Thread: Banns

Starting to feel at home

Default Banns

Not sure is this is the place to post this question? Its to do with reading of the banns before a marriage.
    I have a marriage certificate of two ancestors William Woodall and Catherine Cheetham. married 23 July 1872 at St Nicolas church in Nottingham.he was for Dalston in London she was from Nottingham. After marriage she moves to London to live with him, a Solicitor. The certificates does say "after banns" Id not given this much thought. Until yesterday when 'Find My Past' as it does through up a 'hint'. the hint does tie in with these two but its for a banns reading at St Clement Danes church in Westminster.
    So, would that be correct would banns have to be read at both churches because that's their home parish's? Could banns be read in London and the wedding take place in Nottingham?

Famous for offering help & advice

Ancestry has the image of the banns from St Clements Dane.

Banns read - 23rd June,30th June & 7th July.

William Woodall bachelor of this parish.
    Catherine Cheetham,spinster of the Parish of St Nicholas Nottingham.

Yes I think banns would be read in both parishes before the wedding.

Starting to feel at home

Once again I have to thank you pamelawagster. every day is a learning day!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Banns would be read in the parishes of both the bride and groom, so that the widest possible audience would have the possibility to object, either on a civil law basis or a church law basis.

"Hardwicke's" 1753 Act - nothing like a drop of legalese on a sleepy Sunday.

https://statutes.org.uk/site/the-sta...ine-marriages/
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Well if it wasn't a "sleepy Sunday" it is now!! I'm sure the William Woodall I mentioned in my opening post, a newly qualified solicitor would have read every word with joy to make sure his marriage was not going to break any law.
    I can't see after the responses from my original post anyone could say my question has not been thoroughly answered, I'm off to the pub to tell all my friends about my new knowledge.
    thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by dazelliott View Post
    Well if it wasn't a "sleepy Sunday" it is now!!
    I see you got my drift!
    regards
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

if they were allowed here a thumbs up or laughing face smiley would be appropriate.

Remember that the Banns did not always show the birth parish. If someone went to work in another parish, for example, they should be registered with the local church.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Remember that the Banns did not always show the birth parish. If someone went to work in another parish, for example, they should be registered with the local church.
    Yes, that was the case here, William Woodall Solicitor training in 1871 was taking place at Lincoln's Inn, it was a live-in position, looking at the maps, St Clements Dane church was the closest.