Pegasus

Question Edwards (Nailmaker/Blacksmith)

I have been trying to trace My EDWARDS Ancestors (from Liverpool, back via Ireland to Wales)!

I have them on the 1861 Census in Liverpool:

John EDWARDS 53Yrs old,Head, Nailmaker, Bn Ireland
    Ann EDWARDS 47Yrs old,Wife, , Bn Ireland
    Whitefield EDWARDS, Son, 24Yrs old, Shoemaker, Bn Ireland
    William EDWARDS, Son, 15Yrs old, Nailmaker , Bn Ireland
    Margaret EDWARDS, Daut, 10Yrs old, Scholar, Bn Liverpool, Lanc's
    Joseph EDWARDS, Son, ?? Yrs old, Scholar, Bn Liverpool, Lanc's
    Jane EDWARDS, Daut, 7Yrs old, Scholar, Bn Liverpool, Lanc's

According to Family Legend, My EDWARDS Ancestors came from North Wales (on the Angelsey side of the Menai Strait), & most of them can be found buried in St Tysilios Cemetary (which can be seen on the lefthand side near the shore as You crossover the Menai Bridge)

Also, My Mother (& Grt Aunts) can remember seeing a Picture (Oil Painting) of the Old [Wooden] Menia Bridge, on the Wall in My Grt-Grandparents House in Everton, Liverpool! (This Painting was Lost in 1959-60 when the Family moved home prior to the Area being Demolished)

Has Anyone ever came across this Family in Ireland?

I think they may Also have been Horse Traders?

Wirral

I can only find 2 Whitefield/Whitfield EDWARDS in England & Wales in the 1861 census. The other one is:
    RG9/2647 p15 f60 Price Lane, Oxton, Cheshire
    Whitfield Edwards head M 25 bootmaker, Tipperary Ireland
    Margaret Edwards wife M 32 Scotland
    William Runciman stepson 11 Birkenhead Cheshire
    Peter Runciman stepson 9 Birkenhead Cheshire
    James Runciman stepson 7 Birkenhead Cheshire
    George Edwards brother U 18 bootmaker Tipperary Ireland
    Robert Moore boarder U 21 gardener County Down Ireland

Could he be related to your Whitefield Edwards?

Pegasus

Wirral.

I think they could be related?

According to what My Aunt told Me (when I found the Census that stated they came from Ireland) they came to Liverpool from 'Tor Tor, Tipperary'!

I have not been able to confirm this though (I sent a mail to one of the Tipperary Historic Societies, but hav'nt recieved a reply from them, Yet!).

P.S.

Sorry for taking so long to reply to Your post.

Pegasus

Update!

First, Apols for forgetting that I had posted this Thread!

I got this reply (the day after My last posting):

Thank you for your email seeking information on your Edwards ancestors. A quick glance at our records reveals that there is evidence that we can supply you with the baptismal records of three children to a Whitefield Edwards and his wife.
    This Whitefield could be a brother of your John. His occupation is also a nailer so I think must be connected.
    Again a quick glance did not show John and Ann's children or births.
    But we will do a more detailed search if you wish to pursue same.We will also be seaching the death records and land records and gravestone inscriptions.
    The fee for our research would be £150.00 stg.
    If you wish us to proceed with the search please forward us a personal cheque for £150.00 stg., made payable to North Tipperary Genealogy & Heritage Services. We do not have a credit card facility.
    Yours sincerely,

Well, I had to tell Nora that I can't Afford their Fee (at this time), but it does show that I am on the right track!