Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KatieB

Default Martha Jane Davies c1854-1857

My fathers Great-Grand Mother was Martha Jane Davies daughter of George Davies a coal miner she was born 1854-1857 (her age varied on documents) in Saundersfoot(sp) Pembrokeshire.
    She married James Elliott 18th August 1884 giving her age as 30 in the English Wesleyan Chaple in Merthyr Tydfil.
    They had a son Herbert George Elliott b 14th June 1885 at 26 Glendower Street, Dowlis.
    James Elliott died 1886 and Martha remarried William Thomas Reid 26th December 1890 in Siloam Baptist Chaple, Llanelly, Breconshire. Her father was still alive at the time and Martha gives her age as 33! She had 4 more children the youngest born in 1902.

The marriges were witnessed by Mary Davies (1st) and Ann Davies(2nd) who maybe related.

I can't find George any census and can only find Martha in Brynmawr 1891 and Aston nr Birmingham 1901.
    Does any one know anything more about the family or where I could start looking?

Wirral

In the 1881 census, there is a George Davies, coalminer age 43, born Saundersfoot + lots of family at 10 railway St, St Issells, Pembrokeshire RG11/5407 page 7 folio 89. He could just about be Martha Jane's father if she was born 1857. No sign of her although there is a possibly Jane working as a servant elsewhere.

Mark

How do you know her father was still alive on the occasion of the marriages?

Although sometimes you do see the word (deceased) in the father's name & occupation section of the certificate, it's not always there when the father is dead. The form didn't ask whether the father was dead or alive, just for his name and occupation.

I'm looking through the 1861 Wales on Ancestry, and can't immediately see any Martha's shown as dau's of George.

I'd suggest going through the birth indexes for 1852-1858 and seeing how many Martha Jane Davies there are registered in Pembroke, then applying for one or more certificates based on the father's name of George using the references you've found.

There are at least a couple of George Davies death index entries in Pembroke too on FreeBMD pre-1861, but in that era the age at death isn't in the index.

Mark

KatieB

Mark on both marriage certificts her husbands father has decesed written by his name so I am assuming that if her father was dead it would also be stated.
    There are 100's of Martha and Martha Jane Davies registered in Pembrokeshire between those years! I was hoping someone may have come across the family at some time and help to narrow it down a bit!

Wirral I have followed that family through the census of 1861 and 1871 and I am pretty sure it is not them as no Martha appears with them.

Thank you both anyway.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by KatieB
    Mark on both marriage certificts her husbands father has decesed written by his name so I am assuming that if her father was dead it would also be stated.
    Probably a good assumption then.

There are 100's of Martha and Martha Jane Davies registered in Pembrokeshire between those years! I was hoping someone may have come across the family at some time and help to narrow it down a bit!
    There are 42 George Davies of all ages in Pembrokeshire according to Ancestry's index in 1851 ... and 34 Martha (or Martha J*) Davies in the 1861 Ancestry index for 1861 born between 1853-1857 living in Pembrokeshire.

Wirral I have followed that family through the census of 1861 and 1871 and I am pretty sure it is not them as no Martha appears with them.

Thank you both anyway.
    Mark

Wirral

Have you tried the George Davies, iron miner, living in Amroth in the 1861 census RG9/4148 p5 f21? He has a daughter Martha age 5. Amroth is next to Saundersfoot.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral
    Have you tried the George Davies, iron miner, living in Amroth in the 1861 census RG9/4148 p5 f21? He has a daughter Martha age 5. Amroth is next to Saundersfoot.
    And in 1851, George & Jane DAVIES are the son-in-law and daughter of Robert & Anne PHILLIPPS at Amroth on
    HO 107 / 2475 / ED 7a folio 345 page 2 schedule 14

Mark

Mark

The this 1881 Census from the LDS index might be relevant

George DAVIES Head M Male 57 Pembroke, Wales Coal Miner
    Jane DAVIES Wife M Female 55 Pembroke, Wales Coal Miners Wife
    Sarah DAVIES Daur U Female 21 Pembroke, Wales Home Assistant
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Source Information:
    Dwelling 96 King Street
    Census Place Llangattock, Brecon, Wales
    Family History Library Film 1342314
    Public Records Office Reference RG11
    Piece / Folio 5464 / 65
    Page Number 10

Wirral

Following on from Mark's 1851 details, here are the full 1861 details.
    RG9/4148 p5 f21 schedule 16, Carnor, Amroth, Pembrokeshire
    George Davies, head M Iron miner, Pembrokeshire Amroth
    Jane Davies wife M 35 Amroth
    Elizabeth Davies dau 9 scholar Amroth
    Ann Davies dau 8 scholar Amroth
    Martha Davies dau 5 scholar Amroth
    Sarah Davies dau 3 Amroth
    Ann Phillips lodger wid 77 pauper Amroth

Wirral

1871 census RG10/5586 p25 f16 Kings Street & Cemetery Road, Llangattock, Breconshire
    Jane Davies head M 45 charwoman Pembrokeshire Amroth
    Ann Davies dau U 18 laundress Amroth
    Mary Davies dau U 15 housemaid Amroth
    Martha Davies dau 13 Amroth
    Sarah Davies dau 11 Amroth

Jane is married, not widowed, so George must be away for the night.
    Last edited by Wirral; 15-11-2005 at 7:05 PM. Reason: Wrote Ann instead of Jane for head of household.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast