Mr.Potter

Default Introducing myself

Hi all - I lurk under the pseudonym of Mr. Potter. I live in Newquay, Cornwall, am retied and very, very old. Having been researching since 1995, and am stuck with my g-g-grandfather (if you see what I mean) who was born about 1790 in Birmingham - that is, I have a record of his baptism there, but have not been able to authenticate his parents. I had a breakthrough a few years ago when a distant cousin picked up my message on Curious Fox which linked my ancestor to his wife's family - it tuned out that they all lived in the same house in Coppice Row, Clerkenwell. I have yet to discover how John Cresswell came to be in London, and where he learned his trade of Brass Founder, sometimes described as Brass Finisher.

I shall now go and find my way around this very interesting forum!

Geoffers

Welcome to the forums, before you have a look around, make yourself a large cuppa (I usually get a couple of biscuits too), just to make the experience more enjoyable. Then get comfy and have a good long browse.

Good luck with your research, if you get stuck please ask

Hugh Thompson

Hello Mr Potter, and welcome to Brit Gen, get comfy and make yourself at home as we are all a friendly lot here.
    Hugh.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hallo Mr Potter,
    I suspect John would have learned his trade in Birmingham. In my husband's family there is a line of brass founders/finishers and even bell makers from Birmingham.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Potter View Post
    I live in Newquay, Cornwall, am retied and very, very old.
    !
    Hi and welcome. While I am an X-Londoner and now live in Canada, my Mum's family was all from Redruth, Gwithian and Stithians. The last time I saw Newquay was in 1959 - it was beautiful then and hope it hasn't changed.

Even from afar, I've received tons of help on this site - the people are great and Oh, so knowledgeable.

If the photo on your profile is a recent one, then you ain't so very old - just a very dignified 'elder gentleman'.

Enjoy yourself on this site
    Cheers
    Colin

MarkJ

Newquay eh? I know it well - having lived there myself until I was in my mid-twenties (and mother still lives in St Columb Minor!). When I was at school there, we learned a lot of the history of the area which at the time I admit I found fairly boring - but now I am proud to have a reasonable knowledge of the town and its development, much of which is not realised by the holidaymakers (or even most locals!).

Enjoy the forum

Mark

Marie C..

Hallo Mr. Potter,
    Welcome.
    I too am in Cornwall.
    My great, great grandfather was an iron founder from Leiston in Suffolk but when he joined the army he became a brass-founder.
    Marie

Mr.Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Marie C.. View Post
    Hallo Mr. Potter,
    Welcome.
    I too am in Cornwall.
    My great, great grandfather was an iron founder from Leiston in Suffolk but when he joined the army he became a brass-founder.
    Marie
    I have certainly been made very welcome and am very impressed by the friendly atmosphere on this site, I am at present in correspondence with two new friends through the brick wall section and will get back to them later on today. The Sun actually came out here in the afternoon but it was very cold with it. This morning the wind has gone round to the NW, didn't need to look at the weather vane as my joint told me! Have a good day, all.

Mr.Potter

Certainly been better today, but it looks like a return to the monsoon tomorrow, so I'll either be here in my Study or in the Workshop - there's always jobs to do! I have just finished my monthly 3-day diet and that freshly bake bread sounds good to me!
    Regards, C.