A fountain of knowledge

Default British Indian Army records

Myth or someone - can you tell me how to get a look at the British Indian Army records please. I have a great uncle who served with the BIA between 1845 and 1947 after serving in the NZ army between 1939 and 1944.

thanks

Irene

Mythology

Sorry, Irene - as 1845 is obviously a typo for 1945, I have absolutely no idea!

"History" doesn't start until you get back to about 1900 with me. Apart from tying up a few loose ends with things like WW1 (not WW2!) deaths, I don't usually follow up later stuff and really don't have a clue about anything that modern.

I'm sure someone else will know though.

A fountain of knowledge

Myth you disappoint me - He who knows all. Who has relaies from kings all the way down to the lowest surf(is that spelt right). Who has an ancestor who waved the family banner in WW1 or was it II(sorry I'd have to go back and look) and you can't tell me - bugger!

It was last century Myth, not this Hell. I've just relised that I was born in the first half of last century! It doesn't bear thinking about!

Irene

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Irene Hall
    Myth or someone - can you tell me how to get a look at the British Indian Army records please. I have a great uncle who served with the BIA between 1845 and 1947 after serving in the NZ army between 1939 and 1944.
    I stand to be corrected on this, but my understanding is that soldiers of the British Army were attached to the Indian Army for the duration of the posting (vague recollection of this being something to do with reforms implemented by Kitchener); as such I believe that their records will be held by the MoD and currently only available to next-of-kin.
    The MoD web-site has a contact address which ought to be able to provide a full answer.

Geoffers

A fountain of knowledge

Rats! I guessed that would be the case Geoffers. Bother! or words to that effect!!

OK Thanks Geoffers, will try them and see what happens.

Irene