Thread: Pensioner?

Clarinetguy

Default Pensioner?

Going through the 1871 census for Coates, Cambridgeshire (Whittlesey District 9) on page 22 I have come across a Christ. Hart who is given as (if I am reading it correctly) Pensioner and Agricultural Labourer yet he was only 39 at the time. Is that likely/possible?

Coromandel

It looks like he had an army pension: Findmypast in its 'British Army Service Records' collection has records for a Christopher Hart, born about 1832 in Whittlesea. These are from the Chelsea pension records at the National Archives (ref. WO 97).

Reputation beyond repute

In those days "pensioner" would almost always imply "army pensioner", usually described as "Chelsea pensioner".

Clarinetguy

That is fascinating - I hadn't even thought of it. Thanks to you both.

p. harrison

My ancestor was also a Chelsea Pensioner and an Agricultural Labourer[1841,1851,1861 census].He served in the army from1804-1827 and I obtained his discharge papers from the National Archives-Army Records.Hope this info.helps.

Reputation beyond repute

To avoid any possible confusion, the questioner needs to download the service record from Findmypast. The National Archives themselves won't supply copies from WO97 any more.

Clarinetguy

I downloaded the service record which is quite hard to read but it is clear he was injured in Delhi in 1857 but discharged in 1868 because of a more serious medical condition.