PDA

View Full Version : help

roseangel
28-11-2005, 2:37 PM
Can anyone please tell me what the methodist church used to be called in Edensor Road Longton, it is now a business, and when it was built. Thankyou

Peter Goodey
28-11-2005, 4:56 PM
It appears to have been the Edensor Road Methodist New Connexion Chapel.

From memory, I think this would not have been part of mainstream Methodism, but a breakaway sect.

mary elms
28-11-2005, 5:33 PM
From memory, I think this would not have been part of mainstream Methodism, but a breakaway sect.Methodism fractured into a number of denominations after John Wesley's death in 1791. The Methodist New Connexion was amongst the first to secede - in 1797 - and as far as I remember there was a meeting in Leeds at which the principles of the New Connexion were laid down. I think the main points at issue were about how much say the local congregation should have in how the church is governed but I'd have to look it up to be sure.

By the second half of the 19th century the move was towards re-unification and the Methodist New Connexion joined with the United Free Methodists (the result of a previous union) and the Bible Christians to form the United Methodist Church in 1907. They in turn joined with the Primitives, Wesleyans & Irish Methodists to form The Methodist Church of Great Britain in 1932.

Mary.

Peter Goodey
28-11-2005, 6:05 PM
Thanks. I knew there would be an expert somewhere.

Where did Lady Huntingdon fit into all of this. Would her movement have counted as a Methodist sect? I've found something about her and she seems to have had an on-off relationship with Wesley.

mary elms
28-11-2005, 7:43 PM
Where did Lady Huntingdon fit into all of this. Ok we're moving away from the original question a little here but THERE's a name to be conjured with. Selina, Countess of Huntingdon was part of a dispute within early Methodism which centred around predestination. The Wesley's believed that all people can be saved and George Whitfield held the Calvinistic view that only those who are predestined can be saved. The tension was held in check because John Wesley and George Whitfield were friends but when George Whitfield died in 1770 things changed! The Countess was a Calvinistic Methodist.

As far as I remember, the Countess of Huntingdon supported ministers who followed the Methodist way by making them her chaplains, claiming that as a peer of the realm she could have as many C of E chapels and chaplains as she wished. When this option was withdrawn from her she registered her chapels as dissenting places of worship and formed them into a connexion in 1790. She died three months after John Wesley in 1791.

Like the Calvinistic Methodists in Wales, the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion has remained out of the various Methodist unions and outside mainstream Methodism which has remained Wesleyan in its theology despite its various disputes about churchmanship and organisation.

Mary.

mary elms
28-11-2005, 8:20 PM
Can anyone please tell me what the methodist church used to be called in Edensor Road Longton, it is now a business, and when it was built. Thankyou It looks like there might a book on the subject at the North Staffs Branch Library.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/billharrison/library.html

Scroll down the page to 'Books on Staffordshire Places'. There's a book titled 'Edensor Methodist Church Edensor Road'.

Mary.

Peter Goodey
28-11-2005, 9:01 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Mary (I was selfishly after some background about one of mine).

Back on topic, I should have mentioned about the "New Connexion" that my source was the entry in the Staffordshire Records Office catalogue. I have no personal knowledge of the place.

Make what you will of Staffs RO data!

mary elms
28-11-2005, 9:31 PM
The two bits of information make sense together Peter. A Methodist New Connexion chapel would have become a United Methodist chapel in 1907 and then a Methodist chapel or church in 1932.

Mary.

PS - Don't we all hope for that snippet of information that will illuminate our own family history! :D

roseangel
29-11-2005, 10:02 AM
thankyou for your help, it as been very useful.

roseangel
29-11-2005, 10:17 AM
asking for more help if possible, there is a old graveyard further down the road, now not used towards Goms Mill, there is no church or other building that seems to be connected to it, does anyone know if it ever belonged to a church, and if so which one. thankyou

Peter Goodey
29-11-2005, 12:37 PM
"there is a old graveyard further down the road, now not used towards Goms Mill"

A new thread might have been better |scold| (just had to try that one! ;) )

Unless someone with specific local knowledge appears, the best I can suggest is browsing the Staffs RO online catalogue.