005, 7:57 PM
Hmmm. You're probably right. Strangely enough, though, St. George's Hall is not the Town Hall in Liverpool. But it is larger, and certainly a more beautiful building from the outside. I have never been inside Liverpool's Town Hall.

St. George's Hall is very similar to the building in Leeds that Ian Hislop was at, with the pillars and steps. I have a photograph in a book about the Liverpool Pals where Lord Derby, who recruited them, is standing at the front of St. George's Hall reviewing his troops. It gives me goosebumps every time I see it. The plateau and surrounding area is huge, and yet it is full of young men in uniform. Quite chilling.

Thaks for your response,

Sharron