PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan to Aus. 1854

Karyn Ogden
03-12-2005, 12:17 PM
I can only establish that my great grandmother married my great grandfather in Melbourne, Victoria. Her death certificate says she was born in 1841 in Gort, Cy. Clare but I can only find it in Galway, and that she had been in Victoria for 14 years which establishes that she came to Aus. c. 1854 at which time she would have been approx. 13 years old. Can anyone steer me to the appropriate records to search for the Flanagans (parents - John & Mary. He was a clothier & outfitter?) and how & where they could have arrived in Melbourne from Ireland. There is nothing substantial on the Shipping records here in Aus.
Thank you - Karyn |help|

ChristineR
03-12-2005, 1:04 PM
Karyn,

do you have your great grandmother's birthplace and parent's names from her marriage certificate? You would also get her mum's maiden name. Death certificates can be unreliable in this respect. A lot of Irish arrived in Victoria via South Australia.

Christine
Australia

Karyn Ogden
06-12-2005, 3:07 AM
Dear Christine,

Thank you for your reply. I don't have my ggrandparents marriage certificate because I can't find any record of their marriage other than on her death cert. She was Jane Flanagan died 10th April, 1868 aged 27 years. She had been in Victoria for 13 years and was born in Gort, County Clare, Ireland c. 1841. She married Thomas James Knowles in Richmond, Vic. in c.1862 aged 21 years. Her father's name was John Flanagan and her mother's name was Mary Flannigan or Hannigan. That's it! I can't get into the PRO at the moment so I'm really frustrated with this search. Hopefully, after Christmas things will improve?

Merry Christmas and thanks again Karyn

ChristineR
07-12-2005, 12:19 PM
A child's birth registration will also give the year and place of marriage, and may be more reliable than the death certificate. You really need to get the marriage certificate first to confirm her parents names, else you could be on a wild googe chase. Bear in mind the marriage may have taken place after birth of children - not impossible - I've had one widow have 5 children before she married the man, but then I think it was his dying wish as he died shortly afterwards! A marriage reg for her first marriage has never materialised so I dont think she ever married at all, despite saying when and where on all documents!

I have a friend with the Vic cds, I'll ask here to have a look for this marriage. She also has the South Australian one as well. I'll get back to you.

Christine

ChristineR
08-12-2005, 1:40 AM
Here you go Karyn - a year earlier than the death certifcate said. :D

Digger - Pioneer Index. Victoria 1836-1888

Surname: KNOWLES
Given Names: Thomas James
Event: M
Spouse Surname/Father: FLANAGAN
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Jane
Birth Place:
Death Place:
Year: 1861
Reg Number: 2576

Christine
Australia

Karyn Ogden
10-12-2005, 1:03 PM
Dear Christine

Thank you very sincerely for your work on my behalf. I hope that I can do the same for you soon. If there is anything you think I may be able to help with - please don't hesitate to let me know. If you, or anyone you know, needs info. from Tasmania in the New Year - I'd be more than willing to do some work for them whilst I'm over there - hope it will be in Feb 06.
Taking a break now for Christmas - my cake failed and I have to start again - and then there's the Gingerbread house I promised 3 grandchildren. Have a safe & healthy Festive season - I'll log on to see if I can help from time to time.
Regards Karyn |cheers|

ChristineR
10-12-2005, 1:14 PM
With the right marriage registration cd it only takes a few moments to fish out the information, so no great effort at all, and my friend was pleased to help.
Have a lovely Christmas Karyn,
Christine

Karyn Ogden
13-01-2006, 7:00 AM
Dear Christine,

This is a third attempt to thank you sincerely for your help with the Flanagans and Knowleses. It all came together when I got the marriage cert. and I realised that DebbieAnn's original record was correct. Now I have to retrieve a lot of records that I had discarded as irrelevant years ago. It's all fitting into place.

Thanks again
Karyn |hug|

ChristineR
13-01-2006, 1:42 PM
well done Karyn,

see what a difference a certificate makes - and so glad it had the info you needed. I was suprised you couldn't find the marriage in the index - but then I've never used anything but cds or the online index (paying a fee) but mostly other peoples help these days if I need a lookup! I would imagine trawling through a fiche or film would be tedious and you could easily miss it (plus from memory, you only looked in the one year)

Many thanks for letting me know of your good fortune,

Christine :D